News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:52:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hutch's P-38 Lightning  (Read 28176 times)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Hutch's P-38 Lightning
« on: December 22, 2016, 12:27:14 AM »
 This is the Lockheed P-38 "Lightning", designed by Don Hutchinson. It's built-up profile construction, 60" in wingspan, and designed for two .25's. This particular build was originally started quite some time ago by the late Albert Kraus. I remember first seeing photos of it at roughly this stage in Albert's shop over on the Stuka Stunt forum.

Sometime after Albert's passing Dennis Saydak acquired the partially built model, up in Canada. Being very interested in all of Don's Warbird designs I had followed this P-38's trail from the start and occasionally pestered Dennis about his progress with it. I'd always hoped to see how this one turned out. It's kind of a long story, but the short version is that as a result of a very generous "handoff" from Dennis I have now taken over the project. As I received it, this could essentially be considered a custom built ARC kit.

As seen in this first group of photos all of the major components are built and are just set together for trial fitting. Up to this point the build is very clean and well done. I only see a couple things I'm planning to tidy up or re-do, basically just a few cosmetic outline details and shaping.

So far, all I have done is to work on finalizing the control system, making up all carbon pushrods with titanium ends and ball links throughout. The "Hutch" designed aluminum bellcranks, internal linkage, and leadouts were already done and installed in the wing. I have also built and added a tip weight box in the bottom of the wing. I'm pretty close to being ready to close up the wing sheeting and then having the wing ready to cover. If all goes as planned, this one will be ready to go come spring.  H^^
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 09:28:28 PM by wwwarbird »
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Hutch's P-38 Lightning
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 08:16:31 AM »
Which engines are you planning to use? 

And don't tell us "E power"! VD~
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 10:11:48 AM »
Looks like I had better get on the stick.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline jim gevay

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 11:22:37 AM »
Way to go Wayne!
That should be a real looker when you're done.

Offline Astropuppy

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 06:46:54 PM »
That is going to be a great model. Thanks for sharing.
Astropuppy

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 09:34:20 PM »
Which engines are you planning to use? 

And don't tell us "E power"! VD~

Heh-heh Jim, you'll never catch me with a ceiling fan motor in my airplane. This one will be getting a brand new pair of FP.35's. VD~

Wayne Willey

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 11:22:01 PM »
 ;D
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 10:50:25 AM »
Heh-heh Jim, you'll never catch me with a ceiling fan motor in my airplane. This one will be getting a brand new pair of FP.35's. VD~

planning on a bit of racing or something? thats a lot of engines!
with electric you can dial them baCK ASY  S?P D>K y1
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 12:30:14 PM »
Hahahahahahaha......ceiling fan motors!  That made me laugh out loud, had the wife wondering what I was up to! LL~ H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 02:56:34 PM »

The FP.35's might be a bit much. A pair of FP .20-.25's would be sweet. I'm hoping you made a typo...  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 11:49:46 PM »

The FP.35's might be a bit much. A pair of FP .20-.25's would be sweet. I'm hoping you made a typo...  y1 Steve

Nope, no typo guys, it's getting the .35's. y1

Built as a featherweight I'm sure the .25's would be ok. I just don't feel like there would be much, if any, reserve power under certain conditions. I'd also like to be clear that I'm not second guessing Don's specs here either, I'm just looking at what's in front of me and following my own preferences.

Seeing it in the flesh this P-38 is a pretty good sized airplane. Also, while it's built nicely, in this particular case some of the wood selection is harder (thus heavier) than I would have used. It won't by any means be a total brick, but I'm not counting every gram as I go either, it is what it is. Within reason, I typically build in plenty of strength everywhere too, and my typical finishes are probably just slightly on the heavy side.

Playing with my 700 square inch PBY (and searching for power with it) for a few years taught me some things. The final version of the Catalina is an honest 84 ounces ready to fly. I battled that plane for two full seasons with a pair of Saito .30's, trying every prop, fuel, and RPM combo you can imagine and it just never had enough oomph to be comfortable doing anything but a giant lazy loop. It would never even stay solid over the top of a wingover. I was very close to just chalking it up and hanging it on the wall for good. Finally though, I bit the bullet and swapped the .30's out for a pair of Saito .40's running Master Airscrew 10x7 three bladers and it instantly turned into a full blown stunt machine. I tried a few other props on it after the swap too but ended up going back to and staying with the original 10x7's. I have never done anything other than set the needle valves since. I think many here would be amazed at how good the airplane actually is in capable hands.

