News:

• May 13, 2024, 01:40:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Forgetting Stuff  (Read 3521 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Forgetting Stuff
« on: August 21, 2007, 03:55:53 PM »
Interestingly, I'm just about ready to start finishing the new plane. Just have to finish up the gear and I'm ready to go. Or so I thought. I was reading a thread on another board about fuel tanks and all of a sudden had to hit myself in the forehead. Duh! I have to build a tank  and make the fittings for the thing yet. Well, better now that with the base color on, I guess. I have to install vents in the nose and some sort of hold down system for the tank...after I actually build it.

Man, I hate it when that happens.   HB~>
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Forgetting Stuff
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 04:57:51 PM »
It gets worse, Randy. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 05:08:02 PM »
Hi Randy, when you build it, show us some pictures and the process. Always love seeing your work, have a great day, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 09:26:48 PM »
Hey Randy, um ok well I cant think of anything to say since I covered the Gee Bee the first time and forgot the tank mounts, but hey mines a pukey profile as the Dirt says,, so it was no big deal.  Perhaps a checklist would help? Chin up, Mcminnville is only three days away!!!! weather sounds passable though a chance of some drizzles on saturday. (psst, you did remembver to provide access for the tank didnt ya?) LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 07:29:19 AM »
Oh, Man!  I really hate that for you....................................

NOT!!!!!!!!!!

**) **) **)

That is a TOTALLY minor omission! LOL!!

(just wait until after you have installed the engine and go to hook up the fuel line............!!!!!!!!!!!)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 09:23:31 AM »
   LL~  "It's not that my memory is failing, it's that my forgettor is working very well"...!!!
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 10:14:07 AM »
Yes, Mark, it has a tank compartment. Sheesh! I started the process last night. Looks kinda funny sitting there with gear wires sticking straight up about 24". I got the gear wire bent to fit in the wing, but haven't bent the feet yet. Then I stopped that to do the tank.   :)

I'll probably put the whole thing on hold until after the McMinnville contest. I have to take the primary weapon down and do some work on that before the weekend. 
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 12:57:54 PM »
   LL~  "It's not that my memory is failing, it's that my forgettor is working very well"...!!!

Hi Gil,

Mine is working at an extremely efficient, award winning, level!

If I must admit it, I actually bolted in the engine, dug out the hemostats from the drawer, and went to cut and install the fuel line................ hmmmmmmmmmm.............. I coulda swore there was a tank around here, SOMEWHERE!!!!!!!!  (finished airplane, mind you........)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 01:29:17 PM »

y1 Yep,... know that feelin'... y1
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 01:37:50 PM »
Bill,

Well, I'm not that bad yet.   %^@

I should have said the I did some, uh, inventive gear doors. Made making the the gear insertions kinda critical. I was shocked I got both of them on the first try. But to make sure everything worked and fitted correctly, I had to insert the gear wire and bolt on the doors. Harder than you would at first think. So there they sit all nice and bolted together with 24" of gear wire sticking up. At least it seems solid.

Now, where did I put that new tin...

Oh, Oh, and I forgot, I have to go by the local LHS for some copper tubing. Amazing how that stuff seems to evaporate around my shop.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 07:20:30 PM »
Randy:
memory is hte 2nd thing to go (I forgot what's first)  ??? LL~  H^^
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Vincent Corwell

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 01:26:32 AM »
So I stopped halfway on  the stairs and
tried to figure , was I going up or down?

Vincent

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 07:46:03 AM »
Hi Randy,

Well, it has gotten so bad that I don't even know what I did to lose a friend........  of course, Mr. Tate hasn't been kind enough to have replied to my PMs as to why............  maybe he didn't get the messages........ yeah, that's it.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Jim Morris

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 09:58:49 AM »
If I had a dime fore every dunb thing I did or forgot to do in this sport I could retire. How about the time when I put my engine and cowling ect.back together,drove 30min to the feild,hooked up my lines,fueled the plane,ect and looked down to see I forgot to put the needle valve back in the engine. This happend twice now,but dont tell anyone.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 10:51:55 AM »
My most common brain dead is a recurring theme, I use a power panel for my glow ignitor(see you can already tell where this is going cantcha!) twice at contests and a *few* times practicing, my motor wont start when I am up,, hmm guess those glow plugs dont really like 12 volts after all,,,,,,,, sigh,, any great ideas how to keep from plugging the nistarter lead into the 12 volt lead?
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 11:19:40 AM »
Use a little ni-starter. Can't screw those up. Except when you forget to take it off. I actually did that on an official flight. Little sucker held one for the whole thing, too.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 03:55:26 PM »
Mark:
Been there.

At FCM, I got there a little late, my brother & nephew were having scads of weird engine problems - we all got spooked.  Took out my plane, didn't get a bump, checked the meter - no current.  THEN noticed the banana plugs - coming out of the 12V starter jacks....

Awwww shucks......
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 10:12:21 PM »
Use a little shrink tubing (or dope) to color code the plugs and jacks!  :!

A sure fire method (if you can get access), is to move the twelve volt jacks farther apart, and terminate the glow plug leads with a double banana plug (fixed spacing).

