News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:15:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I Can't Remember Who to Thank  (Read 952 times)

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
I Can't Remember Who to Thank
« on: March 19, 2021, 06:54:23 AM »
Several years ago somebody here asked about everyone's favorite task when building - installing hinges.

Somebody posted a technique for melting Vasoline, doubling over the hinge and then dipping the hinge point in the melted Vasoline. Works great! Whether installing full hinges or making removable surfaces it has saved me untold hours cleaning up extra glue and I always end up with perfectly free hinges.

This morning I went down to the shop to see how my hinge work from last night was doing and once again, maybe a slight "pop" when I first moved them and then they fall under their own weight.

Thanks, whoever you are!

Chuck
AMA 76478

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: I Can't Remember Who to Thank
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 08:04:22 AM »
   I first saw that in a Windy tapes years ago I think, and I'm sure many others have also through the years. probably has been mentioned more that once in the time that SH has been on line. Sometimes I don't even bother melting down the Vaseline, I just rub it along the barrel carefully. Any kind of plastic compatible oil that you could apply by the drop to the hinge barrel would work also. That is the only problem I could think of with the Vaseline trick, would it soften the plastic of the hinge over time?? Petroleum based lubes can do that to plastic.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here