News:

• April 23, 2024, 01:28:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gontrol Geometry Question  (Read 3275 times)

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Gontrol Geometry Question
« on: May 25, 2019, 07:41:06 PM »
Guys I have what I suspect is a control linkage problem with my Buso Jaguar project. The flap horn holes are drilled at 1.25” and 3/4” spacing. The elevator horn has one hole drilled at 1”. I have the bellcrank connected to the 1. 25” hole in the flap horn. The 3/4” hole in the flap horn is connected to the 1” hole in the elevator horn. I have more flap movement than elevator. I don't really understand control horn geometry so I don't know how my model will respond in flight because of this issue. What should I do (if anything) to correct the perceived problem?

The stab is not yet glued in but the wing is glued to the fuselage. So I can still make some adjustments if necessary.
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Gontrol Geometry Question
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 09:18:25 PM »
Guys I have what I suspect is a control linkage problem with my Buso Jaguar project. The flap horn holes are drilled at 1.25” and 3/4” spacing. The elevator horn has one hole drilled at 1”. I have the bellcrank connected to the 1. 25” hole in the flap horn. The 3/4” hole in the flap horn is connected to the 1” hole in the elevator horn. I have more flap movement than elevator. I don't really understand control horn geometry so I don't know how my model will respond in flight because of this issue. What should I do (if anything) to correct the perceived problem?

The stab is not yet glued in but the wing is glued to the fuselage. So I can still make some adjustments if necessary.
The hole in the elevator horn has to be closer than or equal to the flap horn.  As I see it you have two choices.  Swap the connections on the flap horn or drill a hole closer to the hinge line on the elevator.  Personally I would swap the flap horn since that should produce a 30/45 flap/elevator which I like but if you want a 1:1 you need to move the elevator hole to 3/4".  The plane will fly As Is but I don't think you will like how it corners.

Ken

AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 07:38:48 AM »
Thanks Ken. It's next to impossible for me to swap the connections at the flap horn without damaging the model.  I used JB Weld on the upper  lock nut. I'll try to drill a 3/4" hole in the elev horn but getting that close to the stab with a drill bit may be a challenge. I do have some 12" long bits that I may have to sleeve with a carbon tube for stability as the bits will definitely bend (wobble) when drilling metal. I may have to make another stab. Live & learn I guess.
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 09:40:42 AM »
Tape a piece of thick cardboard , wraped around the stab , while youre t it with the drill .
Better to chew that up , rather than good timber .

Center punched , and a sharp bit , with some LUBE , should see it go thru clean .
Ive had to do the same , using a 6 in drill & hand drill . Then needle file .
If youre bushing it , a bit of angle drilling wont hurt , The knob at the center of the drill reemoves , to reduce the angle .
or undersize & use a final size drill to ream , with a hand holder - like a large blade knife handle for the bit .
( if your soldering in a bush , a damp rag around the area , and a wet tissue to quench  a.s.a.p. . My 80 W iron will get in guick . a slow one'l heat it more ,
Pre Tin - so youre not faffing about . )Actually a long ' brass toob' , so its STRAIGHT , then trim ( razor saw ) and dress ends . Little paint brush & adequate acid helps .
Another dry towel to mop excess , so we dont acidifdy the wood ! .  :P

Seen recently something where he had more flap than elevator travel . Unusual but ' in trim ' , whatever it was on .

Other option 'd be halve the flap chord .  VD~

1 : 1 is usual with an aftish C.G. .

What is the aeroplane there ? .

--------------------------------------------
Picture of DRILL before hoodlum has wrenched centre support knob free ! .

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 11:11:00 AM »
Thanks Ken. It's next to impossible for me to swap the connections at the flap horn without damaging the model.  I used JB Weld on the upper  lock nut. I'll try to drill a 3/4" hole in the elev horn but getting that close to the stab with a drill bit may be a challenge. I do have some 12" long bits that I may have to sleeve with a carbon tube for stability as the bits will definitely bend (wobble) when drilling metal. I may have to make another stab. Live & learn I guess.
If you have a box end wrench of the exact size of the locknut and the bolts are allen there is a very good chance you can break the JB bond.  I use locktite threadlock because it can be broken by wrench.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 12:38:49 PM »
Yea. Looks like thats by far the easyist option.

