News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:04:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Klass Kote-brushing and Preval sprayer  (Read 1073 times)

Offline David Ebers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Klass Kote-brushing and Preval sprayer
« on: June 11, 2021, 10:04:58 AM »
I would like some advice as to how to paint Klass Kote with a brush. What kind of brush, how much thinner?

Also some advice painting Klass Kote with a Preval sprayer.

Thanks in advanced.

David

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Klass Kote-brushing and Preval sprayer
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 10:53:30 AM »
I just use cheap throwaway brushes.

I'm skert to spray any epoxy.   Overspray would be death, unless you have a proper booth.  Also, cleaning the gear would be an issue.

Klass Kote recommends no more than 50% thinner (equal to either of the two parts).

The thinner is to be added after the two parts are mixed.   

I don't thin the Klass Kote because I think the brushed-on clear with thinner is attack the dope and make a mess.
Paul Smith

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 01:15:02 PM »
I just use cheap throwaway brushes.

I'm skert to spray any epoxy.   Overspray would be death, unless you have a proper booth.  Also, cleaning the gear would be an issue.

Klass Kote recommends no more than 50% thinner (equal to either of the two parts).

That's what they recommend, however, good luck getting that through an airbrush. I have had good results thinning it using the normal standards, which frequently winds up with *much more* than recommended. I hesitate to get specific because different colors are different thickness, and require different proportions of thinner. White, in particular, has the consistency of pudding or cake icing.

The issue they are concerned with using excess thinner is "solvent trapping", where the thinner does not evaporate before the epoxy cures, leaving the thinner trapped in the paint making it soft. This is particularly true with the #500 Reducer, which has a pretty low evaporation rate. Even with that, I have never had a problem with solvent trapping with KlassKote at a reasonable range of temperatures. because the cure rate is also pretty slow, and we never put on much film thickness.   It might be a bigger problem brushing it (K&B used to make a slower, "brushing catalyst") but in very limited brushing it always set up properly and after about a week had the consistency of diamonds.

What few problem I have had with KlassKote are related to not thinning it enough. It sprays beautifully with a touch-up gun or airbrush if you get it thin enough. If you don't it can be a really painful hour of trying to get enough paint out of the gun.

Brett

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 02:04:45 PM »
The Preval system works OK but freezes up quickly. Harbor Freight has some very good guns for little money.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here