News:

• June 19, 2024, 11:49:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fancherized Twister Build  (Read 57294 times)

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Fancherized Twister Build
« Reply #200 on: March 04, 2013, 04:46:12 PM »
dude, if you are talking about Portland,, heck thats a month and a half away,, I plan on making it there with my  new bird,, ( which I have not even started on yet!)
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #201 on: March 04, 2013, 05:24:00 PM »
I will probably show up with my profile. I doubt anything else will be done or even near done.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #202 on: March 04, 2013, 05:40:35 PM »
I keep thinking the Tune Up is the first weekend in April, not the 3rd.

That's good.  That gives me a month to work on trimming between the paint drying and the contest.  I think I trim about as quickly as I build.  But it's better that I figure this out now, after driving myself to get the last bit of paint on.  If I'd figured it out earlier then I would have slacked off.

You catalyzed paint people get to start your projects so late.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #203 on: March 05, 2013, 11:59:26 AM »
Playing with the lettering sizes.  I realized that I can't do this right without getting the flaps, and their visual weight, on the plane.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #204 on: March 05, 2013, 12:28:20 PM »
It's great to see "some" progress, Tim.  I was beginning to think that at my age I may never get to hear the flight reports...................

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Justin Benham

• New Pilot
« Reply #205 on: March 05, 2013, 01:18:17 PM »
Great thread! I've been talking about building one of these for over 6 months and this info is invaluable. I read the thread and opened the box this morning. I have the fuselage extended and the 1/2" nose "tripler" mostly roughed out. I'm using 4-40 inserts for the engine mounts and it's my first time not using blind nuts. Sure hope it works out! I have my choice of OS 35S, OS 40FP or OS 40LA (blue) to power it. Any thoughts?
AMA 491035

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #206 on: March 05, 2013, 01:20:33 PM »
It's great to see "some" progress, Tim.  I was beginning to think that at my age I may never get to hear the flight reports...................

Me too, Bill.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #207 on: March 05, 2013, 01:31:19 PM »
Great thread! I've been talking about building one of these for over 6 months and this info is invaluable. I read the thread and opened the box this morning. I have the fuselage extended and the 1/2" nose "tripler" mostly roughed out. I'm using 4-40 inserts for the engine mounts and it's my first time not using blind nuts. Sure hope it works out! I have my choice of OS 35S, OS 40FP or OS 40LA (blue) to power it. Any thoughts?

Read this thread, it's all the answers to my question "what should I use in a Fancherized Twister": http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=26808.0.  The advise is contradictory, so you will have to decide on your own.  The OS 35S is a lot less powerful per cubic inch than either a 40FP or a 40LA (or a 25LA, for that matter, which is suggested in the thread I mention by people who I know to build light and fly well).

I have a Tower 40 and a Magnum 36, both seem to have more than enough power for that sized plane, without tending to run away too much.

At one point I naively thought that a 40LA was just a smaller 46LA.  When I expressed this thought here I heard Many Bad Things about the it tending to run away.  So -- no personal experience, but it seems that it's finicky to useless until it's rebuilt.  OTOH, I've heard that a 46LA just works.  I dunno about the 40FP -- maybe someone with experience will say?

I want to try an OS 25LA in a plane this size.  Maybe if I built faster...
AMA 64232

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #208 on: March 05, 2013, 01:37:39 PM »
Tim,

The lettering size looks good! Are you going with red?

The "USA" are you putting "AMA" there or keeping the USA?

Stab?

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #209 on: March 05, 2013, 01:45:06 PM »
There's a stab around here someplace, I just haven't glued it in yet.

(I suppose that if I wanted to go for maximum "ahh" factor I would have primed and painted the stab center section, then glued it in with the wing and fillited it and all that stuff.  I just couldn't see doing the work when I was already feeling under the gun, and it is just a cruddy old profile that I'm probably going to crash).
AMA 64232

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #210 on: March 05, 2013, 01:57:36 PM »
Tim,

You're making me feel bad.  :'(

"Sister Jenny" looks like a fine model and I'm sure it will fly well. Profiles are great! CL started with profiles, didn't it?

BTW. My offer still stands on that PM.

Sister Jenny looks really good!!

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Justin Benham

• New Pilot
« Reply #211 on: March 05, 2013, 02:34:47 PM »
Tim, thanks so much for the referral to the engine post. Again, I learned a bunch.
AMA 491035

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #212 on: March 05, 2013, 02:37:39 PM »
personally, I would avoid the .40 LA,, though some people like them,,
the .46 LA is the prefered choice in my opinion,,

as to what you have, the 40Fp,, which one is it? newer or older? do you have a picture,, it does matter,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #213 on: March 05, 2013, 02:39:05 PM »
Tim,

You're making me feel bad.  :'(

"Sister Jenny" looks like a fine model and I'm sure it will fly well. Profiles are great! CL started with profiles, didn't it?

BTW. My offer still stands on that PM.

Sister Jenny looks really good!!

Charles
Charles,,
again a bit of research,,
Control line started with a full house full fuse cabin type airplane, it did not start with a profile,,

see Oba St Claire,, ( in Model aviation magazine commemorating his accomplishments)
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #214 on: March 05, 2013, 03:02:16 PM »
Charles,,
again a bit of research,,
Control line started with a full house full fuse cabin type airplane, it did not start with a profile,,

see Oba St Claire,, ( in Model aviation magazine commemorating his accomplishments)

Mark,

Thanks for that.

I actully asked it as a question, see the question "?"

"CL started with profiles, didn't it?"

Some of that stuff is important to know. Never know when one will have a conversation with an interested party.

Did you know Brodak is putting togher a model Museum?

Charles

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #215 on: March 05, 2013, 03:35:50 PM »
Mark,

Thanks for that.

