News:

• March 28, 2024, 12:49:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Recessed tank mount ideas  (Read 1590 times)

Dwayne

• Trade Count: (0)
Recessed tank mount ideas
« on: December 22, 2018, 11:34:05 AM »
Hi all, I'm build a profile with a recessed tank and  needing some ideas how to hold it in place, there will be a 1/4" tripler on the inboard side.
Thanks  y1

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Recessed tank mount ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 12:08:05 PM »
Many ways of doing it with a little thought.  First thought is a metal strap bent to hold the tank with two screws through he strap into the ply.   Silicon glue is for a semi permanent mount.  Hooks with rubber bands is ages old.   Just look at some of the pictures of planes and imagine the tank is inset between the motor mounts. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 01:26:56 PM »
Bury a couple of strong Neodymium magnets in the tripler from the inside, overcoat with epoxy and switch to a metal tank. Never seen it done that way before. You can be the first with these new features:

Rapid, tool-less tank repairs right on the flightline

Easy to slide the tank up or down for trimming and reinstall your packing shims.

Built in metal trap in your tank. No more fouling of the fuel feed by steel particles. Think this is absurd? If you run pressure you are putting whatever comes out your exhaust right back into the engine

No rubber bands to rot, screws to lose, or tank straps to harden and crack

And you will be on the leading edge of profile stunt development!

This advertisement brought to you by Divot McSlow

Dwayne

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 01:32:31 PM »
Many ways of doing it with a little thought.  First thought is a metal strap bent to hold the tank with two screws through he strap into the ply.   Silicon glue is for a semi permanent mount.  Hooks with rubber bands is ages old.   Just look at some of the pictures of planes and imagine the tank is inset between the motor mounts. D>K
Metal strap! I like it, thanks!!  y1 #^ ~>

Dwayne

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 02:11:28 PM »
Well that was easy, the strap bolts together under the tank, needs to be tweaked a bit and cleaned up but once painted it will look real slick, thanks for the replies.   y1 ;D

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 03:35:57 PM »
That is a lot neater than my set up. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 03:52:14 PM »
   Turn that tank 1/4 turn and have it mount on the widest side. I think they feed better, metal or plastic, when the fuel load and pick up is as close to the center as practical. Most modern profile designs have room to mount this way. Make a ply wood or light metal mounting piece to glue the tank to, with slots on each end to allow for up and down movement. Attach the tray to the fuselage with those threaded inserts. While the tank is still new, attach the tank to the tray with silicone adhesive. If you need to change the tank you can work it off with a putty knife. Makes for a nice clean installation.  You can also hold the tank to the tray with a couple of zip ties also. I'm sure this has been covered before and photos are on the forums somewhere.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

If using metal straps, make absolutely certain that there are no sharp edges or burrs on the strip that can work through the tank when the engine is running. It would take as long as you think to do that.
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 11:05:10 PM »
I just use rubber bands that wrap around "J"-shaped piano wire pieces that I notch and epoxy into pre-drilled holes above and below the tank recess.

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 02:19:05 PM »
Both of those set ups look great, only problem is tank is locked in, no adjustment up or down if tweaking is needed to get a good run normal and inverted. I have a few profiles and almost all needed to be adjusted high or low for proper run.

Rich

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 07:49:27 PM »
Both of those set ups look great, only problem is tank is locked in, no adjustment up or down if tweaking is needed to get a good run normal and inverted. I have a few profiles and almost all needed to be adjusted high or low for proper run.

Rich

That is why you build the mount separate and attach the tank to the mount, then install the mount as I described in my previous post. You should know about where to mount the tank and really only need about 1/2" total up and down movement for fine tuning, and if using a plastic tank you can rotate the cork. I have seen guys glue the tank to the mount, strap it in with zip ties, metal straps and the good old rubber band. You just need to make sure you have the room for it and that starts with planning the project at the very beginning.
   Type at you later and
  HAPPY NEW YEAR!
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 08:57:24 PM »
'sorry to have been "gone" for a while due to life getting in the way. My tank recess, as pictured allows for wedging to adjust the height. A cradle can also be inserted. -

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here