Building Tips and technical articles. > Building techniques

Green Foam

(1/3) > >>

Ken Culbertson:
Found this at Lowes today.  It is extremely dense and hard.  Very light.  I weighed the piece I bought (24 x 24 x 1 $6.00) and it was 1.7lb/cf and carvable just like a balsa block.  With a 4-5lb 1/32 skin molded you could make just about anything.  It sands better than any foam I have seen.  I am going to see if it fills using modpoge.  If it does, I am going to use it for blocks.  Already making molds from it.

Anyone else tried it?

ken

Priced a 6lb 1 x 3 x 24 balsa block today $16.  They are now calling 6lb super light.   This stuff - 75 cents.

Steve Berry:
Hmm....I may need to get me a square of that. I have some of the pink/purple foam for my top block, but I'm not really satisfied with the way my first go-'round with it turned out. I can't seem to find any lightweight balsa for my top block, and even if I could, I simply can not afford it.

Steve

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Shorts,David:
Looks very promising. Thanks for the info.

Brent Williams:
I will be having a cnc hotwired stab/elevator cut out of that stuff this weekend hopefully.

Then vac bagged with 1.5oz glass and 1.5mm carbon rods top and bottom.  I figure the foam should weigh around 1.3oz for the full 180sq.in tail section, the carbon rods .11oz, the glass and resin should weigh around .85-1oz if I'm conservative with the MGS resin. Goal is for a 3oz (or pretty close to it)tail assembly with hinges and horn hardware that is basically ready for color.  We shall see!

Dave Hull:
Looks like Kingspan makes GreenGuard LG insulation board in at least three densities. They list a 25 lb/ft^2 compressive strength, 40 psi, and 60 psi. Their data sheet says the 60 psi material is nominally 2.2 lb/ft^3. The others aren't listed.

The label on Ken's piece doesn't have all the part number info, which may be a local-market kind of thing. So we don't know if Ken's piece is the lightest version. But if it does the job, then it must be the right stuff! Says they make it in 1-1/2", 2, and 3" thickni. And 2' and 4' widths by 8' in longness.

In addition, since your turtledeck will be derived from insulation material, you have a better chance of keeping your pushrod cool!

Material: extruded polystyrene, closed cell,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version