So, this P-38 has about 140 or so less squares than the PBY but it's still nearly identical in overall size and frontal area. Flap, stab, and elevator areas are very close too. My theory here is that the finished flying weight difference between running a pair of .35's instead of .25's will only be about four ounces on what will probably end up being about a 70ish (or more) ounce model RTF. Yeah, it's gonna honk with the .35's, but that's also why they put that screwy thing in the end of the spray bar. Anymore I'm of the philosophy that it's a lot easier to slow these things down than it is to "squeeze the turnip" looking for every ounce of power whenever you're at the field. Operating on that fine line can leave you with a finicky model and take a lot of the fun out of things in my opinion. I'm confident that once the P-38 is all dialed in with the right prop, RPM, and line length combo it will do quite well, plus, it'll sound ten times cooler than a ceiling fan. ;D
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 12:32:47 AM by wwwarbird »

Wayne Willey

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2016, 12:53:58 PM »
Nope, no typo guys, it's getting the .35's. y1

Built as a featherweight I'm sure the .25's would be ok. I just don't feel like there would be much, if any, reserve power under certain conditions. I'd also like to be clear that I'm not second guessing Don's specs here either, I'm just looking at what's in front of me and following my own preferences.

Seeing it in the flesh this P-38 is a pretty good sized airplane. Also, while it's built nicely, in this particular case some of the wood selection is harder (thus heavier) than I would have used. It won't by any means be a total brick, but I'm not counting every gram as I go either, it is what it is. Within reason, I typically build in plenty of strength everywhere too, and my typical finishes are probably just slightly on the heavy side.

How big is this thing?  There were local plans to build a regular stunt plane (65 oz 650 square inch) with two 20's and we never considered that would not be enough. Given that people have flown 35-size airplanes with 15FPs, I would guess 2 25s would be good into the 700 square inch/80 ounce area - *as long as you run them at full power*. If they have been "improved" then all bets are off.

Brett

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2016, 08:54:07 PM »
  How big is this thing?

The Hutchinson P-38 is 60" span, 563 square inches, with a relatively high aspect ratio. I'll be amazed if this particular one comes in any less than 70oz, I'll be happy if it's under 80.

FWIW I do actually agree that built nice and light this design could work with a good pair of .25's. We're not looking to make the World Team with this one though, just a "Sunday Funday" stunter. Per my own preference and since I know it will be slightly heavy, I'm going with the .35's. I'm pretty sure Don thinks I'm crazy too.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 11:47:07 AM by wwwarbird »

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2016, 09:16:18 PM »
   I would guess 2 25s would be good into the 700 square inch/80 ounce area - *as long as you run them at full power*.

I've heard this kind of thing on occasion, and not to argue, but I don't know where some of these brutish .15's and .25's come from. I did once see a combat flyer in our club experiment with flying a foam wing 48" combat plane with a bone stock LA.15 and some small APC prop. The wing was fairly thick too, I think it was a "Gotcha". I would have never guessed it but the thing was fast and really ripped it up, I was amazed. Even after seeing that though, and also being a great fan of them, I still don't feel like two LA or FP.25's would've ever done the job on my PBY.

I'm still waiting in the wings to hear how Doc's B-25 ends up performing too. He's sticking with the prescribed smaller engines on that one, it will be interesting to hear how it works out.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 11:48:30 AM by wwwarbird »

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2016, 11:34:57 AM »

Other than Doc's B-25, is there anyone else out there currently working on a Hutchinson Warbird?

Wayne Willey

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2016, 12:07:54 PM »
I figured that if I built something like that I would use two bellcranks, one in each fuselage.  Then I could do a pull-pull on the flipper and deal with the bent flap line.
Paul Smith

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2016, 03:57:55 PM »
Exactly as designed. A custom bellcrank in each fuselage so all pushrods are on underside of the wings, elevator rods on inside of booms to make them less visible yet control elevator from both ends, flap rods under the wings for same visibility reason. Pull tests pulled from inside fuselage. I never expected this one to be a Nat's winner, just a decent flying model. You want a great flying warbird, build a T-6 or SBD.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2016, 05:13:14 PM »
Exactly as designed. ...so all pushrods are on underside of the wings...

Ooh, thanks for the reminder Don, just in time. When I received this project the initial rough cutouts for the elevator pushrod exits were already there, in the top of the wing sheeting. Without even thinking about it I've finished up those cutouts and am now about ready to close the wing sheeting up. Even though it would work just fine that way I might take another look and consider moving those exits to the bottom. It would give the top view a cleaner look when finished. The flap exits are finished and ready to go, in the bottom of the wing. One step forward, two steps back...

