News:

• April 24, 2024, 03:18:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fillets and monokote??  (Read 2846 times)

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fillets and monokote??
« on: June 18, 2018, 11:01:33 AM »
Twister is moving along buy I like to plan ahead.

Planning on monokoting the Wing and Rustoleum on the fuse. But want to add fillet.

When or how should I go about this?

I probably should dig through some threads but dont have time.

Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Fillets and monokote??
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 11:49:51 AM »
Twister is moving along buy I like to plan ahead.

Planning on monokoting the Wing and Rustoleum on the fuse. But want to add fillet.

When or how should I go about this?

I probably should dig through some threads but dont have time.

Hmm - but clearly the rest of us have time to do your research for you?...

Despite that, cover the wing/tail, leave bare wood at the roots of the wing and tail, for about 1/8" or so being exposed when assembled. After assembly, and after doing the prep work for the fuselage, up to the point of applying filler, use steel wool to rough up the monokote out to the width of the fillet, clean it thoroughly with acetone. Apply the fillets over the end of the Monokote, sealing it permanently at the root. Then finish a little beyond the edge of the fillet with whatever finish you use on the fuselage.

Brett

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 12:10:40 PM »
Hmm - but clearly the rest of us have time to do your research for you?...

Despite that, cover the wing/tail, leave bare wood at the roots of the wing and tail, for about 1/8" or so being exposed when assembled. After assembly, and after doing the prep work for the fuselage, up to the point of applying filler, use steel wool to rough up the monokote out to the width of the fillet, clean it thoroughly with acetone. Apply the fillets over the end of the Monokote, sealing it permanently at the root. Then finish a little beyond the edge of the fillet with whatever finish you use on the fuselage.

Brett
Thanks Brett.

I had a few minutes in between jobs to allow me yo make a post. Now Im off work i can do whatever...thanks tho

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 01:31:23 PM »
When I'm finishing with Rustoleum, I put the wing in the fuse in the bare-wood stage, do the fillets, paint to about 2" out on the wing roots, then 'coat up to about 1" out on the wing roots for plenty of overlap.  Monocoat and Rustoleum have different shades of white, but it's not too bad.

Here is a link to an old build thread of mine with the process to actually lay down the fillets described.  Note where it says "if my fillets fall off..." -- the plane has well over 500 flights on it, possibly 800 or so (I didn't keep good count).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 02:16:51 PM »
When I'm finishing with Rustoleum, I put the wing in the fuse in the bare-wood stage, do the fillets, paint to about 2" out on the wing roots, then 'coat up to about 1" out on the wing roots for plenty of overlap.  Monocoat and Rustoleum have different shades of white, but it's not too bad.

Here is a link to an old build thread of mine with the process to actually lay down the fillets described.  Note where it says "if my fillets fall off..." -- the plane has well over 500 flights on it, possibly 800 or so (I didn't keep good count).
Tim that is exactly what I needed to read!!! Thanks!!!

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 02:40:51 PM »
  Do as Brett suggests , then add fillets, or install wing bare, then cover within 1/8" or so of fuselage, then add fillets. The fillets will adhere to the bare wood also, and still seal the covering. This lets the covering bond to the bare wood better than painted surfaces, and seals the edges of the covering down. Every plane I have done this way is still functional and covering still attached.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 02:42:02 PM »

I strongly recommend putting the fillets OVER the edge of the Monokote, that ensures that it will be sealed against fuel intrusion forever.

Brett

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 02:47:06 PM »
Thats how I understood it lol.

Wing is already installed.. bare, so it will work out just fine.

Thanks yall.

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 03:12:27 PM »
  I strongly recommend putting the fillets OVER the edge of the Monokote, that ensures that it will be sealed against fuel intrusion forever.

Brett

I haven't had much problems, and the planes have many miles on them.

