News:

• May 20, 2024, 06:41:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Using nitrate  (Read 711 times)

Online James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Using nitrate
« on: November 26, 2007, 06:50:09 PM »
I noticed that Brodak sells a separate thinner for nitrate, why do you need a separate thinner than that of butyrate?

James
AMA 491167

Offline bill marvel

• Commander
  • Lafayette Esquadrille, St. Louis
Re: Using nitrate
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 07:02:42 PM »
I noticed that Brodak sells a separate thinner for nitrate, why do you need a separate thinner than that of butyrate?

James

I don't know why, James.  But, I bought some nitrate and some butyrate clear last Spring at the Randolph store in San Antonio.  The owner told me I could use one thinner with both.  I got the same response from Sig this summer.  Apparently, dope isn't just dope.  Everybody has their own formula.

I did notice that my "cheapo" thinner that I buy by the gallon to clean my brushes and airbrush did not work as well with Brodak butyrate.  It tended to clump up.  "Always test in an inconspicuous place" is really good advice.

regards,
bill marvel
Bill Marvel, AMA 793835
Lafayette Esquadrille, St. Louis

Welcome to Stunt Hangar

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 07:34:17 PM »
In talking about either Randolf or Cooper dopes I have used 3608S for both with equal success for both nitrate and butyrate.  HOWEVER - there have been some changes made since I was spraying those brands, so don't rely on this unless you try them first, as suggested  before.  I still use 3608S for Sig dope and for McFadden  and Behlen nitro-celulouse lacquer, but have never used Brodak dope for anything but one guitar a couple of years ago.  (Didn't react well with the 3608s at that time.)
Much has taken place in the past few years with the EPA making requirements tougher and tougher on the finish producing companies, so be sure and follow the "try it first" approach.
Blessings,
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 10:09:40 AM »
I use 3608S thinner with my Sig nitrate and have no problems at all. I still have some older Brodak nitrate and it also worked fine with the 3608S. I had trouble with Brodak and 3602S thinner (slow drying).

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here