Wayne Willey

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2016, 05:26:03 PM »
I've heard this kind of thing on occasion, and not to argue, but I don't know where some of these brutish .15's and .25's come from. I did once see a combat flyer in our club experiment with flying a foam wing 48" combat plane with a bone stock LA.15 and some small APC prop. The wing was fairly thick too, I think it was a "Gotcha". I would have never guessed it but the thing was fast and really ripped it up, I was amazed. Even after seeing that though, and also being a great fan of them, I still don't feel like two LA or FP.25's would've ever done the job on my PBY.

I'm still waiting in the wings to hear how Doc's B-25 ends up performing too. He's sticking with the prescribed smaller engines on that one, it will be interesting to hear how it works out.

Do as you like, of course, but if it's 563 square inches and 80 ounces, you aren't going to like it no matter what engine you put on it. And, depending on which 35 you plan on using, it might actually have less effective power. Just looking at it, I would guess it could easily be built in the mid 50-ounce range, which would concern me for using even 25s - never get it slowed down using any commonly available prop. I've seen several people fly airplanes that size and up to about 50 ounces with a single 25FP. That's probably not optimum, but it can be done.

Again, I don't care if you do something else, but to me it looks like an airplane designed for 15FPs, and 20's if you are willing to depitch props. Think of it this way - it's about half of a B17, all things considered, and the B17 had *plenty* of power with 4 15FPs. 2 35FPs would be insanely too much, 2 Foxes would be about right but you won't be able to get them to run reliably and it *will* shake the airplane to pieces unless they are ABC with Randy's cranks, and 2 20FPs would be about the same weight as a Fox model and fly better.

Brett

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2016, 08:50:40 PM »
 Just for the sake of reference, including all built and rough sanded airframe parts, control surfaces and control system, we're at 30.7 ounces right now...

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2016, 08:54:09 PM »
 Further comparison, FP.25 = 6.2oz vs FP.35 = 8.3oz.

With the .35's we're already at 47.3 ounces total, with the .25's we'd be at 43.1. Still need to add Polyspan to the wing, silkspan over the rest of the entire model, glue up the airframe and add fillets, and the complete finish all the way to final clear. Then add tongue mufflers, fuel tanks, L/G and wheels, hinges, control horns, tip weight and all the other necessary small hardware bits. Estimating at this point it should come in closer to the 70 side than 80. That would be a good thing. Less than 70 would be great, we'll see. D>K
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 08:21:30 PM by wwwarbird »

Wayne Willey

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2016, 10:29:51 AM »
Myself I would say the 25's would be more than enough power.   They would be turning 10-4 or 10-5 props times two.   On my Ringmaster twin I'm going down to 9-5 props as the 9-6's is too much.   Take off rpm is just below 10 thousand.   of course the altitude you fly at has a lot to do with it.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2016, 06:23:46 PM »

Thanks Doc,

What are some of the specs on your Ringmaster twin?

Wingspan and area?

All up RTF weight?

Wayne Willey

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2016, 06:56:40 PM »
Myself I would say the 25's would be more than enough power.   They would be turning 10-4 or 10-5 props times two.   On my Ringmaster twin I'm going down to 9-5 props as the 9-6's is too much.   Take off rpm is just below 10 thousand.   of course the altitude you fly at has a lot to do with it.

10,000 is about 2000-2500 RPM too slow. Try 9-4 APCs, peak the engine out lean, then back off until you get a distinct change in note, about 5-6 clicks in the front needle. You are getting something like 1/2 power running it that slow.

Brett

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2016, 07:36:05 PM »
10,000 is about 2000-2500 RPM too slow. Try 9-4 APCs, peak the engine out lean, then back off until you get a distinct change in note, about 5-6 clicks in the front needle. You are getting something like 1/2 power running it that slow.

Brett

...5-6 clicks in the front needle? Huh?

Wayne Willey

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2016, 07:45:17 PM »
...5-6 clicks in the front needle? Huh?

The needle has click stops. Peak, then back off 5-6 clicks until you get a distinct change. That's for the front-needle version. For the rear-needle version, it might be 2-3 clicks.

Brett

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2016, 08:15:41 PM »
 Gotcha Brett, I just didn't know what you meant by "front" needle.

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2017, 08:26:00 PM »

Well, finally thru with the holidays and now getting back to the important stuff.  ;D

I got controls all finished up the other day (thanks Tom!) and finished closing up the wing sheeting just last night. Tonight was just a little sanding in those areas and now we're ready for covering. Reaching that point where you sit back and proclaim a wing ready to cover is always one of my favorite parts of any build...

