News:

• April 17, 2024, 11:04:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Foam top block fiberglass covering - two layers?  (Read 1683 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Foam top block fiberglass covering - two layers?
« on: April 20, 2022, 08:21:15 AM »
Working on my Barnstormer top block, I have reinforced the fuse with cross bracing so it is very stiff and the foam top block is just for looks. I am looking at doing fiberglass covering with two layers of 1oz cloth and finishing epoxy. For those that have done foam blocks is two layers enough?

Best,   DennisT

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Foam top block fiberglass covering - two layers?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 10:16:34 AM »
Working on my Barnstormer top block, I have reinforced the fuse with cross bracing so it is very stiff and the foam top block is just for looks. I am looking at doing fiberglass covering with two layers of 1oz cloth and finishing epoxy. For those that have done foam blocks is two layers enough?

Best,   DennisT

Den,

I would use balsa. Use balsa.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 10:42:13 AM »
The pink foam top blocks are about 90% done so balsa is really not going to happen at this point. Also is electric so not much vibration to worry about. I have done fiberglass molded cowl blocks and it worked fine but was from 5oz glass, which I feel is heavy for this application. I just need to have something that holds the shape and is strong enough to hold up to someone picking up the ship and putting a finger on the top block.

I like the carbon idea just need to fine some cloth around 1 - 2oz weight. Resin plan is epoxy finishing resin.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2022, 11:36:36 AM »
If you find 1oz CF cloth let me know. One layer of that would do the job. I would use 2 layers of CF vail (tissue) applied at the same time with the finishing resin. Glass cloth, I would go for 2 layers of 1oz cloth so you can sand it all you want.

Motorman 8)

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2022, 12:50:53 PM »
I’m with Avaiojet.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2022, 01:45:10 PM »
Me three.  Question - is the Mark II OTS legal?

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2022, 03:35:19 PM »
1 ounce cloth will work just fine.
1/2 ounce in opposite directions to each other would do it to.

There is a local supplier of 1/2 and 3/4 ounce cloth. Would take about 10 days to get to the US from Australia.

I am still waiting for 1 1/2 ounce cloth. 6 weeks and counting. You know where from.

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2022, 05:54:34 PM »
The pink foam top blocks are about 90% done so balsa is really not going to happen at this point. Also is electric so not much vibration to worry about. I have done fiberglass molded cowl blocks and it worked fine but was from 5oz glass, which I feel is heavy for this application. I just need to have something that holds the shape and is strong enough to hold up to someone picking up the ship and putting a finger on the top block.

I like the carbon idea just need to fine some cloth around 1 - 2oz weight. Resin plan is epoxy finishing resin.

Best,   DennisT

Sounds like you know what to do but want some one to tell you it's OK. If you have experience using the 5 oz cloth, just adapt going by your previous experience. Going all the way back into the 60s I think, Ron St. Jean and others used foam for free flight fuselage components and just layered silk span or gift wrapping paper with white glue on the foam to provide a durable shell. A local guy here did a Tucker Special once using the same technique  with a couple of layers of heavy silk span and white glue on pink or blue foam. The finish on top of that was clear dope that had been "doped" with dabs of white dope in the clear dope used to do the build ups over it. The model came out less than 40 ounces and flew quite well and was pretty durable, but once the foam got some fuel into it , it degraded pretty quickly. The next time he dinged the ground with it on an outside loop, it wrote off the airplane.
    Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2022, 07:18:52 AM »
No the Mark II is a Classic era model. D>K
Bummer.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2022, 11:33:11 AM »
Dan,
Like many of us building time is limited so trying not to have to do a redo if I don't have to is a good thing. Again, just want to have enough strength to resist thumb dents from picking up the ship by the fuse (likely me taking it off or on the plane rake.

The Titebond carbon fiber method you mentioned is very interesting. I did remember it after you brought it up and did a forum search. Lots of infor from Bob Hunt and Phil C. I like that approach, just wondering how dent resistant the surface is? Might do a simple test block to see. It seems that it should weigh about the same, just less expensive material. Will see.

Best,    DennisT
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 02:16:55 PM by Dennis Toth »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2022, 12:10:22 PM »
Dan,
Like many of us building time is limited so trying not to have to do a redo if I don't have to is a good thing. Again, just want to have enough strength to resist thumb dents from picking up the ship by the fuse (likely me taking it off or on the plane rake.

The Titebond carbon fiber method you mentioned is very interesting. I did remember it after you brought it up and did as forum search. Lots of infor from Bob Hunt and Phil C. I like that approach, just wondering how dent resistant the surface is? Might do a simple test block to see. It seems that it should weigh about the same just less expensive material. Will see.

Best,    DennisT

Den,

Don't do it. You'll have a mess on your hands plus, the "E" in Epoxy stands for weight.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2022, 08:39:03 AM »
Yesterday I did some searching on this forum and found a lot of information by Paul Wood, Tim Wescott,   Istvan Travnik and Bob Hunt about using MiniWax Ploy, Titebond, Finishing Epoxy to adhere the fiberglass or CF to foam blocks. Seems this has been done for ages. I decided to do a simple test to see what each system would add as weight. I made up simple strip blocks from the pink foam, sanded through the hard surface to get it like the surface of the shaped top block which is more open and likely to absorb more material.

