News:

• May 28, 2024, 09:01:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Twister recommendations  (Read 3117 times)

Steve Kientz

• Trade Count: (0)
Twister recommendations
« on: January 22, 2007, 05:52:44 AM »
I am looking for advice on BC size and leadout size for the Sig Twister.

Thanks in advance
Steve

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: Twister recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 09:42:37 AM »
The 3 inch that comes in the kit is fine, my Twistmaster has solid leadouts, think .030 or something like that. It will be 6 years old this comming March and is still bringing home hardware in P-40. This was taken in 03 when we were doing an in-flight video using a wireless camera.

Steve Kientz

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 10:45:43 AM »
Thanks for the info ,the reason for the question is mine was missing the BC and leadouts

Thanks
Steve

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 11:43:22 AM »
Contact Sig, they should make it right. If you don't contact them they will never know there was a problem. I'm sure Mike Gretz would want to know also.
Leester
ama 830538

Steve Kientz

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 03:43:53 PM »
Found the hardware package inside the silkspan,kit doesn't include leadout wire. I do have some Perfect brand .030" wire should be alright.

Thanks
Steve

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 06:15:43 PM »
Bob, do you by chance, have that vidio available? I would really like to see that.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 08:44:07 PM »
Hi Steve,

I have never built a Twister, so I am asking: Does the kit have adjustable lead outs?  If I remember correctly, the wingtips are flat plates, right? 

We built an RD-1, very similar wingtips, and substituted lite ply ribs for the tips (maybe they already are in the Twister??).  This allowed a very easy installation of adj. LOs.  We also put a 4-40 blind nut in the outboard "tip" at the CG, and could add the square lead weights to adjust wingtip weight.  Not the prettiest set up for weights, but easy and safe.  I think we built 3/4 oz. into the wing and added to the tip, as necessary.

Make everything you can adjustable from the tank mounting on out including a ball link to the elevator for adjustment.  I like to use the Tom Morris CF tube with the premade ends and ball links for a stiff push rod to the evevators.  Central Hobbies also supply the CF tube and hardware if you have a local shop that carries them.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 06:54:22 AM »
I bought a roll of .027" 7-strand wire rope.  It's rated at 125 pounds, or 250 for two lines.

It would take a much bigger man than me to benefit from anything heavier.

Do you have a bellcrank that can lift more than 250 pounds?

A 10-G pull test on 5-pound airplane is only 50 pounds.
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 10:44:49 AM »
Bob, do you by chance, have that vidio available? I would really like to see that.

Sorry, after the initial offering my VCR's started dying off and have no way to make copies any longer. Even think the master I made was damaged when one of the VCR's decided to eat the tape. I still have all the camera gear and the TwistMaster is flying better than ever. Someday I will repeat the flights except this time record directly to digital but first I need to get the building with power finished for my flying circle.

There is an AVI of the wingover floating aound the net I did off the tape. I still have it on this computer, maybe Robert could post it on this site.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 10:46:34 AM »
A reply to Bill,
No the Tister kit does not include adjustable leadouts, but they are as you say easy to add. And on my late lamented Twister, I also used the screw in the outboard wing to add weights.

Steve Kientz

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 10:57:57 AM »
I will attempt to incorporate all the changes mentioned so far. The adj. LO and wing wt.should be fairly easy, not sure about movable fuel tank.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 11:19:58 AM »
Steve, have you read or heard about the "Fancherized twister"? dont get me wrong , the stock twister flyes well however there are some mods that make it much better. simply put what I did to mine, lenghten tail 2" (some say 3", cant remember today which I did  ???) incerase the span of the tail one inch on each end,(increase span total of 2 inchs), I did the built up tail surfaces with geo ribs sort of to lighten it. add half ribs between each normal rib in the wing, helps prevent the starved horse look on the covering. The onlly other thing would be to make sure the tail is LIGHT.I also added tip weight box, adjustable leadouts, and silly me, I added removable tailwheel with capacity to add tail weight,(that was a real joke, I have a half ounce of lead in the nose!) ah well live and learn
when I get home I can post a pict of my twister, it flew awsome, before and after all three, crashes, the fourth, well its still recovering from that one
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 12:32:02 PM »
I will attempt to incorporate all the changes mentioned so far. The adj. LO and wing wt.should be fairly easy, not sure about movable fuel tank.

Having an adjustable fuel tank mounting is vfery simple, and there are several ways to do it.  All we really need is to be able to raise or lower it in relation to the centerline of the engine.

How do you normally mount your tanks on a profile?  The we can figure out the easiest way for it to be adjustable.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 02:49:27 PM »
Marks comment about the Fancherized Twister is right on the money.  Stock is good, but the 'Fancher' version is Better!  It was in Ted's column in MA several years ago.
Jim   ;D

Steve Kientz

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 05:54:54 PM »
The "Fancherized" Twister might be an ambitious project ,for know. The only mods I've done are to rebuild an ARF Flite Streakwing with a Skyray 35 fuselage.As far as tank mounting, either hooks and rubberbands or slots and tywraps.this is only my second complete build (not counting flitestreak or my Tutor II).

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 10:07:49 PM »
The "Fancherized" Twister might be an ambitious project ,for know. The only mods I've done are to rebuild an ARF Flite Streakwing with a Skyray 35 fuselage.As far as tank mounting, either hooks and rubberbands or slots and tywraps.this is only my second complete build (not counting flitestreak or my Tutor II).

With the hooks, leave enough distance between the hooks to move the tank (they usually need to be raised) and use a couple of plywood shims to make up the space difference between the tank and hooks.  Sometimes the tank will stay in place anyway with good rubber bands that are tight.  It seems that our engines like to run richer when we go inverted so we have to raise the level of the tank to even it out. 

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Steve Kientz

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 05:53:35 AM »
Thanks for the info,don't know what I'd do without all the help.STUNT HANGAR RULES!!

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 09:54:32 PM »
As Mark mentioned, Twisters do fly exceptionally well especially for a kit that costs about $60.00.

I've built four Twisters. The first was stock with the exception of changing the shape of the tail feathers a bit.  The other three are a version of the "Francherized" Twister.  All of mine finished up--nose heavy.  As Ted Francher recommended, I shortened the nose and added 3" to the fuselage.  Still tail heavy with a Brodak .40 for power which is a pretty light engine. 

It's strange how identical planes can have such different characteristics.  Evidentally they do though.

Joe
Joe Messinger

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here