News:

• April 24, 2024, 11:40:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gorilla glue  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Gorilla glue
« on: August 16, 2018, 11:48:28 AM »

Guy's  I have not used this glue, so I am looking for  ways to successfully use it, and which one have you found works best? Thanks a lot
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
Re: Gorilla glue
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 01:10:48 PM »
Gill brother...here are about 30 formulations of glues Branded as Gorilla glue

Some are excellent for some applications and some are pure disaster for some applications

Any Way..

Gorilla is a brand not a specific TYPE of any glue

Gorilla has :
Cyanoacryliates  (CA)
Poly U glues....foaming and non foaming
Wood aliphatic types...sort of like Elmers or Tite Bond
Rubberized concotions
J&B weld type concoctions
and a lot others I do not directly recall as I write this

The best advice I get here on the web forums is to try to describe the task I want to do and ask what is best method and products

Not trying to be a butt head but you just asked way too broad a question

Gorilla glue for Balsa skinning a foam wing core is vastly different for the best Gorilla glue to form up a rib n spar wing

IN my person bin of adhesives I have well over 15 different brands and types for various tasks....and grin -----it would sure be easier if there was ONE perfect go to glue to crate a good solid stiff model

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 07:33:26 AM »

Fred, I have to apologize about being so late to say "Thanks" please don't hold it against me but now I want to say Thanks a lot...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 01:14:03 PM »
The green foaming stuff is great for foam wings.  It used to be THE Gorilla Glue, until they branched out.

I have some clear foaming stuff that also works great on foam wings, but I don't know if that's their current clear formulation.  Someone needs to try it and report back.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 03:46:29 PM »
The green foaming stuff is great for foam wings.  It used to be THE Gorilla Glue, until they branched out.

I have some clear foaming stuff that also works great on foam wings, but I don't know if that's their current clear formulation.  Someone needs to try it and report back.

I have used the white Gorilla glue on a lot of foam wing repairs.  It comes out of the bottle clear and foams up white as it hardens.  Works miracles in repairing foam wings quickly.  I put my wing back together at least 15-20 times as I learned the pattern.  https://www.gorillatough.com/product/white-gorilla-glue/

There is a new "clear" Gorilla glue that apparently does not foam and dries clear.  I must try it.  https://www.gorillatough.com/product/clear-gorilla-glue/

Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 04:37:37 PM »

I have used the white Gorilla glue ...
There is a new "clear" Gorilla glue ...

Hey Brent -- thanks for pointing that all out.  I saw the clear come out and thought "oh holy ****, they've gone and taken away my favorite!"  I suspect that we'll still want to use the white foaming stuff on foam -- I'm curious now what chemistry the clear stuff is (I doubt it's urethane).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 06:04:01 PM »
Here's the SDS for the clear Gorilla glue.  Those of the chemical interpretation persuasion can divine ingredients better than I.

https://www.gorillatough.com/wp-content/uploads/Clear-Gorilla-Glue.pdf
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 07:18:33 PM »
Here's the SDS for the clear Gorilla glue.  Those of the chemical interpretation persuasion can divine ingredients better than I.

https://www.gorillatough.com/wp-content/uploads/Clear-Gorilla-Glue.pdf

Well, I can't tell you exactly what it is, but from the list of solvents it should be great if you're inclined to get high by sniffing glue.  I should get some and try it out (to stick things together, not to get high).  In a well-ventilated area, and without drinking any.
AMA 64232

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 07:01:24 PM »
According to the data sheet, it's a silicone glue(sylyl, siloxane) the first two ingredients.  The rest are solvents.  The piperidin stuff usually has a nasty smell, but it isn't very volatile.  You certainly wouldn't want to drink it!
Use gloves and eye protection.

phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here