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2017, 10:09:31 PM »
 Planning ahead...

Sometimes it's really hard to judge how something will work out (or not) when it comes to certain finishing details that will be coming down the road. I kept looking at the fuselage pod and just couldn't gain enough confidence that my planned canopy detail was going to fit and work out proportionally. To check, and make sure, I covered the area with yellow Frogtape and then "test" drew in the canopy detail. Once I was happy with the size and detail I added a layer of clear packing tape over the drawing, lifted the whole works off, and then stuck it on my glass bench top for later reference.  
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 10:28:41 PM by wwwarbird »

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2017, 10:26:42 PM »
 Plugging along... ;D

Literally. Since the holes were already drilled for .25's and I'll be using .35's I plugged them all using sections of hardwood dowel and 30 minute epoxy. I also plugged the fuel tank openings, since I prefer to mount the tank right against the side on a profile fuselage. For these plugs I used 3/4" balsa and 30 minute epoxy. I centered the 3/4" plugs in the nacelles to leave a bit of excess sticking out of each side, once fully cured this will allow for easy flush sanding later on.

Wayne Willey

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2017, 04:39:49 PM »
Looking good! When you are ready to assemble and glue the wings, tail and booms together, the genius designer made the tops of the booms flat and parallel to the thrust lines so you can assemble the stab, wings and booms upside down on a flat surface, just don't put the pilots pod in til after the above is complete.
Don

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2017, 11:31:39 PM »
 Thanks Don, I hope you're not too offended that a few things going on here aren't "per the plan".

Since the fuse pod was already fully assembled I'll be gluing it onto the wing before the booms etc. Actually, one of the first things I did after receiving and taking over this project was to cut it off of the wing. I took that slight step backwards to make finishing the wing work easier. Once I get the wing done in Polyspan I will also be silkspanning all of the other major components before the final assembly. The entire model will be covered. No worries though with any of these deviations from Don's great design, it's just the way I roll, it's all gonna be just fine.  y1

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2017, 08:55:16 PM »

What $98.30 looks like...

Wayne Willey

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2017, 10:48:16 AM »
It's all OK, I just wanted to throw the word genius in there!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 02:42:16 PM by Don Hutchinson AMA5402 »

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2017, 06:23:56 PM »
It's all OK, I just wanted to throw the word genius in there!

Sorry Don but I already beat you to that. Just ask Wayne.  ;D
Only a genius could design the control system for the P-38.
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2017, 10:13:32 PM »
 Haven't checked in here for a bit, but I have actually been making a little progress.

I've finally got all of the engine (re)mount work done. As designed there is no plywood in the engine nacelles, it's all balsa construction except for the maple engine bearers. So, I decided to do what I could to beef up the overall assembly for running the bigger .35's. This operation may not have been necessary but I just don't want to find out the hard way, possibly ending up with a big-time buzz bomb in the end.

First, I routed away a rectangle in the existing 1/8" balsa sheeting, just down to and flush with the maple mounts on each side of each engine crutch. I then added a 3/32" plywood section in those areas using 30 minute epoxy. That entire procedure was deemed necessary so that the triplers to be added later would have a uniformly flat surface to be attached to. Next was recessing in some 4/40 blind nuts into the inboard plywood sections for engine mounting. I then added 1/8" aluminum engine mount pads to the opposite side, drilling and tapping them all the way through into the maple beams and then on into the blind nuts. Threads now run all the way through the entire assembly. I also marked all the engine pads and beams with corresponding numbers so that everything fits down the road. Once all that was done I added a 1/4" balsa tripler on the inboard and a 1/4" "quadrupler?" on the outboard of each engine nacelle. I left an opening in each outboard "quadrupler" so that the engine mounts and fuel tanks can still end up resting on the plywood doublers as per normal profile construction. All of this additional construction is not necessary per Don's plans, I've only added it all with the idea of helping contain the "fury" of running the .35's.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 11:54:25 AM by wwwarbird »

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2017, 10:15:20 PM »

Triplers and quadruplers...

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2017, 10:23:23 PM »
 Backing up just a bit here...

