News:

• April 23, 2024, 04:39:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Foam wing weight  (Read 1026 times)

Dwayne

• Trade Count: (0)
Foam wing weight
« on: November 24, 2018, 09:15:50 AM »
Just finishing up a foam wing that has 650 sq in, uncovered it weighs about 14.8 oz. Please is this good?
Thanks  y1

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
Re: Foam wing weight
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 09:44:05 AM »
You say you are finishing up this wing but a bit more info would help.  What exactly do you mean by uncovered?  Bellcrank, leadouts, leadout guide installed?

Dwayne

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 10:03:17 AM »
You say you are finishing up this wing but a bit more info would help.  What exactly do you mean by uncovered?  Bellcrank, leadouts, leadout guide installed?

Sorry it's all together, sheeted everything installed, just not finished, IE no dope or iron on.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 10:13:18 AM »
FWIW, my built-up Brodak Legacy, 690-ish square inches, flaps & control system installed but otherwise waiting for covering is 16 ounces even.  Given that foam wings are supposed to be a bit heavier than built-up (but ignoring the fact that I tend to build heavy), you don't seem to be too far off the mark.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 10:13:43 AM »
OK, assuming your weight of 14.8 ounces does not include the flaps, hinges, horn, or tip weight, I would say the weight at this time is OK.

If the 14.8 ounces includes all the items previously mentioned, then that is much better than what I have been able to do. 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here