News:

• May 04, 2024, 12:40:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shortening the Nose (Banshee)  (Read 3001 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Shortening the Nose (Banshee)
« on: February 04, 2015, 08:32:17 PM »
Built my E banshee with the nose about 3" too long to balance. I guess the wood in the kit was pretty light and who knew an E motor would be so heavy. Thought about just cutting 3" off the nose and rebuilding the mount from there. Then thought about cutting out a 3" segment farther back and making a butt joint so I don't have to rebuild the whole mount area. I'll need additional plywood on the sides to bridge the glue line so, it will be heavier. Can't decide. The wing's already glued in. You guys got any suggestions?

Thanks,
MM   

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Shortening the Nose (Banshee)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 08:50:15 PM »
Whack off the nose and rebuild.  Or see if you can move the battery back (I dunno if that's in the cards, use your judgment).

Next time, move the wing forward in the fuselage.  Banshees are made to work with unmuffled Fox 35's, which are pretty darned light.  They also tend to have a fairly short-coupled tail, which was popular back in the day but isn't how it's done now.  Increase the area of the horizontal stab by 20% or so, and you can call it a "Fancherized Banshee".

Are you sure you're not using way too much motor & battery for the plane?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 01:32:06 PM »
So, I also have to lengthen the tail or make a whole new fuselage, now I feel worse (lol).  How much longer do I make the tail?

MM

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 02:23:44 PM »
So, I also have to lengthen the tail or make a whole new fuselage, now I feel worse (lol).  How much longer do I make the tail?

No no no!  You have to get the dang thing in the air as expeditiously as possible.  Then you can start thinking about what to do to the next model (assuming there's another Banshee in your future).

A Banshee will fly just fine with a stock tail length -- it'll just fly better with a longer tail.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 09:16:34 PM »
Cut the fuse and move the wing 2 inch forward. I did this before I built the wing.

Steve

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 10:09:36 PM »
Cut the fuse and move the wing 2 inch forward. I did this before I built the wing.

Steve

Thanks for the number but the wing is already glued in. I just built this plane so I could prove you can put a battery box on center in the wing and not have it fold. I'll just shorten the nose and add tail weight to trim it if I have to.

Thanks,
MM

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 06:05:41 PM »
MM,
You didn't mention what motor and battery you are using. For a Banshee size ship you likely need something like an elite 15 size motor with a 2500 mah 4S battery. I think just adding the tail weight is the better and quickest solution. Among the other things to look at would be to use the lightest smallest plastic (like a 1 1/2") spinner you can, the smallest (like a 9x6) light prop. Also light foam wheels (again as small as you can get away with).

Best,        DennisT

Offline Don Coe

• 2019 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 05:45:06 AM »
I cut 2 1/2" off the nose of my electric Banshee.  Wing set in normal place.  C/G is 2 1/2" back from leading edge which is about 1/4" forward of the plans.  Battery box was mounted on wing to get the C/G desired.  After all that, the plane flies like a blimp and I'm not smart enough to figure out why.  HB~> 

Please keep posting on this build and how it flies.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 05:51:21 AM »
plane flies like a blimp  
Be more specific.  What is total weight ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Don Coe

• 2019 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 09:11:48 AM »
Be more specific.  What is total weight ?

Weight 48 oz with battery.  Engine is an Arrowind 2832/05.  Motor running about 85% and doing 5 1/2 second laps.  Plane very sluggish and erratic behavior.  Will  do a loop but extremely large.  I have changed the motor thrust angle but haven't gotten a chance to try.  Any help appreciated but don't want to hijack thread.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 06:11:24 PM »
rum
Weight 48 oz with battery.  Engine is an Arrowind 2832/05.  Motor running about 85% and doing 5 1/2 second laps.  Plane very sluggish and erratic behavior.  Will  do a loop but extremely large.  I have changed the motor thrust angle but haven't gotten a chance to try.  Any help appreciated but don't want to hijack thread.

Hey Don:

Please start a thread on this in the Open Forum of the electric on.  Since your problem is almost certainly general trim, the open forum is probably a better place for it.  We'll get it sorted, without messing up with this topic.
AMA 64232

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here