Building Tips and technical articles. > Building techniques

Installing a clear canopy on the top block - groove or glue?

<< < (2/2)

Ken Culbertson:
R%%%%

I am having a hard time getting a canopy to glue.  Seems the only place you can find Sig canopies anymore is Sig.  They want $15 shipping for a $5 canopy.  Everything is ARF replacements.  Found one that looked decent for $16 on the Bay - $17 shipping.  Horizon had them for $14 - $16 shipping.  HobbyKing - nothing but ARF replacements.  Hobbytown - on backorder for almost everything.  I had a drawer full before the fire, always buy two.  One for the plane and one for the repair following the inverted landing.  Had a lot of the leftovers.  For $35 just for the canopy I can start to warm up to balsa, but I will never like it.

And then I went to Tower for one last shot at it.  $10 for 2 and $4 shipping. The life of a 2x2x3 balsa block has just been spared.  #^

Ken

Dennis Toth:
Ken,
Shipping is the big problem for many items. I have been able to call and order in to Brodak for things I didn't need quick and had them ship in normal mail not priority and it was reasonable, worth a try.

Best,     DennisT

Trostle:

--- Quote from: Ken Culbertson on May 24, 2022, 03:25:22 PM ---R%%%%

Everything is ARF replacements.  Horizon had them for $14 - $16 shipping.  HobbyKing - nothing but ARF replacements.  Hobbytown - on backorder for almost everything.

Ken

--- End quote ---

I do not intend to further take this thread off topic, but Keith Sparks of Park Flyers has many canopies of all shapes and sizes.  Prices seem reasonable.  Shipping will be as reasonable as any.  My experience has been the quality is good.  Worth a look.

http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index

Keith

Ken Culbertson:

--- Quote from: Trostle on May 24, 2022, 07:45:59 PM ---I do not intend to further take this thread off topic, but Keith Sparks of Park Flyers has many canopies of all shapes and sizes.  Prices seem reasonable.  Shipping will be as reasonable as any.  My experience has been the quality is good.  Worth a look.

http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index

Keith

--- End quote ---
You were right.  Great selection and really good prices & shipping.

Ken

FLOYD CARTER:
A neater job results by first cutting a shallow groove for the canopy edges, then use a ball point pen to form a deeper groove.  This completely hides the canopy edges.  Making a fillet usually isn't necessary if there is no edge to hide.  I also use RC-56 because any extra that gets onto the canopy dries transparent.  Epoxy always shows and you can't scrape it off where it doesn't belong.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version