Building Tips and technical articles. > Building techniques

Klasskote Again

(1/3) > >>

Ron King:
Folks,

Here is the new bird. It came out a little heavy (67 ounces), but that was because I originally built it for the big 75 engines. I remember Dirty Dan writing about "Over-engineering" (or out-thinking) ourselves in one of his early Stunt News columns and I'm afraid that's what I did.

Anyway - the plane actually flies better than I thought it would. The PA 65 is more than enough power and I think it will actually be competitive next season.

The finish is 100 percent Klasskote over silkspan and nitrate dope. The Klasskote epoxy sprays very well, covers like gangbusters, and is just as easy to handle as dope or lacquer. I took Dave Platt's advice and used Satin catalyst for everything until the final clear coat. The satin color coats were easy to sand (I use 1500 - 2000 to knock off the masking edges) and the gloss clear really sparkles.

After using the epoxy clear, I'm not going back to dope or urethane.  ~>

Later,

Ron

Greg L Bahrman:
Really Beautiful Ron... Whats the point of using the Satin Catalyst ?
Thanks

Ron King:

--- Quote from: Greg L Bahrman on November 01, 2006, 11:50:33 AM ---Really Beautiful Ron... Whats the point of using the Satin Catalyst ?
Thanks

--- End quote ---

Greg,

It sets up quicker, sands easier, and doesn't build up weight as fast.

I'll admit, it doesn't look as good - until you put on that clear coat. Then it really sparkles.  <=

I also went back and used some of the leftover clear on one of my butyrate ships. The Klasskote went right over the top with no problems (I didn't expect any) and brought the shine right back to my little classic Oriental. (More pictures coming soon.)

Ron

Bill Little:
I gotta get some Klasscoat.  This winter looks like a good time to sgtart using it!

Bill <><

Ron Merrill:
Question, i like to use an airbrush to fuelproof engine compartment with, can Klasskote be thinned enough to airbrush? Ron.  AP^

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version