Building Tips and technical articles. > Building techniques

Installing a clear canopy on the top block - groove or glue?

(1/2) > >>

Dennis Toth:
I am getting to the point where the top block is finished shaped and I need to get the canopy ready to install. This is a sewn Barnstormer canopy in the past I would just sit it on the block and glue it in place. I am wondering if maybe with this canopy being a bit springy if I should lay it out and cut a groove to sit it into then add a small fillet to cover the groove? What have you guys done?

Best,   DennisT

Ken Culbertson:

--- Quote from: Dennis Toth on May 22, 2022, 07:55:20 AM ---I am getting to the point where the top block is finished shaped and I need to get the canopy ready to install. This is a sewn Barnstormer canopy in the past I would just sit it on the block and glue it in place. I am wondering if maybe with this canopy being a bit springy if I should lay it out and cut a groove to sit it into then add a small fillet to cover the groove? What have you guys done?

Best,   DennisT

--- End quote ---
I grove and fillet all of mine.  Always have.  The Canopy goes on as soon as the cockpit detail is finished and double masked so I don't damage it.  The double mask lets me sand into the tape for a clean edge.

Ken

fred cesquim:
i usually mask the outside of the canopy, sand a lip of 1/8 with 150 grit sandpaper ( outside) and run a mix of epoxy/micro baloon
no need to groove as the apoxy outside will press the canopy firmly and it cannot colapse to the inside due to the oval shape

Don Jenkins:
I sand the area where the canopy will sit so I get a real nice fit, then use 30 minute epoxy to glue in place.  I have used both super fill and fiberglass resin with micro balloons for the fillet, followed by careful sanding with good results.  Good luck.

Don

Jim Hoffman:
I do much like Don Jenkins above. Notice the relief on the turtle deck.  Except............

I use RC-56 adhesive.  It is meant specifically for plastics and is more ductile than epoxy when cured.  I also now use it for hinges.

I did use 30-minute epoxy for years, but now prefer the RC-56

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version