News:

• May 13, 2024, 10:04:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: It's all Randy Powell's fault!  (Read 860 times)

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
It's all Randy Powell's fault!
« on: December 21, 2007, 05:48:43 PM »
Randy has a thread below chronicling his spray gun problems & saying he should have stood in bed.  He jinxed me with that.  Hadda be. VD~  I needed to use my air brush Wed. for a small spot repair.  Went out to the "rough" shop & turned on the compressor.
Back down to the finish shop in basement - prepare air brush with clear lacquer. 
Plug in hose - spray.  Er, make that TRY to spray. ???  n~
Press button - no ssssssssssssssssssssss :(
Check pressure guage on small tank in lower shop - nada
Back out to compressor -guages show LOTS of air. :o
Hmmmmmm - must have frozen H2O in the line to the basement tank!
Heat gun on lower places of 50 ft hose to basement.  Nada.
Pull hose from compressor, remove two foot extension end and pull hose through foundation to basement shop to thaw. >:(
Wait two hours.
No H2O running out of hose end. ??? >:( :(
Check small, insignificant two foot section of hose that was verticle so couldn't be the problem. ~>
Found problem. - 1/4" coupling tube was blocked with gunk, not frozen H2O. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr HB~> HB~> HB~>
Repair tubing, put everything back together.
Spray lacquer - air brush goes sssssssssssssss and material sprays. #^ #^
Half a day shot, and they called me a troubleshooter for several decades????? ~^ ~^ ~^ LL~ LL~ LL~
Oh well, at least there wasn't a water problem in the line.
(It still hadda be Randy's fault for posting that!) Z@@ZZZ
Moral of the story, weeeeeeelll - always, that is ALWAYS remember what the word assumes breaks down to! '' :-X :-X :-X :'( :'(
Blessings,

Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: It's all Randy Powell's fault!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 06:58:35 PM »
hey, don't blame it. It could be an epidemic. Compressors everywhere dying sudden deaths. There could be a movie.

I still can't find a new paint cup for my DeVilbiss. I ordered one but the threads don't match!   HB~>
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 07:18:58 AM »
Not getting the right part for a top name brand is one of the most frustrating things a guy can run into.  The only thing more frustrating is to have a working unit that needs a small part and they stopped making it two months ago!  (Like the batteries in my cordless drill, maybe?)
I bought a couple of cells at Radio Shack & repaired the beast myself, but they don't hold the charge as long.  At least it works, kinda.
Have a wonderful Christmas Randy, and all the rest of you as well!!!!
Blessings,
Will

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 03:07:40 PM »
Will,

yea, I ran into that with the old compressor. Parts not available. Just needed a new pressure switch and aluminum connector pipe. I made the pipe and may now have found a switch (I can always use a backup compressor).

Happy Holidays to you and yours.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 04:36:47 PM »
Randy, my friend, you just licve in the wrong part of the country! LL~  We would have had youcompressor working with in a matter of hours, or less.  Tubing benders, flaring tool, some compression fittings, a pressure switch (rated about the same but probably a different band altogether) some more fittings and it might have all looked rather *Rube Goldberg*, but it would work, and safely, for a LONG time! LL~ LL~ LL~

You just have to grow up poor around poor people who knew how to fix things because they couldn't afford to replace it. ;D  I have a lot of stuff that is much older than I am that still works.... many times repaired, probably.

Let me tell you sometime how I had to hand make a timing pointer for my 427 Ford engine.  Couldn't tell it from a factory part! ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 09:59:04 AM »
Bill,

Yea, I usually just fix stuff. Hey, I drive a 1992 car with closing in on 300,000 miles. I'm used to just fixing stuff (though I recently bought my wife a new car. Her's was older one was older than mine.)

I've machine new parts, did repairs that most folks couldn't understand (why not just replace it?). Just my nature, I guess.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 01:41:23 PM »
Randy,
It may be "just your nature" but it's a great way to survive!  when I think of the depression and the way those folks had to get through I simply have a hard time throwing something away that maybe I can fix.
If my cars don't go at least to six digits on the odometer I figure I found a lemon!
You have a great Christmas!
Will

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 02:29:48 PM »
Merry Christmas to you also, Will.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 09:08:41 PM »
Randy,
It may be "just your nature" but it's a great way to survive!  when I think of the depression and the way those folks had to get through I simply have a hard time throwing something away that maybe I can fix.
If my cars don't go at least to six digits on the odometer I figure I found a lemon!
You have a great Christmas!
Will

Brother Will,

I think my problem is that my Paternal Grandparents raised me.   He raised his *first* family through the depression, then I came along.......... needless to say, Grandad didn't change just because I was there!  In reality, my first *toys* were really tools!  wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, etc..
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here