I do see your point -- I just don't like the idea of gluing down covering material right at the edge like that, at least not on a plane that may be crashed.  (If it's not going to be crashed -- don't use 'coat!)
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 04:06:14 PM »
Brett's method is the best.  One thing I can say about putting monokote over a fillets is DON'T EVEN TRY.  It can be done but it ain't pretty.  I have done it and it took forever to get something that looks half way decent.  Looks OK standoff but up close, well just don't get up close.  Only way it will work is if the fuselage is also monokoted.  Do the fillets first with strips that will cover the fillet with about 1/4" on both sides.  Use gobs of balsa-rite and tack the monokote down the center of the fillet.  Let the glue set then slowly, using the coolest setting that will melt the glue, work the monokote from the inside out.  Just keep in mind that it wants to shrink and will pull away if you get it too hot.  If that happens, slit the bubble with a knife, iron down the edges and cover it with a thin strip.  Once it shrinks, you have little chance of ever getting that bulge out.

I use Monokote on everything because it is Wife Friendly.  There is not one sq" on the attached that is not monokote.  1/2" fillets on wing, 1/4 on tail.

Good Luck - Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 06:49:40 PM »
Paint the fillets.  It will be a nightmare to cover any but the most gentle hollows with film. 

An undercambered wing is pretty difficult to get covered well without pulling itself free from the hollow bottom.

Phil

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 06:51:07 PM »
Ok I guess yall misunderstood me lol... i wasnt planning on covering OVER the fillets lol.  I was talking about putting fillets over the monokote THEN painting lol

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 07:26:27 PM »
I haven't had much problems, and the planes have many miles on them.

I do see your point -- I just don't like the idea of gluing down covering material right at the edge like that, at least not on a plane that may be crashed.  (If it's not going to be crashed -- don't use 'coat!)

On a model that may be considered expendable, , monokote the whole thing and use silicone caulk as the fillet material, and apply the same way as you would epoxy/micro balloons or Super Fill, or whatever. I think I heard  Keith Sandberg refer to it as "Tube-O-Fillets" when he held up the tube of caulk he was using while assembling a Fllitestreak ARF at the SIG contest one year. It's available in several colors and clear, and can be coordinated with the color of the material used for covering. It sticks to bare wood and covering material well, and is fuel proof. it can be dug out if need be for repairs and replaced. My SIG Primary Force is covered in orange with white trim just like the box and has white bath tube caulk for the wing fillets
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 07:27:51 PM »
    On a model that may be considered expendable, , monokote the whole thing and use silicone caulk as the fillet material, and apply the same way as you would epoxy/micro balloons or Super Fill, or whatever. I think I heard  Keith Sandberg refer to it as "Tube-O-Fillets" when he held up the tube of caulk he was using while assembling a Fllitestreak ARF at the SIG contest one year. It's available in several colors and clear, and can be coordinated with the color of the material used for covering. It sticks to bare wood and covering material well, and is fuel proof. it can be dug out if need be for repairs and replaced. My SIG Primary Force is covered in orange with white trim just like the box and has white bath tube caulk for the wing fillets
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
And what alot of peeps dont know is Windex is excellent for making silicone smoooooottthhhhh

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 09:04:48 PM »
Paint the fillets.  It will be a nightmare to cover any but the most gentle hollows with film. 

An undercambered wing is pretty difficult to get covered well without pulling itself free from the hollow bottom.

Phil
It can be done if you have the patience of an old Monk and a month with nothing better to do.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 09:23:31 PM »
Ok I guess yall misunderstood me lol... i wasnt planning on covering OVER the fillets lol.  I was talking about putting fillets over the monokote THEN painting lol

No, we got it, just wanted you to see what you were missing out on!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 09:30:43 PM »
Ahhhh
No, we got it, just wanted you to see what you were missing out on!

Ken

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2018, 11:17:30 AM »
It can be done if you have the patience of an old Monk and a month with nothing better to do.

Ken

I was told by someone who flys RC that he uses vinyl striping tape from the auto parts store.  Pressure sensitive adhesive, pliable, and meant to go around curves.  Looked ok on his plane, but the color didn't match.

Phil

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2018, 11:21:29 AM »
I was told by someone who flys RC that he uses vinyl striping tape from the auto parts store.  Pressure sensitive adhesive, pliable, and meant to go around curves.  Looked ok on his plane, but the color didn't match.

Phil
That is an idea worth looking into.
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2018, 02:50:03 PM »
Do it exactly the way Brett discussed and you'll have a good looking fuel resistant wing to fuse joint.......PhillySkip

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2018, 07:38:53 AM »
Ask Larry Fernandez how he does it.  :D
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here