First test was to see with just the plain surface coated with each material until it had sealed with a sheen to it how it would feel under a finger pressure, kinda dent resistance. The Finishing Epoxy and Titebond III (thinned) took one coat to seal, the MiniWax Ploy took two as it is very thin our of the can. After drying/curing all day all surfaces were hard to the touch, as you might expect the F Epoxy felt very hard, the MiniWax Ploy almost as hard but the Titebond although hard had more flex. Granted these all would get harder with more time but close enough for this simple test. I had weight each block before applying the material (FE_2,25gm, TBIII_2.4gm, MWP_2.3gm) so I could get a feel for the amount of weight added by each. After they dried/cured I weighed them and the Epoxy was the heaviest followed by the Titebond then the MiniWax Ploy the lightest.

Next I added two layers of Carbon Fiber Vail to each and again filled the wave to a slight sheen. They cured/dried overnight and i did the dent/pressure test again and they all felt stronger and just about the same to the touch. I weighed them and as you would expect the F Epoxy was the heaviest at total gain of 1.35gm, Titebond second at 1.1gm and MiniWax Ploy the lightest at 0.5gm.

My conclusion is that the MiniWax Ploy for simple non-structural blocks is the lightest, easiest to apply and has more than adequate strength and dent resistance for the job with either carbon fiber vail or light weight fiberglass cloth.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 12:19:45 PM by Dennis Toth »

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2022, 11:22:29 AM »
  Well, now you have more documentation and specs from people who have done what you are doing. And you could probably dig back even further for more of the silk span and white glue methods. The guys that were doing it on free flight models back on the late 50s and 60s were know, top notch guys in their event so you could have confidence in what they were doing. A free flight gas model has the stress from the power portioned of flight from launch to engine shut down,  and then the stress from the DT to the shock of landing in who knows what kind of terrain.
  Have fun with the rest of the project,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Istvan Travnik

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2022, 02:14:24 PM »
Dear Dennis, dear All,
Thanks for introduce me several alternative laminating/finishing materials, since I have always problems obtaining my usual CIBA/Huntsman Araldite LY 5052 resin + its hardener from the aerospace industry.
This Minivax Polycrilic topcoat looks to be similar to our top water based acrylic hard floor lacquers, obtainable in Europe.
Only one question remained open for me: I never-ever found any water based coat, being fully methanol resistant.
(this is not a hard question for electric powered planes, but excludes these coats from using IC powered family, regardless of decoration paint and final covering lacquer).  I tried it, and I cried on it, believe me.
Istvan

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2022, 03:01:31 PM »
Dear Dennis, dear All,
Thanks for introduce me several alternative laminating/finishing materials, since I have always problems obtaining my usual CIBA/Huntsman Araldite LY 5052 resin + its hardener from the aerospace industry.
This Minivax Polycrilic topcoat looks to be similar to our top water based acrylic hard floor lacquers, obtainable in Europe.
Only one question remained open for me: I never-ever found any water based coat, being fully methanol resistant.
(this is not a hard question for electric powered planes, but excludes these coats from using IC powered family, regardless of decoration paint and final covering lacquer).  I tried it, and I cried on it, believe me.
Istvan

Hello Istvan;
     Once you get a layer or two built up over the foam, you can use pretty much anything you want or need to in order to fuel proof the finish. You just need to make sure all foam is covered.  You can do your colors and trim in anything you want, and then use any of the 2 parts catalyzed clear paints available to you.
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Istvan Travnik

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2022, 04:25:17 PM »
Dear Dan,
I need to tell you (and for the collective) my story (lesson) about my experiences. (Thanks God, only the nose got these coats, as follows:
1. Stabilizing paint of thinned LY 5052 epoxy, right onto the bluefoam.
2. Next day, I sanded with 280-320 grade wet paper to get a brilliant, smooth surface.
3. I covered with 1 layer of 2/3 oz glass, with thinned LY5052, After hardened, I slightly sanded.
4. I covered with 1 more layer of 2/3 oz glass, with thinned LY5052. After hardened, I slightly sanded again, the surface became superior quality, and strong enough to bear the engine bank,  tank, undercarriage, etc. Without long, hardwood spars...
I got waterbase acrylic hard floor lacquer, colored it to yellow, and sprayed on.
And sprayed on 2-component transparent polyurethane floor lacquer, just like before, for 50 years...
After several months, some vertical ripping appeared below the tanking/overflow tubes...
Next year appeared the foam, covered by the glass, in half centimeter wide strip...
Ripping and stripes, more and more...
 Finally, I put this complete nose into Polyethylene sack, fill with methanol, and after a week, I simply scratched everything from above the epoxied glass surface, by a bankcard. And paint with 2-component yellow polyurethane, and 2-component acrylic auto-lacquer on the top.
Istvan,
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 05:08:11 PM by Istvan Travnik »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here