News:

• May 14, 2024, 08:17:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I want to be thrifty! Don't throw away those Replicards!!!  (Read 731 times)

Offline Robert McHam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
I want to be thrifty! Don't throw away those Replicards!!!
« on: March 16, 2007, 12:42:44 AM »
So,have you ever seen those fake credit cards that get sent to you in the mail? Mostly they come from banks offering credit cards. Tons of these things get tossed into the waste without ever being seen. I will for the sake of this article call them "replicards". You turn them over and they state plainly "not a credit card"

What do you do with those? Toss them? What about the Credit cards you no longer use? The most obvious answer is you cut them up so they cannot be used and toss them.

I am here to tell you to go ahead and cut them up but don't throw them out.

Here are a few ways to make use of these once useless items!

For half A planes you can cut elevator control horns from them.

Use a hole punch to cut small discs and drill a hole in the middle. Now use these free plastic washers under bellcranks or as shims for engine offset. Use these same discs as wheel spacers so the the wheel does not ride up on the bend in the wire.

Use them as a rather nice disposable spreader or squeegee for epoxy, fillers for dents, 

Some of of these only look like p-lastic cards but a closer look will show there just paper. These too can be used. I use them for 90 degree angles to check alignment of bulkheads, vertical fins and interplane struts (when they are supposed to be 90 degrees).
Also wing ribs! you can cut slots in them 1/16" 3/32" and 1/8" wide to straddle each wing rib and hold them till the glue sets. 

I keep two stacks of them one paper one plastic. When they

For really small planes like .020 or .010 powered you can use them to make the bellcranks. You can use them to make offset hinges for landing gear doors and bomb bay doors.

Cut a tall narrow triangle with a small base  for a radio antenna for a scale like effect when you are not after points. Even for the top "V" of other types of antennea.

These are just some of the ways I thought of in a short sitting I will edit as I remember more. Its late now and I am tired!

Anyone else? 

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
Re: I want to be thrifty! Don't throw away those Replicards!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 08:09:57 AM »
Great ideas.  I especially like the idea of slotting them to keep wing ribs straight.  I've used the ones made from real credit card plastic between the engine and wood bearers to help distrbute the pressure; sure helps keep the engine lugs from crushing the wood.  We need to keep a "close hold" on this info so the credit companies, when they see how we use their cards, won't stop sending them.  ;D  BTW, I like to send the postage-paid envelopes back to them, either empty, or stuffed with advertisements from other companies.  >:D    Glen
Glen Wearden

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
Re: I want to be thrifty! Don't throw away those Replicards!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 09:54:18 AM »
Quote by Glen:
"BTW, I like to send the postage-paid envelopes back to them, either empty, or stuffed with advertisements from other companies."

Heh heh! Glen you just ain't right! 'Bout like myself!

On smaller models you can cut those slots for more than one rib to also help with spacing  incase there are no slots in the Leading and trailing edges.

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here