News:

• January 19, 2018, 06:29:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hutch's P-38 Lightning  (Read 10798 times)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Hutch's P-38 Lightning
« Reply #100 on: January 05, 2018, 10:10:02 PM »
 I almost always use nylon control horns on my stuff. When using them it's a good idea to reinforce that mounting area to add strength, and also make the control surface more resistant to crushing when tightening the horns on final installation. Before the control surfaces get their silkspan I've got a routine for this reinforcement using 1/64" plywood and drywall spackling. These photos show reinforcing the elevator for the P-38, it uses two horns, one on each end.

First, I add a 1/64" plywood reinforcement piece to the horn mounting area using CA, doing both the top and bottom of the control surface. Next I'll put a sanding reference around the control surface using some low-tack blue tape. Then goop on the spackling, making sure it's thick enough to fill what will end up being the transition area from the plywood surface back down to the original control surface. It doesn't have to be pretty, just make sure you add enough of it to do the job.
 Let the spackling dry overnight to make sure it's set up well all the way through. Then take a FLAT sanding tool of choice and slowly and carefully sand the spackling down to where it's level and even with the plywood, and the plywood is showing again completely. A sanding bar with 320 works best for this process. Then, start to angle your sanding bar down from the plywood to the original control surface, aiming at the blue tape reference line. Keep sanding at this angle until you've sanded all the way through the spackling right at the tape line. You want your sanding "goal" with all of this to be a straight and level surface from the edge of the plywood over and down to the tape reference line.
 Once you have everything sanded to this point then CAREFULLY remove the blue tape, pulling it off by keeping it flat against the control surface and at an angle away from the spackling. After that the area should just need a minor touch up with some 600 or 800 to completely smooth the transition and have it all ready for silkspan.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 09:36:21 PM by wwwarbird »
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A.
IC Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Crist Rigotti

• Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2018, 11:13:34 PM »
Hey Crist, what do you think of this paint scheme?

I like it!  I like it a lot!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Crist Rigotti

• Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2018, 11:18:16 PM »
Sweet on the spackle thing.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2018, 11:20:10 AM »
What I do in a case like this is to feather the edges of the ply doublers before gluing, eliminating the need for the spackling.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2018, 02:35:48 PM »
I do the same as Allan.  I just make the ply piece an eighth of an inch bigger all the way round and feather it out.  Saves all the spackling work.  Love watching this build.....I have got to get back on my F6F.  I turned the fuselage into a banana and it put me in a funk about her.
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2018, 09:28:16 PM »
 Allan and Glenn's way certainly works well too, and is actually what I used to do. I'm just showing the way I've done it for quite a while now. I've found that done carefully as shown, and after the silkspan and final finish, this spackle routine allows you to "spread out" the transition distance more, leaving a virtually unnoticeable reinforcement. 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2018, 09:32:33 PM »
I like it!  I like it a lot!

I thought you might!  ;D

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A.

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2018, 04:36:43 PM »
Hi wwwarbird, I can certainly see how your feathered edge would be far less conspicuous than mine.  I don't do "real" scale....I'm more of a  stand-way-the-heck-off scale kind of guy.  The way I do it, it looks good from twenty feet away....lol  And I'm real sorry, I didn't mean any disrespect to your way of doing things.
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2018, 05:53:06 PM »
  And I'm real sorry, I didn't mean any disrespect to your way of doing things.

None taken at all Glenn, just showing my current method for those who might want to give it a try.

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A.

Offline john e. holliday

• Admiral
« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2018, 10:41:10 AM »
Yes, there are many ways of doing things.   And as one person told me many years ago if you don't try some thing new it might help you.  If it doesn't stash it away in the memory banks as it may help in the future. D>K
I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days lived.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #110 on: January 12, 2018, 08:00:18 PM »
 The past week has been spent getting all the tail surfaces silkspanned, sanded, primed, sanded again etc. and ready for final attachment. I prep each piece to the point of being 99% ready for color before assembly. Prepping each piece separately like this makes getting the completed airframe ready for final painting much easier when that time arrives, not having to work around everything throughout the prep process. Doing it this way leaves you with pretty much just the fillet work and some very minor sanding prior to painting.

I had been scratching my head for awhile trying to come up with a slick way to keep the fin/rudder assemblies aligned while curing. I use 30 minute epoxy for that process and didn't care to have to hold them in place all that time. Even more importantly, once they would be set in place I felt the need to be able to step back and eyeball everything, double and triple checking alignments, before the epoxy started to set up.

What I came up with was making a simple alignment jig that slips over the top of the fin/rudder assembly. It incorporates a vertical slot the same width as the thickness of the fin/rudder with a horizontal base that simply rests on the stab, exactly square to the vertical. An angled relief cut was added at the jig base too, to keep it safely away from the glue joint and avoid making the jig part of the airplane. It all worked out perfectly, holding the fin/rudder in place and allowing me to let go of it all and be able to walk around and do my required eyeballing...

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 08:36:30 PM by wwwarbird »

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A.

Offline john e. holliday

• Admiral
« Reply #111 on: January 13, 2018, 10:24:23 AM »
Why didn't you tell me this stuff before I glued the B-25 together.   Lost count how many times I knocked rudders loose while doing what little finish I did.  Any way the P-38 is looking great. D>K

And the saying still goes, "Learn some thing new every day".  Thanks. H^^
I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days lived.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530

Tags: