News:

• May 09, 2024, 08:01:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CA cyanoacrylate adhesives  (Read 1144 times)

Offline John Witt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
CA cyanoacrylate adhesives
« on: September 15, 2009, 01:42:36 PM »
While on a search for other information today, I was reading up on super glue and was surprised to learn that nitromethane is a good solvent for dried CA glue.

Perhaps something you want to allow for when gluing in firewalls, motor mounts, etc, where raw nitro will come in contact with the bond line.

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
Re: CA cyanoacrylate adhesives
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 08:26:54 AM »
I think you'll find that the majority of builders use only slow cure epoxy in the nose.  Forget the CA for there!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 11:15:08 AM »
I sometimes use slow CA in the nose to do basic assembly, but the nose is always coated in epoxy and usually light fiberglass.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 08:14:40 AM »
Back in the day of the dark side, I built a plane competely with the appropiate CA glues for the different portions of construction.  I was watching the video of how to do it during the construction.  When I sold the plane several years later the only thing needed was tightening of the moneykote.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 12:52:09 AM »
Back in the day of the dark side, I built a plane competely with the appropiate CA glues for the different portions of construction.  I was watching the video of how to do it during the construction.  When I sold the plane several years later the only thing needed was tightening of the moneykote.  DOC Holliday

Is that video still available?
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 08:23:46 AM »
I've built maybe 15 planes using only CA. The first ones are 15-20yrs old 40-60 size RC and 35-40 size CL. Several have 100s of fights and some serious crashes in between. There are no problems with CA for motor mounts or anything else. If a full blown 60 size aerobatic RC ship doesn't break them I don't think any CL ship can do worse...most I coat the engine and tank compartments with thinned epoxy to seal them...but the ones with CA saturated engine compartments don't show fuel saturation. Maybe because I only use 5% nitro and 10% on rare occasions with all castor (no synthetics). Granted, when I first started using ca I was skeptical but the empiracle data is hard to argue with. The only reason I use epoxy for gluing is for gap filling in sloppy joints.

bp
Bill P.

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 02:25:59 PM »
Interesting, I butt glue with CA and nothing breaks (I never had Duco, Ambroid or Sigment pull loose on any joint either and that spans about 50 yrs). Pulling out of a CL wingover is mild in comparison to worst case RC so something tells me your glue was bad. I don't know what I do differently than anyone else with CA except for possibly using it heavily and always using a fresh batch. CA definitely has a short shelf life (longer if kept in the fridge) and there is major strength differences between brands. I don't use the cheap stuff. Were you using thick CA? My limited experience with thick showed it didn't penetrate or hold as well as thin...there is no thick CA on my bench anymore. If gap filling is needed I go to Duco/Sigment or worst case epoxy.

One of my 40 size rc full fuse ships (mid star 40 with 50 Fox) took a dive and broke the nose off in front of the wing. I joined the ragged edge back and glued with thin CA. While not a clean butt, it held fine and crashed hard again months later...this time it broke the nose off in another place and the CA joint didn't fail. That was a major turning point for me away from epoxy.
Bill P.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 03:00:28 PM »
While on a search for other information today, I was reading up on super glue and was surprised to learn that nitromethane is a good solvent for dried CA glue.

Perhaps something you want to allow for when gluing in firewalls, motor mounts, etc, where raw nitro will come in contact with the bond line.

I don't know, I have been using CA for almost everything for decades and this hasn't been an issue for me. Surface fuelproofing plus the difficulty of raw nitro lasting long enough to get to the CA makes it pretty tough to get any ill effects.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here