If you remove that cockpit flooring ( maybe leave the edges , as per aft ) youll get better axis.
If the JB Welds fairly recent its unlikely fully cured.
Ive removed JB WEld from a G 51 Bypass port with a chisel & patiance. Came out in big lumps.
Its not titainium .

You may need a bit more pushrod clearance in the top wing sheeting, aft.

Ratio'd be 1.25 to 1  . Elev / Flap . Theres a thing .

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 02:54:07 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys (and your knowledge). I was able to drill a 3/4" hole in the horn with very little difficulty. I would have preferred the hole to be threaded but running a tap into it would have been too difficult. I will JB weld the bolt head onto the horn for a little extra strength.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 08:03:16 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys (and your knowledge). I was able to drill a 3/4" hole in the horn with very little difficulty. I would have preferred the hole to be threaded but running a tap into it would have been too difficult. I will JB weld the bolt head onto the horn for a little extra strength.
By Jove I think he's got it.

Just for future reference, you can put a 4-40 tap into a pin vise or get a small file handle,  Horns are thin enough to tap w/o much force.  I have even done it by clamping a small vice grip to the tap and doing it by hand.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2019, 08:54:28 AM »
That looks like Tom Morris gear. Tom makes a couple different size matching systems. You must have got the larger elevator horn with the smaller flap horn?

Motorman 8)

Yes it's a Tom Morris horn. He makes some neat stuff. I also had an unrelated problem with the flap horn. Only the top hole was tapped and I didn't discover that until I had the wing glued into the fuselage. I drilled a hole in the fuselage side in order to drill out the undersized hole for the 4/40 bolt. Please check your horns to avoid this problem.

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 09:55:40 PM »
It’s great that you were able to solve the problem without having to break loose the JB Weld.
In future if you have to loosen an epoxied connection I have had great success heating it with my soldering gun and undoing the nut while still warm and the glue is softened from the heat.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 11:47:46 PM »
Yes it's a Tom Morris horn. He makes some neat stuff. I also had an unrelated problem with the flap horn. Only the top hole was tapped and I didn't discover that until I had the wing glued into the fuselage. I drilled a hole in the fuselage side in order to drill out the undersized hole for the 4/40 bolt. Please check your horns to avoid this problem.
I suspect that the top hole only because lots of builders, including me, do not use connectors of any type between the bellcrank and flap horn.  Only ball links need the threaded hole.  If you want to use a ball link on the flap horn you can thread the hole.  1" from the pivot to the bellcrank hole is more than enough to keep Mr. Nezband happy

Ken
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 07:37:40 AM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 01:12:47 AM »
1" from the pivot to the bellcrank hole is more than enough to keep Mr. Nezband happy

Or it could be less than enough.  Leverage over hinge moment does not depend on control horn height or bellcrank output hole location.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 07:36:30 AM »
Or it could be less than enough.  Leverage over hinge moment does not depend on control horn height or bellcrank output hole location.
Are you telling me that all other things being equal that a 1" high location for the flap horn connection to the bellcrank is the same as a 1 3/8" height in the amount of leverage applied to the flap? Because in this scenario, all other things are equal.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2019, 12:24:29 PM »
I think we both made bad assumptions.  My point was that, for a given ratio of bellcrank to flap travel, you could have any flap lever arm length if the bellcrank lever arm is proportionally long.  You are correct that some of the other things are equal.  I presume that Dennis isn't going to mess with the bellcrank, so my point is moot. 

We don't have sufficient information to tell where either linkage is relative to the "Netzeband wall", namely whether the ratio of leadout travel to control surface travel is adequate.  The "wall" is squishy.  Inadequate ratio of leadout travel to control surface travel makes it difficult to fly a given loop radius in the presence of turbulence or mistrim, even with tension on both lines.  And, as you and Ted have observed, what ratio of leadout travel to control surface travel you need is a function of airplane mass.  Swapping holes in the flap control horn would certainly reduce the ratio of leadout travel to flap travel.  It may or may not make the plane a lot harder to fly, but I sure wouldn't do it.  We discussed the mass effect in https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/question-on-the-netzeband-wall/msg342263/#msg342263 .

