News:

• March 29, 2024, 01:06:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: finding hinge centerlines  (Read 3583 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
finding hinge centerlines
« on: July 27, 2018, 01:09:21 PM »

When you are building, and you need to locate the hinge center lines 0n your moving surfaces what have you found to be the best/easiest way to do it??  Thanks
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: finding hinge centerlines
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 01:50:18 PM »
My absolute favorite tool for finding hinge centerlines is a hinge centering tool that was included in a Carl Goldberg Electra kit I bought back around 1990.  I wore it out and have acquired two more.  Those should last me the rest of my life.  I've seen other manufacturers make similar tools, and I've tried them.  But none match the simplicity and accuracy of the Goldberg tool.  If you can locate one, grab it.

Mark

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 02:09:26 PM »
I sand the slots into pieces that are half of the t.e/l.e. thickness and glue them together.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 10:24:42 AM »
Myself I'm not that meticulous and just eyeball it. D>K

The easiest way is to go cloth hinges. S?P
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 03:55:32 PM »
My absolute favorite tool for finding hinge centerlines is a hinge centering tool that was included in a Carl Goldberg Electra kit I bought back around 1990.  I wore it out and have acquired two more.  Those should last me the rest of my life.  I've seen other manufacturers make similar tools, and I've tried them.  But none match the simplicity and accuracy of the Goldberg tool.  If you can locate one, grab it.

Mark
;)  Ditto!!  ;)

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 01:10:51 AM »

Mark

So that's what that thing is.  I found one in my shop.  How do you use it?
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Tom Vieira

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 08:24:43 AM »
I like the robart pin hinges, use their little tool and voila, dead nuts center.

for flat ones, lay your surface down, and use a pen flat on a table, draw a line.  flip the surface over, draw a line again.  your center is between those two lines.  it's tough on thin stock, however....

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 10:04:58 AM »
A precise way to make hinge slots exactly centered is to use a Dremel arbor and a "cut-off" wheel in your drill press.  Adjust the wheel to be off the table by 1/2 the thickness of your stab, elevator, flap, etc.

Once a slot is cut, turn the piece over and run it again.  The slot will then be exactly centered.  If you have adjusted the Dremel wheel accurately, the slot will be equal or slightly thicker than the thickness of the wheel.

I always try the adjustment on a scrap piece to get the table set as close as I can to the center of the balsa piece.
Any setting error is cancelled by running it through twice, once with the piece upside down.

Of course, wing trailing edges must be slotted before the wing is assembled.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online Steve Thompson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 03:34:04 PM »
"So that's what that thing is.  I found one in my shop.  How do you use it?"

Two methods come to mind:

Put one leg above trailing edge and the other below trailing edge and turn until the legs contact balsa lightly.  Push and use the little pin to scribe centerline. 

Or, Insert one leg into each nostril and eyeball centerline through the hole.

I have some shop mystery tools also.  If I can't figure them out, I usually insert them into my nose.  That always works.

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 09:08:55 PM »
So that's what that thing is.  I found one in my shop.  How do you use it?

Come on!! ::) :o

PS. I love Floyd's technique!!!
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 12:03:18 AM »
Well, just in case someone doesn't know how these work, I grabbed my hat cam and a piece of scrap to shoot a quick clip of using the Goldberg tool.  I've used this on everything from 1/16" sheet up to 1/2" sheet.  Since this makes such a nice fine line, I use a 0.5mm mechanical pencil to highlight the line scribed in the wood.  I don't know why no one makes these now that Goldberg is no longer making them.  I don't see any patent number stamped on the tool...

Mark
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 07:51:38 AM by Mark Mc »

Offline mccoy40

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2018, 08:16:27 AM »
I build mine with a center sheet of 1/32 between two half size sheets - so 1/8 then 1/32 then 1/8 over the 1/32. the 1/32 sheet is cut for the size and position of the hinges
Joseph Meyer
Philadelphia, PA

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 10:05:37 AM »
"So that's what that thing is.  I found one in my shop.  How do you use it?"

Two methods come to mind:

Put one leg above trailing edge and the other below trailing edge and turn until the legs contact balsa lightly.  Push and use the little pin to scribe centerline. 

Or, Insert one leg into each nostril and eyeball centerline through the hole.

I have some shop mystery tools also.  If I can't figure them out, I usually insert them into my nose.  That always works.

LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Boy! You really got me rolling on that one!

Jerry

Offline louie klein

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 05:59:30 PM »
I came up with a neat one. If you have a multi tool, I took my Dremel cutoff wheel and notched the flat blade so the teeth is about .40 wide. I then found some steel spacers to center the blade on the thickness. Turn that sucker on and eat right into the flap, le, elevator, etc and out comes a perfect slot. The blade is .032 thk and perfect for nylon hinges.---Louie

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 10:51:00 AM »

Louie, can you post a picture of that tool?  Sounds interesting, thanks... y1
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2018, 11:46:42 AM »
In case you couldn't see it, the two guide legs on Mark McRiley's Goldberg tool are flattened on the side for even contact with the wood.

In lieu of that tool, I tape a piece of music wire with a diameter half the thickness of the wood to the table. Then butt the wood up to it and trace a line with a mechanical pencil. Then I flip the wood over and do it again, being careful to hold the pencil at the same angle both times. If there is any gap between the scribed lines, that's your center.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline louie klein

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 08:23:34 AM »
bootlegger, I am not setup to post pic's but I use the "flat flush cut blade". This blade is on all Multi-tools. The cutting edge of the blade is over an 1" wide so I  use a dremel cutoff wheel to cut  or notch each side. My cutting edge is approx. .400 wide. I make 2 cuts parallel to c/l of blade and then two cuts perpendicular to create the "notches". The blade should be 1/32" thk. so say your flap is 3/16 thk, subtract 1/32 and divide in half and this will be your spacer thickness. The depth you cut is up to your hinge type. For trailing edges I don't worry because the angle the slot is at will still allow the hinge to flex 180 degrees. I hope this helps. If you don't have a multi tool go Northern tool. They are a descent $$.----Louie

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2018, 04:51:16 PM »
I build hinge pockets out of 1/64" and 1/32" plywood. The build a strip with the pocket in it and use it as a center piece in the trailing or leading egde. Instant hinge pockets and dead straight. Easier than a lot of methods.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2018, 06:27:20 PM »
Randy-
Are the thicknesses you mentioned, 1/64" and 1/32", for two different types of hinges??
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2018, 06:46:07 AM »
Most folks around here seem to laminate their TE's with 1/32" sheet balsa in the center, and leave spaces to create hinge pockets. If you use the CA & silkspan method of installing hinges, it's Da Bomb. If the hinges are a little loose with one layer of silkspan (folded over the hinge tab), add a second layer of silkspan. Laminated TE stays straight if you use CA or epoxy, & not any of the water based glues. Do the same thing for the LE of the wiggly surfaces. D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2018, 03:53:01 PM »
Hinges (DuBro, Klett, whatever) are generally about 1/32" thick.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here