Building Tips and technical articles. > Building techniques

Fiberglass under or over profile ply doubler?

<< < (4/4)

john e. holliday:
Ken, the old DOC uses very little CA,  glue is Elmer's Glue All, for construction and Mod-Podge for putting silk-span, Poly-span or DOC paper down.  Well the only epoxy is for the engine mounts plus plywood lamination.  My Dogs love it in the shop now. D>K

Dennis Toth:
Ken,
Is your ship going to be electric? That gives you lots of options for finish, acrylic water based paint (check YouTube for model car or aircraft finishing), even the MonoKote trim sheets can be used.

For my project which is a rebuild of an S1 Ringmaster electrified, I chose the very light 3/8" balsa core (what I had in the shop), cross grain 1/16" skins with light weight Deluxe Material fiberglass (only stuff the local shop had). I adhered the cross gain and the fiberglass with 20 min Finishing Resin scraped thin. I put it on under the 1/32" ply nose reinforcement to give smooth continuous cover. It worked very well and the fuse is very stiff in torsion and bending and only 3 oz. (original S1 Sterling kit fuse was 8 oz.). I will finish with some Zinc steroid (Randy Smith Aero lite) and dope then dope color and clear. Should be less then 4.5 oz. big weight savings over the original.

Best,    DennisT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version