News:

• May 02, 2024, 10:23:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I beam build (photo's) More added  (Read 1285 times)

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
I beam build (photo's) More added
« on: September 29, 2006, 05:40:35 PM »
The opening act is getting all the sub-assembly's together. I still don't have a ele&stab but I will forgo that until I get the fuse and wing laid out. The first shot shows the basic kit ready to start. As it happens I have two shots, so I will include that one as well. The only gluing I have done so far is the doublers with a CF sandwich in between. I used slow set epoxy for this. The beam was made with a 3/8 balsa core and doubled with light ply in the center. It has doublers and triplers for strength.

The construction on this model will be slightly different that I usually do for a beam wing. Th differences being, The beam is made differently than I normally do, the doublers are different than I normally do for a beam wing airframe and the Leading edge is like the Tom Morris system. I thought I would incorporate modern building techniques all in one old time/modern airframe.

I am quite pleased with the progress. Tonight I glued the motor mounts together and got the spar ready to glue in. I have changed things a little for this plane. I will go out on a limb a little . In my opinion I beam wings are best suited for the smaller classic style planes. There have been some larger one built by others that have worked quite well. I have not ever seen these planes other than finished,so I don't know how they were constructed inside.

The changes I have made on this plane because it will have a 60 wingspan and be using a modern power-plant are as follows. The spar is glued to the motor mounts (seen in the 3rd photo) and the bell crank is attached to the motor mounts as seen in the 4th photo. I think this will give it a positive feel in the air. The other changes will be the landing gear mounts. In the old I beam airplanes the LG wire is attached to the beam. I will run a platform from the beam to the leading edge and use the removable type landing gear that Bob Hunt uses. I think this will give me more flexibility in landing gear lengths.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 10:17:25 PM by Robert Storick »
AMA 12366

Offline ebonbetta

• Ensign
Re: I beam build (photo's) More added
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 09:37:16 PM »
Looking at the photo of the Ibeam going thru the fuselage. Is the center of the I-beam have a plywood doubler that goes right across the joint ? about 12"  or so long ?

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 09:42:35 PM »
it's 18 inches long light ply. 1/8 x 1/2 x 4 inches top cap aircraft ply and then the triplers.
AMA 12366

Offline ebonbetta

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 11:51:24 PM »
The beam is 3/8 balsa. From what I see I am assuming it is double tapered. Top and bottom taper evenly as you go outboard ? Is the beam also slotted on the outboard section ?

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 06:30:18 AM »
The beam is 3/8 balsa. From what I see I am assuming it is double tapered. Top and bottom taper evenly as you go outboard ? Is the beam also slotted on the outboard section ?

Yes it is a double tapered wing. No slot on the out board side. The slot is for the leadouts to pass through.
AMA 12366

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 11:39:14 AM »
Sparky,

I think you said so before, but this model is an original design, right?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 03:40:05 PM »
yes
AMA 12366

Offline Bill Sawyer

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 10:24:52 PM »
Robert are you going to add something like this for pull test bracing? It gives you a place to put your hands when pulling that puts the stress right at the belcrank. Top and bottom of the spar.
Bill Sawyer
AMA 53987
Windancer Models

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here