News:

• April 18, 2024, 01:24:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fiberglass under or over profile ply doubler?  (Read 2548 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fiberglass under or over profile ply doubler?
« on: April 23, 2021, 03:48:58 PM »
I am just getting a new very light profile fuse for my electric Ringmaster together to replace the one that the nose broke off in a weird crash. The new fuse is very light and setup for electric from the get-go (the whole fuse weight less the just the old back half). I have a core of 3/8" balsa with 1/16" cross grain sides. This made it very stiff torsional but it's a little soft in bending. I plan on putting light weight fiberglass on with nitrate to stick it down then one scrapped coat of finishing epoxy, then dope finish.

I am at the point of adding the fiberglass or adding the 1/32" nose plywood doubler. Question is do I apply the fiberglass to the balsa fuse first or install the doubler than fiberglass over it and the rest of fuse? I'm going between solid bending strength with no bend that goes under the plywood or doesn't it matter if it goes over the small ply bump? What's your thoughts or experience?

Best,    DennisT

Online Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Fiberglass under or over profile ply doubler?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 12:09:20 AM »
Glass on the outside.

Offline Kim Doherty

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 05:10:06 PM »
I am just getting a new very light profile fuse for my electric Ringmaster together to replace the one that the nose broke off in a weird crash. The new fuse is very light and setup for electric from the get-go (the whole fuse weight less the just the old back half). I have a core of 3/8" balsa with 1/16" cross grain sides. This made it very stiff torsional but it's a little soft in bending. I plan on putting light weight fiberglass on with nitrate to stick it down then one scrapped coat of finishing epoxy, then dope finish.

I am at the point of adding the fiberglass or adding the 1/32" nose plywood doubler. Question is do I apply the fiberglass to the balsa fuse first or install the doubler than fiberglass over it and the rest of fuse? I'm going between solid bending strength with no bend that goes under the plywood or doesn't it matter if it goes over the small ply bump? What's your thoughts or experience?
Best,    DennisT

Dennis
There is no such thing as “light weight fibreglass”
Carefully place the fibreglass in a drawer along with the epoxy and shut it.
You said the fuse is torsionally stiff - that is all you need. I am guessing that you placed the fuse gently on your knee and lightly pressed both ends. Some minor bending occurred.
Do not bend the fuselage over your knee while the model is in flight.
Put the 1/32 back in the wood rack and select a piece of 1/64 ply to be your fuselage stiffener. This is all you need.

Kim 😊

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 11:52:58 AM »
Kim,
I agree with the 1/64 ply but this is only an S1 Ringmaster for some OTS practice and fun. The original kit fuse for the conversion was 8+ oz., my replacement is only 2 oz. built for the electric straight out. Right now it is very stiff in twisting but can bend easily so adding the glass will at best add 1 oz. using the epoxy scrap method then finish with dope. If it were a serious profile stunter I would have gone with a stick/frame/1/64" ply build. I have one of Tom Morris's profile fuses and it is light and stiff with the 1/64" ply sides.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Kim Doherty

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 03:45:40 PM »
Kim,
I agree with the 1/64 ply but this is only an S1 Ringmaster for some OTS practice and fun. The original kit fuse for the conversion was 8+ oz., my replacement is only 2 oz. built for the electric straight out. Right now it is very stiff in twisting but can bend easily so adding the glass will at best add 1 oz. using the epoxy scrap method then finish with dope. If it were a serious profile stunter I would have gone with a stick/frame/1/64" ply build. I have one of Tom Morris's profile fuses and it is light and stiff with the 1/64" ply sides.

Best,    DennisT

Dennis,
If you want the fuselage to be stiff then run an 1/8” spruce strip through the middle of the fuselage end to end.
If you try to adhere the glass with nitrate dope then you have destroyed the bond that would have been made between the wood the glass and the epoxy. This would have you bonding epoxy to nitrate dope. The glass is adding next to nothing. IMHO you are just adding weight for no purpose with the glass. Pretty much ANY model can be trimmed out to perform at a fairly high level. Certainly a Ringmaster can. Why waste all that time by purposely making something too heavy.  You said the first fuselage weighed about eight ounces. For comparison, my 730 sq/in Shockwave fuselage full built up complete with take-a-parts weighed about 6.5 ounces. ~ 40” long.
Heck, silk span and dope add IMMENSE strength.

Kim
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 09:16:01 AM by Kim Doherty »

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 06:04:04 AM »
For an electric, I am starting to question the need to use plywood at all.  I am building my "One Ship for Everything" plane right now and all I could get locally was 8lb balsa.  By the time I was ready to add the 1/32 plywood doublers on the nose it was already so strong that I left them off.  Balsa is incredibly strong for its weight.  I use large fillets at the wing joint so I am about to finish my first plane with zero plywood.   ~^

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 08:43:44 AM »
Ken,
My concerns with not having the plywood are for the side loads imposed by the prop gyroscopic forces. Granted in electric we use very light props but some use CF props that are very stiff but close in weight to a wood prop. On hard corners the side force could be considerable so for me I still use thin 1/32" ply doublers. I have been tempted to go to 1/64" but since I can afford the weight I haven't had the guts to try it.

