Building Tips and technical articles. > Building techniques

Fuel Resistant Sealants

(1/3) > >>

Steve Dwyer:
I'd like to seal the openings around the copper tubing where the tank fittings come through the bulkhead behind the motor on my recent Jameson build.

Any thoughts? Any experience with Permatex Permashield?

Steve

Dan McEntee:
If installed during the construction phase, thinned epoxy would be all that you would need. It can be sanded smooth and what ever finish put over that. If added after the fuselage is finished, careful application of thin CA glue would fill any seam, and then a thin dab of clear silicone around the tube. If that wears off, it can be replaced easily.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Trostle:

--- Quote from: Motorman on May 06, 2021, 10:50:28 AM ---Epoxy and micro balloons.

--- End quote ---

Why use micro balloons which can absorb oil?  The micro balloons still have to be sealed.

Keith

Steve Dwyer:
The plane is finished (just painted) and now I want to install the removable tank. I read that silicone is not resistive to fuels, anyone have experience using Permatex it is supposed to remain flexible and resists gasoline??

Steve

Steve Dwyer:
Here's several shots showing the tank fittings coming through the bulkhead where I'd like to seal to prevent fuel from reaching the tank compartment and soaking into the fuse. The tank will be removable so I rather not use forever epoxy.

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version