News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:02:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finishing Resin for Glue  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Finishing Resin for Glue
« on: February 11, 2021, 09:28:48 PM »
blank
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 12:10:57 PM by Motorman »

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Finishing Resin for Glue
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 10:41:00 PM »
I'm getting a kit that has two 1/4 planks that you glue together to make a 1/2" fuselage.

It's a big joint and regular 30 minute epoxy is hard to spread out real thin and I don't want to make it heavy. Is it crazy to use Zap Zpoxy to laminate the two halves together? I did it once on a Twister and it seems to be ok but am I risking delamination?

You are only gluing balsa to itself, anything that cures is probably strong enough.

The title says "finishing resin" but you talk about epoxy. You really mean epoxy, presumably, not finishing resin, which is polyester resin, right? Although in this case, finishing resin would probably work well enough, too.

Brett

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 10:48:49 PM »
  Finishing resin or finish cure epoxy?  Finish cure epoxy, scraped thin with a layer of carbon fiber or light fiberglass between the halves and then put under pressure will help resist twisting. Probably wouldn't need the glass or carbon but if you got it to spare, why not?
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 12:08:16 AM »
Putting glass, or any other kind of reinforcement in the center of a plank fuselage is kind of pointless, unless you are trying to keep the wood from splitting along the grain.

Dave

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 11:30:12 AM »
ZAP has  epoxy they call Finishing Resin,which i use for everything from motor mounts to actual finishing.it has a thin viscosity that lets it flow and penetrate nicely .i have read here that it is  not good for motor mounts but i  have been using it ever since it came out and never had any mounts come loose .I have a picture of one of my stunters that hit the pavement strait in and broke the lugs off the engine but the mounts are still attached to the fuse
rad racer

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 04:05:24 PM »
Thanks Bob, that's what I wanted to know. Love the Zpoxy so many uses.

The ultimate answer to any of these "glue threads" is that you are only gluing balsa to balsa, literally anything that will cure properly is probably OK. The only thing I wouldn't use for this application is model cement (Ambroid, etc), but even then, many thousands of airplanes were built with it and they glued on doublers, etc and it worked fine.

There is definitely an element of "perfection is the enemy of good enough" in model airplanes, particularly stunt, where OCD is almost a job requirement.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here