News:

• March 29, 2024, 06:14:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My First Electric Build  (Read 1266 times)

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
My First Electric Build
« on: April 13, 2019, 08:34:43 AM »
I have not built anything in over a year and I haven't done much flying either, because I let life get in the way.  Now that I am emerging from the fog, I'm going to try an electric powered plane.  I ordered a Vector (full size, now N30 legal) quick build kit from Tom Morris, which only took about 2 weeks to arrive.  It's basically an ARC, with sturdy light weight construction, complete wing (with ball link controls), stab/elevator and fuse with his 3D printed front motor mount installed.  A month of work, a few hours a day, and it's ready for primer.  A quick simple paint job (dope) and it's ready to fly.  I normally build from scratch, but I have to say as long as appearance points don't come into play this was quick and different for me, but enjoyable!  I'll post a pic when done.

Don

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: My First Electric Build
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 10:42:59 AM »
I have not built anything in over a year and I haven't done much flying either, because I let life get in the way.  Now that I am emerging from the fog, I'm going to try an electric powered plane.  I ordered a Vector (full size, now N30 legal) quick build kit from Tom Morris, which only took about 2 weeks to arrive.  It's basically an ARC, with sturdy light weight construction, complete wing (with ball link controls), stab/elevator and fuse with his 3D printed front motor mount installed.  A month of work, a few hours a day, and it's ready for primer.  A quick simple paint job (dope) and it's ready to fly.  I normally build from scratch, but I have to say as long as appearance points don't come into play this was quick and different for me, but enjoyable!  I'll post a pic when done.

Don
You are not going to regret this one.  Don't know what you plan for power but whatever it is, get a larger one!  Just kidding, from the looks of the plane you know what you are doing.

Nice Ship - Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 06:30:25 AM »
Thanks Ken.  I'm using a COBRA 3515 with a ZTW 65 amp ESC and KR gov/timer from RSM.  A friend of mine who is a top expert flier and has been using electrons for many years gave me a list of elecrical goodies to try out along with a source of inexpensive 5 cell 10 ounce batteries.  If this electric stuff works out I will need to find some buyers for lots of glow engines and accessories!

Don
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 08:07:46 AM by Don Jenkins »

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 08:07:12 AM »
Nice plane and system. The icing on the cake might be a prop from Igor Burger.

Thanks, I am on a waiting list for Igor's prop.  I hear good things about it!  Until then, the 12-6 APC will have to do.

Don

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 08:16:51 AM »
Thanks Ken.  I'm using a COBRA 3515 with a ZTW 65 amp ESC and KR gov/timer from RSM.  A friend of mine who is a top expert flier and has been using electrons for many years gave me a list of elecrical goodies to try out along with a source of inexpensive 5 cell 10 ounce batteries.  If this electric stuff works out I will need to find some buyers for lots of glow engines and accessories!

Don
I have the same motor in my PA ship.  It has more than enough power - good luck!
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here