Building Tips and technical articles. > Building techniques

Holeshot Master

(1/5) > >>

fred cesquim:
Hereīs another model close to maiden flight day now, so itīs time to do a build log (backwards)
2 years ago sensing the lack of interest of Brazilians on building models and spending the whole day at whats app c/l groups talking about the past and losing connection with what our hobby is all about : building and flying.
So i started a challenge to build a specific model along a 6 month period.The model chosen was Bob Huntīs Holeshot because is incredibly simple to cut and build, can be cheap as balsa consume is low, powered by 25/35 engines and in Brazil we have plenty CB 25 (local engine) laying around at almost every c/l flier workshop, FLIES GREAT, looks great and to top it all (indeed my first reason to choose) Itīs a homage to Bob Hunt, a nice gentlemen, great designer, world class builder and flier and a full time supporter of control line worldwide. Bobīs modelling skills are my role model since iīve started modelling in 1984 and saw his mag article on landing gear spats (flying models).
The challenge went well and some 15 modelers from the whole country participated ( rules are to show pictures of the building and a flight video) and a team would choose the best effort. Winner got a commemorative plate and Bob Hunt himself was kind enough to send a gift (one of his DVD-s).
I missed the challenge due to "life" entering my plans. I had my model close to finish process a few weeks before dead line....
Anyway covid enter the scene and with some extra time to spare it was time to finish her.
hereīs first pictures. mine is based on original plans but with some changes, so i called her Holeshot Master. hope you enjo the ride 

fred cesquim:
first decision was engine : Os Max 35FP, then i blew up the surface areas about 10%.
i really dislike profile models, so a full body was drawn following the profile design.
as i was drawing the fuse it dawned on me: why not an I-beam? i really loved i-beams but never built one, so....letīs cut ribs

Andre George:
Very nice bro

Air Ministry .:

--- Quote --- in Brazil we have plenty CB 25 (local engine) laying around at almost every c/l flier workshop,
--- End quote ---

May we see a few photos of one, please .

fred cesquim:

--- Quote from: Ty Marcucci on September 17, 2020, 05:14:31 PM ---Very neat. When building an I beam, it is usually done upside down, with the bottom ribs going in first, except where the landing gear goes, assuming it it is bolted to the main spar.  Then flipped over and the top ribs added including the half ribs, then back over for the LG and finish with those ribs. ALWAYS trim the ribs at the rear. Other wise the taper will not come out right.  I have built over 20 I beamers and had to learn this the hard way.  Be sure to cut about 12 extra ribs, because no matter how careful one is, you will break two or three.  H^^

--- End quote ---
thanks Ty, would be nice if i read this before...now sheīs almost on clear coat, but i think i have nailed this. Itīs a constant chord wing, so the difficult was considerably minor, but thanks a lot for the helpful information, all of the mentioned problems showed up for sure! indeed itīs a lovely way to build wings

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version