There is nothing universal about a 1:1 flap-to-elevator ratio.  The ratio you need depends on the design.  The Jaguar plans should tell you what to use.  It's too late for Dennis's airplane, but most folks I know now use an elevator control horn with a slot so the length can be varied as needed.  It's another trim tool.
The Jive Combat Team

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 01:01:54 PM »
.... but most folks I know now use an elevator control horn with a slot so the length can be varied as needed.  It's another trim tool.
This is how I try and set mine up.  I get the elevator to 1:1 with the horn adjusted just below center on the elevator horn.  I have left a few at 1:1 but mostly I and up at somewhere around 35:45 degrees.  I am taking caution to make sure it cannot slip since I experienced one of those "it can't happen and if it does it won't be me" crashes.  The adjustable horn started slipping and by the time I got to the Clover I only had 15 degrees left and I was too low to make the 4th loop.  If it had just slipped all at once I would have noticed it.  I had just done some extensive work on the plane and I must have forgotten the thread lock.  I once asked if there is a limit to how many stupid things can make a ship crash and I am going to answer my own question - no limit.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2019, 01:57:00 PM »
This is how I try and set mine up.  I get the elevator to 1:1 with the horn adjusted just below center on the elevator horn.  I have left a few at 1:1 but mostly I and up at somewhere around 35:45 degrees.  I am taking caution to make sure it cannot slip since I experienced one of those "it can't happen and if it does it won't be me" crashes.  The adjustable horn started slipping and by the time I got to the Clover I only had 15 degrees left and I was too low to make the 4th loop.  If it had just slipped all at once I would have noticed it.  I had just done some extensive work on the plane and I must have forgotten the thread lock.  I once asked if there is a limit to how many stupid things can make a ship crash and I am going to answer my own question - no limit.

Yup.  There's no doubt a safer way to make an adjustable control horn. I've been lucky so far. 
The Jive Combat Team

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2019, 02:26:02 PM »
Yup.  There's no doubt a safer way to make an adjustable control horn. I've been lucky so far.
If you find it PLEASE post it here.  I have looked into the threaded post that the RC boys use but I think we put more force on the controls than they do.

Has anybody tried something like this:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjt3b2pjL_iAhXhnuAKHc8ZAfwQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gator-rc.com%2Fgator-rc-70mmx4mm-adjustable-heavy-duty-control-horn-assembly-w-3mm-ball-link-1904&psig=AOvVaw2kaUd_lXy67Q14xhonWvgF&ust=1559161996939532

KEN
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 02:51:04 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2019, 05:36:56 PM »
The combait (sic) guys use control horns like that without any problem, but I don't think their control load is as high and the dreaded Netzeband Wall is way off in the distance if the engine is running. I don't see how you could adjust the thing when it's enclosed in a stunter's fuselage. It would be cool if you could, tho. The other thing about that is watching out for differential to creep in. I'm not all that crazy about the current slotted elevator horns, and wish somebody would engineer something better, more precise, and less dangerous.   

Honestly, I didn't think control ratios were any more complex than grade school math. As I recall, fractions and ratios were taught at about the same time. Some folks are baffled by fractions, but not those of us who bought balsa sheets and sticks!   y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2019, 06:07:05 PM »
... and wish somebody would engineer something better, more precise, and less dangerous...

A machinist is soliciting fresh ideas from a group that includes engineers?  That includes Howard?  Steve, are you aware of what you're asking for?

Make one side of the slot with teeth, like a rack on a rack and pinion.  It could be done with a jewler's file if you wanted to hand-build it.  Then put a feature on the slider (could be just a small pin driven into a hole) that engages the teeth.  Then you can only move the slider in increments as big as the teeth, and only after things are really loose.  The only real machining mojo required would be to drill a hole into which the pin could be driven without mucking everything up.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 06:29:41 PM by Tim Wescott »
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2019, 09:46:22 PM »
Honestly, I didn't think control ratios were any more complex than grade school math.

High school math.  The bellcrank-flap relationship is a 3-dimensional problem.  You need a formula for the intersection of a circle and a sphere.  I'm not up to it, but I came up with a crude iterative method.  If you ever build anything, I'll send you a copy of the program. 
The Jive Combat Team

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2019, 10:12:12 PM »
High school math.  The bellcrank-flap relationship is a 3-dimensional problem.  You need a formula for the intersection of a circle and a sphere.  I'm not up to it, but I came up with a crude iterative method.  If you ever build anything, I'll send you a copy of the program.

