Building Tips and technical articles. > Building techniques

Jetco Dolphin Laser Cut kit

(1/10) > >>

Juan Valentin:

I bought on ebay a laser cut Jetco Dolphin from Penn valley Hobby Center and I`m building it. When I received it i was pleased with the quality of the wood used. The kit includes a set of SIG plastic and metal horns,SIG bellcrank,foam wheels including tail wheel, wire landing gear ,metal pushrods and a plastic canopy. The sent  original plans and a copy of the Dolphin magazine article.I never build the kits as they are in the box,always find things that I like to change. I made a tool to splice the spars and then I started building the wing. I placed all the ribs on the spars and leading edge with pins and made sure was straight before using CA to glue them .The center ribs were 1/16 inch short at the front so I added some shims.Here are some pics.
                                                                                                                  Juan

Juan Valentin:
Some more pictures of the dolphin wing.I replaced the 1/8 of an inch wing tips and went with 1/4 inch to install adjustable leadouts. I have also installed a weight box. I will be posting more pictures is just that I have to resize them.
                                                                                                           Juan

wwwarbird:

Lookin' great! y1

That's the same way I splice spars whenever necessary, with an aggressive angular cut.

Some additional tips: I usually like to CA a piece of 1/64" plywood on the front and rear sides too, to help support the splice. The other thing I do is offset the splices within the wing structure. I'll put the top spar splice roughly in the center or toward the tip of the inboard wing panel and then the bottom spar splice the same on the outboard panel, or vice versa. I see that your past that point already on the Dolphin here Juan, just a suggestion for others reading this.

Juan Valentin:

A few more pictures Of the wing with the flaps temporarily attached,tip weight box and the beginning of the fuse construction.I used 1/64 ply for a fuselage doubler since the plane was not designed with them for my peace of mind . I also made my own elevator control horn,since the space at the back was tight I decided to use a 4-40 kwik link that I improved a bit. I wrapped the threaded area with copper to make sure it would not spread and soldered the wire and applied a solder fillet to the riveted pin. I used Stay brite silver solder. I built the fuse on a jig that I made to make sure I had a straight fuse. will post more pics later.
                                Juan

Juan Valentin:
more pics.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version