Before I dug into the engine mount work described above I cut away the forward portions of the engine nacelles and cleaned up the area up to the engine bearers. Then I replaced those sections with large enough balsa pieces to allow my updating the profile outline later on. This step was done strictly as preparation for a cosmetic change because I wasn't satisfied with the (pre)existing profile outline. I'll also be using 1/4" larger spinners than what it had been set up for. Once I get a bit further along here we'll be looking at a more scale-like outline...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 09:11:37 PM by wwwarbird »

Wayne Willey

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2017, 11:54:43 AM »
boy howdy, this build is just ripping right along,

kind of like the airplane will once you mount those two 35s on there,,

we want video of you getting drug around,, ,, I mean flying this beast LOL
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2017, 11:58:36 AM »
 This thing'll gobble up an ME-109 in short order Mark!  VD~

Wayne Willey

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2017, 01:39:00 PM »
This thing'll gobble up an ME-109 in short order Mark!  VD~
pffttt P-38s I dont recall ever had the oppurtunity,, but hey come on up you are more than willing to try,  S?P
assuming it ever gets built
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2017, 02:54:33 PM »
Mark, you telling us the ME-109nia still hiding under the bench??? LL~ LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2017, 09:02:55 PM »
pffttt P-38s I dont recall ever had the oppurtunity,,

Yeah, I don't think the P-38's saw too much action over Germany, and "YIPPEE" probably spent most of it's time posing over Burbank.

Wayne Willey

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2017, 09:18:23 PM »
Mark, you telling us the ME-109nia still hiding under the bench??? LL~ LL~ LL~
Noper it  was finished and flown,, and subsequently retired for structural reasons, I actually talked to Paul W this weekend about it, and should I decide to, I have a plan to repair it
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2017, 10:03:21 PM »
I think the .25s on 9x5 or 10x4s might be acceptable .

After some type put a ' Whats the Lightest 35 ' post here , we fitted the two Max 35 Ses to the Mosquito , in liu of the Veco 19 BBs .
And 10 x6 nylon topflights .
On a heat stroke day test flight , on run up , the inner got reset at launch to match the outer . about two turns out .
We call this DIRtTin the line .
On the Launch the obstruction cleared and the inner went two turns rich & the outer went from a wet 4 to a ' on note ' Howl , . . .
Therefore the Mosquito did the ' Go for the Pilots Teeth ' trick .

Oh Dear .

Amazing how much inertia the big nylon top flights have . the mayve actually been 11 inch .Seems 6 pitch on anything
will give you a tourque swing on a hand launch on a twin . Theyve Always gotta be launched Banked Out ,
So they ' come flat ' as the wires tighten . Hopefully .

Therefore if you do try the 35s , look out for some nice light props , and dont overprop it . the tourque reaction'll get Ya .

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2017, 01:50:18 PM »

LL~ LL~ LL~
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2017, 06:31:56 PM »
I think the .25s on 9x5 or 10x4s might be acceptable .

After some type put a ' Whats the Lightest 35 ' post here , we fitted the two Max 35 Ses to the Mosquito , in liu of the Veco 19 BBs .
And 10 x6 nylon topflights .
On a heat stroke day test flight , on run up , the inner got reset at launch to match the outer . about two turns out .
We call this DIRtTin the line .
On the Launch the obstruction cleared and the inner went two turns rich & the outer went from a wet 4 to a ' on note ' Howl , . . .
Therefore the Mosquito did the ' Go for the Pilots Teeth ' trick .

Oh Dear .

Amazing how much inertia the big nylon top flights have . the mayve actually been 11 inch .Seems 6 pitch on anything
will give you a tourque swing on a hand launch on a twin . Theyve Always gotta be launched Banked Out ,
So they ' come flat ' as the wires tighten . Hopefully .

Therefore if you do try the 35s , look out for some nice light props , and dont overprop it . the tourque reaction'll get Ya .

Matt,

Thanks for offering some information but I often wonder, have you ever tried reading one of your posts? I don't know where "Elsewhere" is but English must not be the primary language. 

Wayne Willey

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2017, 09:59:41 AM »
Now don't pick on Matt.  I've first heard of him on the Barton site when his Folkerts wash the lead picture.   Have all the stuff to replicate it including some extra stuff from him.  But, what I've read on different forums he must be quite a character and I would like to meet him where ever he located at the time.  D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Jim Dincau

• Lieutenant
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2017, 05:02:31 PM »
Yeah, I don't think the P-38's saw too much action over Germany, and "YIPPEE" probably spent most of it's time posing over Burbank.
Actually it was re painted OD and went to the South Pacific.

http://iloveww2warbirds.com/yippee-p-38-lightning/
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2017, 05:49:19 PM »
Now don't pick on Matt.  I've first heard of him on the Barton site when his Folkerts wash the lead picture.   Have all the stuff to replicate it including some extra stuff from him.  But, what I've read on different forums he must be quite a character and I would like to meet him where ever he located at the time.  D>K

Doc,

I just mean that I often try to read his stuff, and with genuine interest, but it's pretty tricky to decipher.  D>K

Wayne Willey

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here