News:

• May 09, 2024, 11:27:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Material for fibre bellcranks ???  (Read 1541 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Material for fibre bellcranks ???
« on: November 29, 2009, 08:49:03 PM »
I'm looking for the nomenclature and source of the fibre material used for 4" stunt bellcranks. 

I need to make a few specific ones form myself, not utilize the off-the-shelf designs.
Paul Smith

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: Material for fibre bellcranks ???
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 09:51:09 PM »
I suspect what you refer to is the Linen-based Phenolic as supplied by Tom Morris (and Jim Snelson). I get mine from Aircraft Spruce. A 1' x 1' piece (1/8" or 3/16" thick, depending) will make a LOT of bellcranks!

I've found that there are two ways to cut this stuff. First (my way) is with a #5 reverse-tooth blade in a scrollsaw. I think Tom and Jim make then with routers, using a template and a piloted cutter. Be sure to center-punch all holes prior to drilling. This stuff has a very hard, slick surface, and bits tend to "walk".

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 03:57:58 PM »
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/mepages/phenolic.php

Thanks for the advice.  Is the above link to Westinghouse Grade L Mircata what you had in mind?  I guess 3/16" would be OK for the .35 to .51 range?
Paul Smith

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 09:16:27 PM »
That's the stuff!

Actually, Tom says the 1/8" L-Phenolic is adequate for anything you can hold on to. The 3/16" material can offer a little less "wobble" on the shaft, but isn't really necessary.

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 09:46:41 PM »
I was planning to go thick to give the pivot more support, then reduce mass by enlarging the lightening holes.

But maybe I could accomplish the same thing with 1/8" stock and a pair of doublers glued to the center section.

However, by the time my next project is ready for a bellecrank, those Canadian power steering systems will have come down in price.

Paul Smith

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 02:35:08 PM »
"Micarta" is the British name, "Phenolic" is what it's called in the USA. It can also be had with paper laminations instead of linen. I've been told that it's one of the oldest types of "plastic", and it still is used often today. I made some parts last month from Linen Phenolic...nasty yellow dust is a problem. I had a shop vac running all the time, but it only helped "somewhat". I still see small deposits of the yellow crud on my milling machine, floor, etc. Like all plastic machining, you'll find dust or chips for weeks or months.

Parts made from the stuff tend to look kinda fuzzy, but that can be fixed. Sharp tools really help, but burnishing with paste floor wax can make a world of difference.  y1 Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 05:48:22 PM »
Also available from McMaster Carr.  They have a large selection.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 02:09:38 PM »
<SNIP>
Parts made from the stuff tend to look kinda fuzzy, but that can be fixed. Sharp tools really help, but burnishing with paste floor wax can make a world of difference.  y1 Steve 
[/quote]

Yeah, I wax my bellcranks too.  It helps with the appearance points I get!   LL~ LL~
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Alan Hahn

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 02:21:21 PM »
<SNIP>
Parts made from the stuff tend to look kinda fuzzy, but that can be fixed. Sharp tools really help, but burnishing with paste floor wax can make a world of difference.  y1 Steve  

Yeah, I wax my bellcranks too.  It helps with the appearance points I get!   LL~ LL~

Along with your legs----pilot appearance points count too! y1

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 11:26:42 AM »
I also polish my pushrods!
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 06:16:22 PM »
"Micarta" is the British name, "Phenolic" is what it's called in the USA. It can also be had with paper laminations instead of linen. I've been told that it's one of the oldest types of "plastic", and it still is used often today. I made some parts last month from Linen Phenolic...nasty yellow dust is a problem. I had a shop vac running all the time, but it only helped "somewhat". I still see small deposits of the yellow crud on my milling machine, floor, etc. Like all plastic machining, you'll find dust or chips for weeks or months.

I use this stuff at work (Airline/ Overhaul). Boeing uses it quite a bit on their aircraft for spacers, non-structural shims, etc. Cable pulleys and guides are also made from Phenolic.
A word of caution about sanding - the fumes are BAD health-wise so use ventilation and it will clog alum-oxide sandpaper quickly. Makes good scrapers also!
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here