OK, confession time.  ::)

Twice in the past year, I've picked up a copy of Flying Models at the local shop, only to find that I already had that issue at home! HB~>  HB~>  HB~>

Bill

Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2007, 08:22:31 AM »
I'm blessed with a wonderful memory for a 68 year-old.  I can remember everything that I haven't forgotten!!  So there; eat your hearts out!!  Glen
Glen Wearden

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2007, 01:25:29 PM »
Maybe it isn't that we forget stuff, but that by our ages, we have so much to remember...

The answers take longer to float up to the window in the Magic 8-Ball because there are so many of them crowded in there...

That's my story and I'll stick with it...
\BEST\LOU

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2007, 10:52:43 PM »
Not enough grey RAM. It's that simple. Mind is too cluttered with trivial crap, like werk related garbage.   D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2007, 11:59:31 PM »
Yes, Mark, it has a tank compartment. Sheesh! I started the process last night. Looks kinda funny sitting there with gear wires sticking straight up about 24". I got the gear wire bent to fit in the wing, but haven't bent the feet yet. Then I stopped that to do the tank.   :)

I'll probably put the whole thing on hold until after the McMinnville contest. I have to take the primary weapon down and do some work on that before the weekend. 
It ain't bad yet. I have taken my plane to the circle an signaled start but  forgot to fill the tank. Trying to save time,ya right. This forgetting things is a progressive affliction that is unavoidable until you realize that something should be done about it. I just bawl the wife out because she doesn't remind me. Give it a try Randy. She now asks me if I have starter,lines, fuel and house key or my pants zipped up. HB~>
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 08:27:33 PM by Leo Mehl »

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2007, 07:17:22 AM »
This summer I switched to a different plane at the field, fueled it, started it, placed it in the stooge, went to the handle, waggled it to check controls, and the elevator on the wrong plane moved!  I hadn't switched the lines; the plane running in the stooge had no lines on it! Good thing I didn't pull the stooge line without checking the controls first...

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2007, 07:36:29 AM »
Wife.....?....Oh thats who that woman is living here!Thanks Leo I remember now.40 years of joint tax returns should have been a give away LOL.I think I have Alzheimer's ..but I really don't remember!Oops gotta go some woman just told me to get off this electronic  what cha macalit and take out  the .....garbage ...yeah thats what it was LOL :D :D ;D
AMA 89335

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2007, 09:00:42 AM »
Interestingly, I'm just about ready to start finishing the new plane. Just have to finish up the gear and I'm ready to go. Or so I thought. I was reading a thread on another board about fuel tanks and all of a sudden had to hit myself in the forehead. Duh! I have to build a tank  and make the fittings for the thing yet. Well, better now that with the base color on, I guess. I have to install vents in the nose and some sort of hold down system for the tank...after I actually build it.

Man, I hate it when that happens.   HB~>

HEEEEEEEEE!! HE! HE! HE! HA! HA! HAW,HAW,HAW!!!

Sorry Randy

(he he he )
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2007, 09:51:58 AM »
Well I finally solved my 12 volt glow starter problem fro earlinr in this thread, I bought a RCATS solid state stand alone LIthium ply glow ignintor, its so very very cool, no more will I connect my glow starter to thewrong terminal, It has a batteryt that is supposed to last all year on one charge so I dont have to remember to charge it either,, Now I just have to remember to put it in the van before I go flying,,  %^@
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2007, 12:00:46 PM »
Even back when my mind was new and shiny, I would make up a flow sheet for building an own design airplane or one from plans.  :!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2007, 01:07:29 AM »
Jim,

The problem is, there is a basic assumption that one learns from errors, If only it were true.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2007, 10:05:01 AM »
Hi Gil,

Mine is working at an extremely efficient, award winning, level!

If I must admit it, I actually bolted in the engine, dug out the hemostats from the drawer, and went to cut and install the fuel line................ hmmmmmmmmmm.............. I coulda swore there was a tank around here, SOMEWHERE!!!!!!!!  (finished airplane, mind you........)
Not even I have gotten that bad yet. LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ HB~>

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2007, 02:43:20 PM »
This summer I switched to a different plane at the field, fueled it, started it, placed it in the stooge, went to the handle, waggled it to check controls, and the elevator on the wrong plane moved!  I hadn't switched the lines; the plane running in the stooge had no lines on it! Good thing I didn't pull the stooge line without checking the controls first...

I have to admit I've never heard that one before. In the RC world, everyone has picked up the wrong transmitter and/or punched up the wrong model then launched it into oblivion.

I've never forgotten to install the fuel tank; I have forgotten to hook up the tubing.  n~ n~

I sure wish I could remember half the stuff I've forgotten.  LL~ LL~ LL~

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2007, 01:25:58 PM »
Hi Randy P,
I'm in the process of putting clear on my plane 3rd coat getting ready for paint etc. and all of a sudden I noticed that the weight box has disappeared. Now how did that happen and where did it go to?????  OOPS, here it is in the drawer. *&%^)#%%@&*#@
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2007, 04:45:35 PM »
Greg,

Yea, I know ther feeling.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2007, 09:15:44 PM »
I usually spend (at least) my breaks at work, making a list of things to do on my new plane, and then arranging them in the most efficient sequence. By quitting time, I'm usually pretty dialed on what to do when I get home. It's from my German/Vulcan heritage, I'm sure.  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2007, 10:42:05 PM »
Hey Randy, you forgot to bring Steve to the Fall Folliies. Whew! LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~  HB~>

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here