News:

• April 18, 2024, 12:03:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuselage for electric.  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fuselage for electric.
« on: December 26, 2019, 01:11:29 PM »
What is the preferred method of building a fuselage for electric power? Side thickness, doubler thickness balsa or ply, and what kind of motor mount?  SV 11/Legacy size model.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Fuselage for electric.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 04:03:54 PM »
What is the preferred method of building a fuselage for electric power? Side thickness, doubler thickness balsa or ply, and what kind of motor mount?  SV 11/Legacy size model.
I use 1/8" sides with a 1/32" plywood doubler with a 1/4" plywood "through the bulkhead" rear mount.  Lots of cross bracing.  You don't have to deal with vibration and you don't need those logs in the front anymore.  I leave the entire front open and use the battery hatch and battery tray to provide rigidity.   As a side note, I put 4 5/16" brass screws through the doublers
into the motor mount.

Design around your electronics.  You have a timer, an ESC, a motor, a battery and a cutoff switch all of which have wires that want to go the other way.  I use a structural hatch that opens up almost the entire bottom front of the plane.

Motor is a Cobra 3520/12 battery is a 5s 3300.

Ken

It was a brain fart - I use 1/32 not 1/16.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 04:29:33 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 10:34:19 AM »
1/16 ply doublers seem like a bit of overkill for an electric specific fuselage.  1/32 ply is also probably just excess weight.

I would think 1/64 on 1/8" balsa would be plenty. 
SV style 1/8" balsa-carbon veil-1/8" balsa construction would work well also.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 04:32:59 PM »
1/16 ply doublers seem like a bit of overkill for an electric specific fuselage.  1/32 ply is also probably just excess weight.

I would think 1/64 on 1/8" balsa would be plenty. 
SV style 1/8" balsa-carbon veil-1/8" balsa construction would work well also.
I fixed my post.  I do use 1/32 doublers.  I don't think they are too much weight.  Too weak and the nose is going to twist.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 01:13:11 AM »
I talked to a guy yesterday who has a 700 square inch electric stunter with 4-lb. 3/32” balsa fuselage sides and no doublers at all except right at the bellcrank, where he grabs it for pull test.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 08:21:45 AM »
I talked to a guy yesterday who has a 700 square inch electric stunter with 4-lb. 3/32” balsa fuselage sides and no doublers at all except right at the bellcrank, where he grabs it for pull test.

Is that the guy who is married to your wife?

Offline Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 09:18:39 AM »
I fly a 700 square inch electric stunter using:
3/32 contest balsa fuse
1/64 plywood doublers back to 1” aft of flap hinge
Entire model covered with carbon matt.

I do the same with glow airplanes too.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 10:30:56 AM »
Does he understand that his 10-12oz battery might weigh 6 lbs or more in a corner?   That is a lot of stress on the wing joint not to have some reinforcement.  Try and not stand close to the circle down wind when he is flying.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 01:10:48 PM »
Does he understand that his 10-12oz battery might weigh 6 lbs or more in a corner?   That is a lot of stress on the wing joint not to have some reinforcement.  Try and not stand close to the circle down wind when he is flying.

I have a feeling that the guy he was talking about knows a lot about stress calculations.

Brett

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 01:32:13 PM »
As long as you use a "classical" structure shape, it's going to be quite inefficient use of material. I mean a nose cross section that looks something like this: П.
Immediately when you close the structure to look like O, and add some double curvature to get form stability it will be much more stiff in bending and especially in torsion, with much much less material needed.
That kind of structure comes naturally by molding. L

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2019, 05:05:38 PM »
Is that the guy who is married to your wife?

No

I have a feeling that the guy he was talking about knows a lot about stress calculations.

He has some familiarity with Mohr’s circle as well as the stunt circle. 

Lauri has me wondering if I can get away with that light a structure on an Impact, for which I have tooling.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2019, 06:58:29 PM »

Brett
I certainly hope so.  I have seen a nose separate in a corner and it isn't pretty.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 11:07:33 PM »
Quote from: Howard=

Lauri has me wondering if I can get away with that light a structure on an Impact, for which I have tooling.
[/quote

Impact resistance is another thing. 🤔

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2019, 06:49:36 AM »
No CLPA plane makes maneuvers as violent as a large RC 3D bird, nor will it ever be subjected to such motor torques. And look inside the 3D airframe and be amazed at how little structure there is. Yes we pull from the side - but for the most part our wings are one piece and glued to the fuse so we have even more strength.

Stunt ships were traditionally built with ultra-strong noses to get a consistent  engine run because we needed to tame the vibration of an out-of-balance single cylinder engine in order to keep the fuel from foaming and jumping around and second, to be easy to build with an Xacto knife and sandpaper.

In todays CAD to LASER design world, we can easily built stronger, lighter structures, and electric has tamed the vibration problem.

The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones, something better came along.

Be bold and try something new.

I'm building two electrics this winter. One has balsa/CF/balsa nose with a pretty traditional cowl. The other is a scale(ish) Laser with the entire front half of the top of the fuse (back of the canopy to firewall)  removable for battery and access to the controls. It's proof-of-concept and if viable ver.2 will have a removable wing. FEA told me that 3/32" balsa with 1/8" Lite Ply was the way to go. Given the omission of the maple motor mounts and and crutch and floor of a Big Jim nose the weight is less than a "traditional" structure and it's more than strong enough for flying or the impulses of a hard landing. 1/16" Lite Ply would be adequate, but really, my planes tend to be tail heavy and I end up adding weight to the nose anyway so I figured I'd just use wood instead.

Chuck

AMA 76478

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2019, 07:50:50 AM »
3/32" balsa with 1/8" Lite Ply was the way to go. Given the omission of the maple motor mounts and and crutch and floor of a Big Jim nose the weight is less than a "traditional" structure and it's more than strong enough for flying or the impulses of a hard landing. 1/16" Lite Ply would be adequate, but really, my planes tend to be tail heavy and I end up adding weight to the nose anyway so I figured I'd just use wood instead.

Chuck
My post was in response to one advocating a "700 square inch electric stunter with 4-lb. 3/32” balsa fuselage sides and no doublers .  There is such a thing as too light just as there is too heavy.  For whatever reason, my "Mrs. Piggy" ships have always performed better than expected and the "Air Bags" tended to be a nightmare to fly. Sacrificing strength to reduce weight only to have to add back lead to balance the C/G just seems wrong.  Same is true with the tail end as I was properly reminded of recently.

My problem with the "No Doublers" was primarily the wing fuselage joint where most of the flight stress will be centered.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2019, 08:08:25 AM »
Ken,
I recommend you to take a look at Yuriy Yatsenkos work, to see how little is enough.
Basically a 1,5mm balsa skin with a very thin gf on both sides.
As I said earlier, it’s more about form stability than actual material thickness. L

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2019, 12:21:55 PM »
Ken,
I recommend you to take a look at Yuriy Yatsenkos work, to see how little is enough.
Basically a 1,5mm balsa skin with a very thin gf on both sides.
As I said earlier, it’s more about form stability than actual material thickness. L
I think that 1/16 with gf on both sides is a bit stronger than 3/32 all by itself.  The only point I am trying to make is that when you have 20-24oz of nose weight going 50-55 mph and you enter a tight corner the powerplant really wants to keep going straight.  Most of that force is going to be focused on the wing fuselage joint.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here