Interesting, we had the same problem trying to determine the intersection of a cone and sphere, the cone being the scan path of an earth sensor, and the sphere being the earth (we know it isn't a sphere - in fact the reason we cared was to determine the correction necessary for the oblateness of the earth, *compared* to a sphere) which we simplified by realizing that we only really cared where the edges were - meaning our sphere was now circle, and the oblate earth was ~an ellipse.  When we where solving it as a sphere, we, too, only managed an (unsatisfying) iterative solution. And yes, the fact that the 8000 mile diameter earth is fatter at the equator by a mere 28 miles does matter, it's actually a huge effect compared to our other error sources and can't be ignored.

Brett

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2019, 08:22:31 AM »
   Interesting, we had the same problem trying to determine the intersection of a cone and sphere, the cone being the scan path of an earth sensor, and the sphere being the earth (we know it isn't a sphere - in fact the reason we cared was to determine the correction necessary for the oblateness of the earth, *compared* to a sphere) which we simplified by realizing that we only really cared where the edges were - meaning our sphere was now circle, and the oblate earth was ~an ellipse.  When we where solving it as a sphere, we, too, only managed an (unsatisfying) iterative solution. And yes, the fact that the 8000 mile diameter earth is fatter at the equator by a mere 28 miles does matter, it's actually a huge effect compared to our other error sources and can't be ignored.

Brett
If you were successful in creating a formula to plot a moving cone on a rotating unequal sphere I will never question your math again!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2019, 01:49:43 PM »

Drill a new hole in the elevator horn, 3/4" from the center of the crossbar.

The relative motion of the flap to elevator is based on the arm lengths at either end of the elevator pushrod, it's very simple. Making them both 3/4" makes the elevator move 1:1, to first approximation, making the elevator horn shorter than the flap horn makes the elevator move faster than the flap, and making the elevator horn longer than the flap horn makes the elevator move less.

Many full-house airplanes have a "slider" horn at the elevator, so you can lengthen or shorten it as a trim feature. It's an *extremely* sensitive adjustment and even .010 of an inch difference (out of about 1 1/4 overall length) can have a very big effect on the control feel and response of the airplane. Most airplanes are designed around a 1:1 flap/elevator ratio (you can alter it with different size flaps, which are also removable on many airplanes so you can try different sizes), and I am nearly certain that is the starting point for Steve's design.

Brett

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2019, 02:45:42 PM »
It's an *extremely* sensitive adjustment and even .010 of an inch difference (out of about 1 1/4 overall length) can have a very big effect on the control feel and response of the airplane.

How on earth does one accurately and reliably move a slider by 1/100 of an inch?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2019, 02:48:57 PM »
Dennis       there is a simple fix for your problem but this may be to late for you but it will help many others who read this. Instead of using two different holes in the flap horn just use a longer bolt in the top hole. Mount the bellcrank pushrod ball link on one side of the horn and the elavator ball link on the other side. In your case this would give less that 1:1 ratio. I measured it out to 38-40:45 deflection. I have used sliders in the elevator to get 1:1 down to 35:45 deflection.   Less than 1:1 has always worked out well for me but I build light.
EddyR
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2019, 02:53:02 PM »
How on earth does one accurately and reliably move a slider by 1/100 of an inch?

Scribe a line on it before the move.  Kinda calls out for a threaded fastener somewhere in the mechanism, doesn't it?
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2019, 03:49:28 PM »
Scribe a line on it before the move.  Kinda calls out for a threaded fastener somewhere in the mechanism, doesn't it?

That was my thought.  I'll draw something up for Helmick to fabricate.  A 2-56 machine screw would do 0.01" in a bit over half a turn, so this may even be a doable thing.
AMA 64232

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2019, 05:03:44 AM »
What do you do when your glasses don't focus on the horn by the time the tail wheel hits you in the forehead?
You know that you could have had a V-8. LL~

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2019, 12:32:49 PM »

I have designed and prototyped a lot of systems using jackscrews, etc, but I never actually put one in the airplane because I didn't like putting all that stuff 24 inches behind the CG, no more than you actually use it. It's easier and much lighter to make new flaps that are the right size, and that's not critical at all.

Brett

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2019, 02:54:07 PM »
It's easier and much lighter to make new flaps that are the right size, and that's not critical at all.

Brett has approached my airplane with an X-acto knife in his hand and a mischievous look in his eye.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2019, 06:03:31 PM »
No need to worry Howard. . . unless he's panting hard and drooling!    LL~ LL~

Dennis

Advertise Here
Tags: