News:

• April 16, 2024, 07:29:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fancherized Twister Build  (Read 56362 times)

Online Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Fancherized Twister Build
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2012, 01:49:46 PM »
I like the south end of the fuselage.  You can just shove it in the ground to have the airplane stand up for engine work. VD~
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2012, 01:52:08 PM »
If I need tail weight I'll replace the tip of the fin with tool steel!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2012, 11:36:06 PM »
There.  Nothing makes a project magazine-ready like suspension parts that are hand milled from solid billet aluminum.

If anyone needs me, I'll be sitting right here by the phone, waiting for the editor of Street Rodder to call.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2012, 05:47:17 PM »
Tim......?.more flying less machining
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2012, 06:25:24 PM »
It was dark outside, Mark.

And all my planes have at least one hand-machined part hiding someplace.  It's a requirement.

And besides: I couldn't figure out how to make it from wood.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2012, 03:53:51 PM »
The tail weight box.  There's not a whole lot of room -- but hopefully I won't need much weight in there.

And, if the KISS is any indication, it'll be empty and I'll be putting lead in the nose.
AMA 64232

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2012, 04:15:47 PM »
Mark, it's going to be a long Winter for us. This thing should have been finished 3 weeks ago, as of last Saturday. With a trike gear, it almost requires twin fins or a V-tail...watch for it.  :'( Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #107 on: October 13, 2012, 04:43:06 PM »
What, you don't think the fuselage profile is enough?  Jeeze.

I'm thinking of doing a semi-scale stunt Beech Bonanza next, though.
AMA 64232

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #108 on: October 13, 2012, 05:45:17 PM »
Interesting fuselage shape. Will it get a rudder?

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #109 on: October 13, 2012, 10:33:37 PM »
More like a dorsal fin.  That's next.

If you can dig up any pictures of Bob Hunt's 1976 Genesis -- that's where the profile comes from.
AMA 64232

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2012, 08:39:36 AM »
Looking good Tim.  Looks like you've done a good job recreating the Genesis profile shape.  Below is a view of the original.
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2012, 01:43:58 PM »
I'm following the construction article in the August 1977 Flying Models, while retaining the wing and tail of the Fancherized Twister plans, and trying to make sure that the overall effect of fin and fuselage add up to roughly the same as that of the Fancherized Twister.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2012, 10:24:30 PM »
Fuse done.  Time to hinge surfaces, then start painting.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #113 on: October 27, 2012, 07:13:46 PM »
Definitely overwrought.

I haven't had much working time lately, but I just got the flap blanks done.  I'm gluing in 1/8" brass tubing to receive the horn, with 1/32" plywood patches top and bottom to help prevent break-out.  Now for a bit of epoxy on this, then I'll be ready to hinge the flaps.

I may even get this done before spring.  If I'm lucky.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2012, 04:39:08 PM »
I've been busy-busy with real work, haven't had much time for modeling.

I have gotten the surfaces hinged (not shown), and the flap & elevator horns made.

I'm going with ball links all around, with fixed geometry at the flap horn and a slot in the elevator horn -- either to make sure I have fine enough adjustment, or an opportunity for my airplane's trim to go all to hell at contests, I'm not sure which.
AMA 64232

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2012, 06:50:52 PM »
Tim,

Looks a little weird having the input to the wires not centered. But then maybe differential flaps and elevators are part of the plan.

Dan
Dan Rutherford

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #116 on: November 21, 2012, 12:51:48 PM »
Hmmm... Expected at least some sort of response, even if not directly from Tim. Especially as there has been no Sekrit Trap laid for the unsuspecting.

Clearly it is time to invoke WWBWD (What Would Bob Whitely Do).

"Tim, you cretin, you low-life, you pathetic poser, you pitiful acocolyte of Ted's, why can't you simply build models to my standards, some of the highest standards on this planet?! Those control horns absolutely suck!! Were I in your shop at this very moment my boots would be stomping these horrible bits into oblivion! And yet you are so stinkin' proud of them not only were pictures taken, said pictures were introduced to the Internet! And don't even think about powering your next OT or Classic model with an electric git-up as that will result in my next missive to you using harsh language!"

(For those lacking in the appreciation of humor, please stand by while we adjust your set.)

Dan

Dan Rutherford

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #117 on: November 21, 2012, 01:25:25 PM »
Hey, Dan, you're criticizing a lot of folks' design choices here, not just mine.  I'm going by the rule that "if it's on the KISS then its OK on Sister Jenny" -- and the KISS has horns that are offset on the wires, and the wires appear to be 3/32", just like mine (I could be wrong on the diameter, but not the offsetedness).

(And the KISS is, by far, the nicest plane that I've ever flown.  This probably says more about how many different planes I've flown than anything else, but I think my score jumped by at least 10 points just flying the KISS for the second and third times at the August contest in Auburn).

And it's not that I'm necessarily proud of what I'm doing, just that I'm trying to document more or less everything per the responses to my very first post in this thread, which was "should I bother posting another build thread?".

So instead of undirected negativity, could we have pictures of what you do and an explanation of why it's better?  The only thing that I can think of is that you center the horn on wire link, then offset the wire in the surfaces so that the horn isn't smacking into the fuselage.
AMA 64232

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #118 on: November 21, 2012, 04:14:55 PM »
Tim, I see no similarity between the "KISS!"  :-* horns and these pictured, except for the 3/32" wire size! It has two levers on the flap horn (cleaner install on a profile), and one on the elevator. Steel is heavy; avoid it if possible. Longer levers (1.5") would be my choice, and I think I'd opt for close hole spacing at the elev. horn instead of the slot. 

The "KISS!" is somewhat handicapped by a 3" BC, but mostly by excess pork in the hindquarters.  y1 Steve 

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #119 on: November 21, 2012, 04:17:19 PM »
Tim, not to criticize, but... if you had looked a little more closely at said "KISS" you would have noticed bushings to support the horns, of course they are probably buried in the fuselage.  Without the bushings you put all of the load on the hinges.  Not too late, but you will need to use split bushings to get past the bends.  Just don't skip it.
Mike

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #120 on: November 21, 2012, 04:50:02 PM »
Tim, not to criticize, but... if you had looked a little more closely at said "KISS" you would have noticed bushings to support the horns, of course they are probably buried in the fuselage.  Without the bushings you put all of the load on the hinges.  Not too late, but you will need to use split bushings to get past the bends.  Just don't skip it.

Oops.  I knew that.  Really I did.
AMA 64232

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #121 on: November 26, 2012, 12:17:20 PM »
Clearly humor didn't work as predicted, even though it is thought my caricature of Mr. Whitely was pretty funny and pretty good.

As Tim has chosen to be on the defensive and I helped in putting him there we will ignore his comments.

Less one: I do not regard it as criticizing anyone's design choices, especially when merely pushing around the margins, when striving for a better solution to a problem. However, should that be the case here the situation is easily resolved by pointing out that Derek Moran and I are horribly offended (insert satirical icon of choice here) by your criticism, shown by a refusal to even consider it as viable when it comes to a small piece of hardware used in our control systems.

While we are here I wish to point out there is a reason the tag "Pukey Profiles" met with quick acceptance. In general, the things really are trashy. More than one design flaw even though the flat-plate fuselage represents the biggest challenge. But a quick-and-dirty approach also hurts a great many PPs. As in, "It's just a profile; this piece of crap (choose a component, any component) is good enough."

This is totally understandable but the fact is that if one is intent on building a really decent model for CL Stunt all of the details are at least as important as in something like an Impact. And in some cases, fuselage design and fabrication for example, they are more important.

Nearly anyone can assemble a passable and adequate Impact fuselage. Only a few can achieve the same, or even similar, results with a Pukey Profile fuselage.

Dan

Dan Rutherford

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #122 on: November 26, 2012, 12:51:01 PM »
Just reviewed thread from beginning to end although my attention was focused on built-up structure(s).

For Tim and many others I used to have some faith in built-up horizontal stabilizers, elevators, and fuselages, mainly as I enjoy building with a nod to FF models.

No more! These parts simply are not, cannot be, stiff enough for our application. And built-up pieces aren't even enough lighter to be worth the trade-off. Brett gave it a good shot when discussing the stabilizer pictured upstream a bit and possibly his response needs review.

For the fuselage it's a similar deal, although in my case it was Derek who demonstrated the folly of my ways in years ago fabricating built-up fuselages with strips and bits of balsa for an outline and zig-zags of more balsa strips arranged in a manner which would indicate light-and-stiff.

But it doesn't. In between all those neato pieces the unsupported sheeting used to bring the fuselage together flexes whenever given the chance and does so to a remarkable degree.

If unsupported sheeting is the primary problem one merely needs to give it some support. Plain ol' white foam as used in cutting wing cores helps some. Same white foam in a higher density would no doubt work better. But they both are a little shifty in actual use, primarily due to narrow width of fuselage.

Best profile fuselage I have ever built used SpyderFoam as the core. This stuff has a grain to it like wood and so it can be cut to orient the grain from one fuselage side to the other. It's easy to work with, as light as most white foams.

There aren't many tricks to a foam-core fuselage although Derek suggested that gaps between balsa structure and foam be limited to thickness of the sheeting to be used. Turns out this is a factor in stiffness, making those huge gaps in a built-up-and-skinned fuselage all the more daunting.

Finally, I used balsa inserts positioned so that when wing and stab cutouts were made there was left a strip of balsa about 3/8" wide around both wing and stabilizer. This on a 500-inch version of the Wimpact series which also uses a conventional foam wing. And a foam-cored stab, sheeted with 1/32" 10- to 12-pound balsa.

Dan

Dan Rutherford

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #123 on: November 26, 2012, 12:56:37 PM »
Dan:

I really would like your views on just how much I'm giving up by not having the horns centered in the (insert noun here -- cross-bar?  tie rod?  thingy?).  I get the fact that you feel that there'll be a difference in stiffness from the bellcrank to each flap -- but, how much difference do you see in practice?  And if I do go to fix that, are you suggesting a monstrously wide tie bar that goes into the flaps (and elevator) off center?
AMA 64232

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #124 on: November 26, 2012, 03:51:39 PM »
How did we ever get a plane to fly with the old Veco horns, that is a profile type plane?   With the speed the profile stunters fly at, I think the standard horn with the arm moved over to clear the fuselage is adequate.   Just have to drill the horn arm holes in a different place.   And with the cloth hinges it didn't matter where the arm was.  This is just for all round stunt/sport flying.   Not the high zoot stunter some people have.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #125 on: November 27, 2012, 12:21:29 PM »
Tim, not to criticize, but... if you had looked a little more closely at said "KISS" you would have noticed bushings to support the horns

A rescue, a rescue!

I learned this technique from the ARRL Handbook, as a way of making heat sinks for transistors, and only thought of applying it to elevator/flap horns last night.  So I dunno how much it's used for CLPA.  But I just tried it here, and it seems to make a dandy bushing for a horn.  Not only can I put it on after the fact (whew!), but I get a tab of whatever dimensions I want to stick into a hinge slot for even more strength.

The order of operations is to cut out a blank, wrap it around the horn into a 'U', then (here's the trick, as far as I can tell) clamp it in a vise with sharp-edged jaws, just above the centerline of the wire.  This will make the vise tend to pull the sheet down around the wire as it closes the bushing.  Then hold the bushing down while tightening the vise.  When you're done, you should have a nice bushing.

I'm not sure about using tin can for the bushing material -- but all my brass stock is either really thin or really thick, so I had to either improvise or go visit the LHS.

Hey!  I'm actually making progress again!  I probably won't get it done in time for the new year's flying at Delta Park, but I might have it done by the Tune Up.
AMA 64232

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #126 on: November 28, 2012, 05:49:10 AM »
I have tried that after the flaps/elevators were hinged.   Could not get it to work.  I just put a peice of plywood or use Kevlar thread to hold the horns in place. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #127 on: November 28, 2012, 11:16:11 AM »
The order of operations is to cut out a blank, wrap it around the horn into a 'U', then (here's the trick, as far as I can tell) clamp it in a vise with sharp-edged jaws, just above the centerline of the wire.  This will make the vise tend to pull the sheet down around the wire as it closes the bushing.  Then hold the bushing down while tightening the vise.  When you're done, you should have a nice bushing.

That's basically how many of us fabricate such a part. The difference is that we are forming a clip which in turn holds a brass bushing in place. What you are doing might work even though I wouldn't tolerate such a lash-up even in a Pukey Profile.

Dan
Dan Rutherford

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #128 on: November 28, 2012, 12:27:05 PM »
Dan:

I really would like your views on just how much I'm giving up by not having the horns centered in the (insert noun here -- cross-bar?  tie rod?  thingy?).  I get the fact that you feel that there'll be a difference in stiffness from the bellcrank to each flap -- but, how much difference do you see in practice?  And if I do go to fix that, are you suggesting a monstrously wide tie bar that goes into the flaps (and elevator) off center?

The span of 3/32" wire joiner on W500 is about 2 1/4 inches as is span of joiner on elevator. Narrower parts would probably have been preferred but with them being fabricated by Derek in the Santa Barbara area, me in the NW, we both allowed for some leeway with these parts. If these pieces were viewed as "monstrous" they would not have been used.

Also of note is that flap and elevator horns bushed both left and right of upright. Right bushings centered in fuselage, left units hanging out in the breeze.

As to your central question: I do not know how much difference left and right is seen in practice. But that's the whole point: Not seeing any difference at all, no possibility of same in a rather critical part of control system.

Instead, let's look at what nearly all of us do know.

We know forces on CL Stunt control systems quite a lot higher than would seem to be the case (thanks again, Ted, for pointing this out so many years ago!) from merely looking at a fairly lightly-loaded, relatively small, certainly slow-flying model aircraft.

If this were not the case all of us would happily be fitting Du-Bro Kwik-links to our linkage when this is known to be the Kiss of Death for any CL Stunt model. Note that larger, heavier, faster RC ARFs get away with even cheesy D-B knock-offs with acceptable reliability.

We know that based upon what works in an RC Pattern model our use of 1/8-inch joiners for flap horns seems silly. I envision an accomplished Pattern flier (not you-know-who, maybe someone like Chip Hyde) being taken on a tour of an Impact, something I have actually done. Universal reaction to such hardware is one of disbelief.

We know that "tweaking" flap horns to get our wings level to the lines is a simple matter of using nothing more than finger pressure to net rather big changes, meaning mild pressure gets the job done. I think this is what one could call a clue...

We know that joiner material from coat hanger wire won't work. Not stiff enough.

We know that if we mock-up a flap horn installation that is fitted with two vertical pieces, one centered and one off to the left end, force applied to the centered vertical will certainly result in equal forces (or very nearly so remembering joiner has been heated during assembly) applied to each end of joiner. In our case that portion of the joiner which drives the flaps. Can't say the same thing when applying force to vertical on the left; there simply must be a difference from one end to the other of what is essentially a torsion bar.

Ah, but how much? We don't care to know, nor ought there to be much value in knowing, because...

We do know that with the vertical centered on flap and elevator joiners the best shot at equal flap/elevator movement has been incorporated into the linkage.

And so when out at the field, trying to bitch-slap the thing into trim, seeing a wee bit of roll in maneuvers, the last thing which potentially needs addressing--and is also one of the most difficult to fix--is differential drive to movable control surfaces.

So proceed as you see best, but with existing horns in need of proper bushings anyway the choice is fairly obvious from here.

Dan
Dan Rutherford

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #129 on: November 28, 2012, 05:43:13 PM »
Thanks for the insight, Dan.  I hadn't thought it through - you have some excellent points, presented in your tactful way.  I'll try to follow through on my next builds.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #130 on: November 28, 2012, 06:13:39 PM »
Better yet, we can do some actual calculations.  All we need to know is differential line tension.  I shoulda showed you my test rig, but we were talking vegetables on your last visit.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #131 on: November 28, 2012, 06:27:01 PM »
Tim, I suggest building a Faraday cage around your shop to block out the Danny Dirt mind-manipulating waves from getting in there.  Otherwise he will send you over the edge on this build. n~
Steve

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #132 on: November 28, 2012, 07:16:35 PM »
Steve:  I'm finding that a tinfoil hat works pretty well, but I could just be making things worse: http://berkeley.intel-research.net/arahimi/helmet/.
AMA 64232

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #133 on: November 28, 2012, 08:03:18 PM »
Steve:  I'm finding that a tinfoil hat works pretty well, but I could just be making things worse: http://berkeley.intel-research.net/arahimi/helmet/.

I wonder if Brett is one of the co-authors of that study. LL~
Steve

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #134 on: November 28, 2012, 08:57:08 PM »
Tim...Don't forget the zerk fittings!  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ Steve

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #135 on: November 28, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
This thread is making crazy. Murderous. Serial murderous. It's a TWISTER! Dammit.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #136 on: November 28, 2012, 09:32:18 PM »
This thread is making crazy. Murderous. Serial murderous. It's a TWISTER! Dammit.

It's an over-analyzed Twister, that's for sure.
AMA 64232

Joe Just

« Reply #137 on: November 29, 2012, 09:46:58 AM »
DATELINE May 30th 2015.
In a remarkable incident today at the NW Regionals Tim Wescott flew his oft reported on "Twister".  After telling this reporter that the plane flew fairly well for its first time in the air he was not pleased and noted that he was going to "try another approach". He also went on record  to explain that the Twister had  just been finished the day before the contest. The long delayed finishing of the plane was a result of numerous rebuilds, particularly the final painting which was started last Fall.  It appears that Mr. Wescott could not find the proper molecular pattern of the paint he wished to use and had spent many hours searching through Doctoral theses trying to find an answer.  As he was about to leave the field this reporter asked if he was having any fun.  He did not answer the question.

(All in fun Tim)
Joe

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #138 on: November 29, 2012, 11:23:48 AM »
Joe:

Hey, progress is being made.  And in spite of pressure from outside, I'm not going back to revise much unless I think it's really wrong.  I expect that I'll be flying it at the Regionals on May 25, 2013, or I'll have a report on the crash.

Here's the control rod from the flap horn to elevator, with rod ends that are Hand Machined from Solid Billet Aluminum.  Again, if this were 1985, and the plane a street rod, it would be insufferably cool.  (If it were 2000 and a street rod I'd have to paint it with black or gray primer, with red-oxide primer flames, to be cool.  And if I happened to be cursed with perfectly straight, solid sheet metal, I'd have to put in some dents and maybe some simulated rust-out.  I'm not sure what's cool today, but I'm sure it's not going to tempt me to build any street rods).

((Come to think of it, I wonder how many appearance points you'd get with a carefully "rat-rodded" CLPA ship -- the key, after all, to building a rat rod isn't to throw a car together for as little money as possible and go have fun with it.  The key is to make it look like you did that from ten feet away, while making it clear on close inspection by the "in" crowd that it was built in a pro shop after they received boatloads of money.))
AMA 64232

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #139 on: November 29, 2012, 11:28:43 AM »
Dirtmobile #2 was a rat rod in every way. Acceptance and appreciation was mixed, to say the least. One of my best-flying ARF Flite Streaks.

Dan
Dan Rutherford

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #140 on: November 29, 2012, 11:41:16 AM »

Yes, and while I understand the sentiment, wouldn't discourage anyone from holding to this view, it is also this sort of thinking that makes "Pukey Profile" an apt description of so many profiles.

There are other ways to approach building a profile which flies quite well and none of these are difficult in any way although more time is of course involved.

With two Wimpacts and now the W500, Derek's Wimpact, he and I have proven this to our satisfaction and it might be time to remind some of you that none other than Brett Buck agrees. (Brett is the only person other than myself to fly my second Wimpact and it ought be self-evident why he was enlisted to do so.)

Dan
Dan Rutherford

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #141 on: November 29, 2012, 11:45:04 AM »
Joe:

And in spite of pressure from outside, I'm not going back to revise much...

Got it: "pressure" from outside. That's good to know and I will be sure to keep it in mind.

Dan
Dan Rutherford

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #142 on: November 29, 2012, 11:49:14 AM »
I'm not sure what's cool today...

Jive Combat Team Consulting Services makes a lot of money helping people with this issue.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #143 on: November 29, 2012, 11:57:15 AM »
Jive Combat Team Consulting Services makes a lot of money helping people with this issue.

LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #144 on: November 29, 2012, 12:46:08 PM »
With two Wimpacts and now the W500, Derek's Wimpact, he and I have proven this to our satisfaction and it might be time to remind some of you that none other than Brett Buck agrees. (Brett is the only person other than myself to fly my second Wimpact and it ought be self-evident why he was enlisted to do so.)

Is there an article on the Wimpact published somewhere?  Or posted on the web?  "How to build the ultimate profile" maybe?
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #145 on: November 29, 2012, 12:47:05 PM »
Being a tightwad, I guess I'll just have to remain Seriously Uncool.
AMA 64232

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #146 on: November 29, 2012, 12:50:50 PM »
...Seriously Uncool.

That's perfectly adequate for most engineering purposes.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #147 on: November 29, 2012, 01:47:28 PM »
Got it: "pressure" from outside. That's good to know and I will be sure to keep it in mind.

I have my hat on.
AMA 64232

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #148 on: November 29, 2012, 06:10:40 PM »
And so when out at the field, trying to bitch-slap the thing into trim, seeing a wee bit of roll in maneuvers, the last thing which potentially needs addressing--and is also one of the most difficult to fix--is differential drive to movable control surfaces.   Dan

Why "the last thing"?
How about segmented inboard flap tips?  Segments can be made moveable or fixed.
Any videos of actual planes being bitch-slapped available?

Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #149 on: November 30, 2012, 11:17:02 AM »
Why "the last thing"?
How about segmented inboard flap tips?  Segments can be made moveable or fixed.
Any videos of actual planes being bitch-slapped available?

Yes. But only by special request. We have anti-porno rules which must be respected.

Dan
Dan Rutherford

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here