Best,    DennisT

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 02:01:53 PM »
As short as the fuselage is of the S-1 Ringmaster you should have no worries about side loads.  Remember we used to fly these in combat years ago.   Also when racing these we have not torn a nose off.   Build it light and straight.  As stated earlier a srip of hard wood running the length of the fuselage will stiffen it up considerably.  If you are worried that some one will complain because you left off the ply wood, go with lite ply.  Also put hard wood inserts where landing gear will be strapped to. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 04:55:41 PM »
Ken,
My concerns with not having the plywood are for the side loads imposed by the prop gyroscopic forces. Granted in electric we use very light props but some use CF props that are very stiff but close in weight to a wood prop. On hard corners the side force could be considerable so for me I still use thin 1/32" ply doublers. I have been tempted to go to 1/64" but since I can afford the weight I haven't had the guts to try it.

Best,    DennisT
I share your concern but I think that the thickness of the balsa structure and the large fillets should hold.  Won't know till I try it and if you are right I will paint a huge "I TOLD YOU SO" on the nose! LL~
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2021, 06:52:21 AM »
Ken,
You didn't mention if it is a profile or full fuse. I agree if full fuse with some hard 8 lb balsa should work. If profile, if it is a full 1/2" might be OK. My profile is 3/8" core with cross grain 1/16" overlay. It was very light but not stiff. I agree with what Kim wrote about adding the spruce strip would do the job but I am to far along to add that. I also agree that if you built the fuse strip and cover would be very strong and light but again I'm to far along.

Right now glass is on the fuse and it is still only 2 1/4 oz. It is now very stiff and should be a pretty good fuse for my use.

Best,   DennisT

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2021, 09:52:50 AM »
 Seems a bit risky on a 10" nose with a 3515 or 3520 motor and a 12" prop.  There's a lot of torque being applied from the motor/battery weight in the G-force of a hard square, triangle, hourglass, ect, and a lot of force from the motor's torque as it increases power to maintain the governor rpm.  1/64 or 1/32 ply doublers seems like good strength insurance and a good way to keep certain harmonics and other potential ills from developing.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2021, 10:36:51 PM »
FWIW: I disagree that fiberglass is too heavy. .56-oz  glass is thinner and takes less matrix that some other coatings, and my tests show that with fiberglass attached with the right amount of epoxy or dope, it can weigh less than silkspanned surfaces. I've posted this before, with data and photos. I know it's too late, but the fuselage would be less flexible with laminated balsa grain applied longitudinally (fore <-> aft) and really stiff torsionally with glass applied over it biased at 45 degrees. Dope application is easy and less messy, but sheets of glass or silkspan can float, while applying glass to squeegeed epoxy will not do so, and the glass/epoxy is noticeably stiffer. You can use 1/16" plywood butt-jointed to 1/16" balsa with a slanted seam and not have an appreciable stress-riser. - SK

Online Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2021, 01:19:50 AM »
Completely agree with SK's answer.

D

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2021, 07:58:43 AM »
Seems a bit risky on a 10" nose with a 3515 or 3520 motor and a 12" prop.  There's a lot of torque being applied from the motor/battery weight in the G-force of a hard square, triangle, hourglass, ect, and a lot of force from the motor's torque as it increases power to maintain the governor rpm.  1/64 or 1/32 ply doublers seems like good strength insurance and a good way to keep certain harmonics and other potential ills from developing.
You are making a convincing argument.  The stress I am not addressing adequately is the twisting that may/will occur which will eventually crack the wing/fuselage joint. It is stressed internally with CF rods but....

For reasons that probably won't make much sense to most I am not able to use anything that produces strong lasting odors in building this ship.  That rules out dope and even rattle-can.  I even avoid prolonged CA applications. Everything is going to be MonoKoted.  I have done this before so I know how to do the fuselage (not fun) and joints.  Problem occurs when you use a surface that MonoKote doesn't like much so I try and keep everything it touches Balsa.  Plywood, even Bass,  doesn't adhere well.  It also doesn't do well over epoxy. The fiberglass option may be the way to go but I will probably have to skin it with some 1/32 balsa or find something to stick it on that doesn't smell - any ideas?

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2021, 02:18:54 PM »
If you are needing some extra adhesion for the film on your fuselage and fillets, here is a good option. 

Deluxe Materials from the UK makes a water soluble, heat activated covering adhesive called Cover Grip.  A no-stink version of Sig Stix-It or Coverite Balsarite.  Cover Grip is readily available online in the USA.  Deluxe Materials has a lot of effective water based products.

https://deluxematerials.co.uk/products/cover-grip

Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2021, 07:42:30 PM »
Ken, the old DOC uses very little CA,  glue is Elmer's Glue All, for construction and Mod-Podge for putting silk-span, Poly-span or DOC paper down.  Well the only epoxy is for the engine mounts plus plywood lamination.  My Dogs love it in the shop now. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2021, 06:22:12 AM »
Ken,
Is your ship going to be electric? That gives you lots of options for finish, acrylic water based paint (check YouTube for model car or aircraft finishing), even the MonoKote trim sheets can be used.

For my project which is a rebuild of an S1 Ringmaster electrified, I chose the very light 3/8" balsa core (what I had in the shop), cross grain 1/16" skins with light weight Deluxe Material fiberglass (only stuff the local shop had). I adhered the cross gain and the fiberglass with 20 min Finishing Resin scraped thin. I put it on under the 1/32" ply nose reinforcement to give smooth continuous cover. It worked very well and the fuse is very stiff in torsion and bending and only 3 oz. (original S1 Sterling kit fuse was 8 oz.). I will finish with some Zinc steroid (Randy Smith Aero lite) and dope then dope color and clear. Should be less then 4.5 oz. big weight savings over the original.

Best,    DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here