• March 28, 2024, 09:38:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Glue  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Harold Brewer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Glue
« on: March 26, 2023, 10:33:37 AM »
Sigment is no longer available.  I used to use it a lot and had good success with it.  Now looking for a good substitute.  Please don't tell me C/A.  I've used it before in certain situations but it's not for everything.  I welcome any suggestions.

Brew

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Glue
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 11:30:21 AM »
Sigment is no longer available.  I used to use it a lot and had good success with it.  Now looking for a good substitute.  Please don't tell me C/A.  I've used it before in certain situations but it's not for everything.  I welcome any suggestions.

Brew

Sigment is cellulose glue.  Each one is a bit different, but they're all a lot the same.  Because they're all based on nasty solvents, you have to work to find them but they're out there.  Read this thread on cellulose glue for tips on where to find them.

I assume that you're just looking for a SigMent replacement, but note that you can pretty much build an entire plane with aliphatic resin glue (i.e. yellow carpenter's glue, like Titebond) and a few dabs of epoxy.  I tend to keep Titebond, oderless CA, celluloid glue, and epoxy on my workbench.  From time to time I'll use Gorilla foaming glue and glue stick (for stick & tissue planes).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Miotch

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 09:30:36 AM »
I've read in forums that Duco cement is similar.  But I haven't seen any in a store to try it.  And I've never mail ordered glue in my life.  That may change.

Online Mike Morrow

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 09:34:36 AM »
Ace hardware stocks Duco cement.

Mike

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here