I actully asked it as a question, see the question "?"

"CL started with profiles, didn't it?"

Some of that stuff is important to know. Never know when one will have a conversation with an interested party.

Did you know Brodak is putting togher a model Museum?

Charles

Yes Charles I knew Brodak is putting TOGETHER a modeling museum,, its been an ongoing project for several years.
as to your phrasing,, yes of course I saw that it was a question,, THATS WHY I ANSWERED IT,,, odd I thought thats what you did with questions?
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #216 on: March 06, 2013, 05:54:39 PM »
Stab in.  Measured every which way for center, square, and level with wings.  The tape wrapping up around the tips are to keep it level with the wings while the glue sets.

I managed to do a fairly tidy job of it.  I had neglected to silkspan and sand out the center section of the stab so that I could glue it in with the wing and do fillets.  Since I was feeling under the gun (and it is just a profile) I just 'coated it and glued it in.  But it's a moderately tidy glue job for all that.

Glue is epoxy with just enough microballoons to keep in in place.  This is just the second time I've done this, and I like how it works out.  I cut out the 'coat in the center section, got the thing mostly in and the elevator horn located, then slathered the bare wood with glue.  Then I slide the thing in, cleaned up the glue around the edge with rubbing alcohol, and cursed, bitched, and moaned for about 10 minutes as I measured, squared, tilted, found out that I'd moved it, centered again, squared again, etc.

That long not-rudder did make it easy to square up the stab -- I could measure back to the sharp end of the fuselage instead of forward to the wing/fuselage joint like I usually do.
AMA 64232

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #217 on: March 06, 2013, 06:24:28 PM »
Tim,

Well there ya go!

Do you know how long I waited for that stab to get placed?

Hey! I have an idea.

About that area around the stab and fuse. How about I send you some white and red vinyl and you can make farrings.

Stuff could go out in Tomorrow's mail.

Let me know.

Charles

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #218 on: March 06, 2013, 06:37:40 PM »
Tim,
looks pretty good there sir,, hope it survives till I get to see it this year,,  LL~

Honestly,, you are where I was a few years back,, soon you will be at that point where breaking planes is in the back of your mind,,, instead of the front,, I promise
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #219 on: March 06, 2013, 08:34:02 PM »
Tim,
looks pretty good there sir,, hope it survives till I get to see it this year,,  LL~

Honestly,, you are where I was a few years back,, soon you will be at that point where breaking planes is in the back of your mind,,, instead of the front,, I promise

Man, I hope so.  The last unforced crash I had in 2012 was at the Tune Up, when I pulverized my Skyray.  I was feeling pretty cocky in early January, then I crashed twice in as many weeks.  So I'm a bit deflated.
AMA 64232

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #220 on: March 06, 2013, 10:01:26 PM »
Man, I hope so.  The last unforced crash I had in 2012 was at the Tune Up, when I pulverized my Skyray.  I was feeling pretty cocky in early January, then I crashed twice in as many weeks.  So I'm a bit deflated.
yeah, I had a span of two years where I broke at least one airplane at every contest,, only crashed once during that time away from a contest,, ok, twice thinking about it
your doing fine,, and this twister build and the skyrays, are the best thing you can do to get past it,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #221 on: March 08, 2013, 11:47:38 PM »
Hinged!  I used the method that Steve Helmick outlines here http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=29880.0, except I was going on memory for the wings and forgot the part about how yes, with CA you still need to put Vaseline on the hinges.  Thankfully, I use one long pin per surface, between that and solvent I was able to de-goo the flap hinges.  Then I re-read Steve's post, smacked my forehead soundly, and the tail went as smooth as silk.

Wheeled, too!  The closeup shows my currently preferred wheel attach method.  You get some 5/32" tubing (which slips over the 1/8" music wire), drill a hole in the end, cut the wire a bit short of the end of the wheel, solder it all up with a washer, and now you can take wheels off if you want, with no unsightly wheel collars.

Yes, I can solder on washers -- I just don't like it.

And, finally, a pic of the almost-completed plane.  Alas, I have one Tower 40 and two airframes that accept it.  I'm probably going to just swap the engine around in the short term, and see if I stumble on one for cheap in the longer term.
AMA 64232

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #222 on: March 09, 2013, 09:18:16 AM »
Tim,

Nice and great method!

Got a photo of the other side of the wheel?

Thanks,

Charles

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #223 on: March 09, 2013, 10:16:25 AM »
Interesting approach. At least take offs and landing will be less exciting.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #224 on: March 09, 2013, 05:57:08 PM »
Randy:  You mean the trike gear?  I hope so.  Dirty Dan thinks I'm going to be disappointed.  He may be right -- but if I'm gonna waste time on a trike gear plane, better now than when I'm flying Advanced or Expert, no?

Charles:  Here's a pic of the axle sans wheel.
AMA 64232

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #225 on: March 09, 2013, 06:14:20 PM »
Tim that is one cool looking airplane!  And the axle/keepers is an idea that one sees then smacks their forehead and says "Now why didn't I think od that!"  H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #226 on: March 09, 2013, 07:26:36 PM »
Glenn:  I can take credit for neither of those, though.  The axle/retainer idea came from a fellow Northwest Fireballs member after I complained about not being able to figure out how to retain wheels without solder or ugliness; the aesthetics of the plane are pulled directly off of Bob Hunt's 1976 Nats-winning Genesis.

All I did was take Bob's Genesis fuse profile, mate it to a Fancherized Twister wing and tail, and make it trike gear.
AMA 64232

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #227 on: March 09, 2013, 07:47:01 PM »
Tim,

WOW! Neat/clean soldering. Kudos!!

I like it and may possibly steal the idea.

Your model looks really good!

Thanks again.

Charles

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #228 on: March 09, 2013, 08:33:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply and I totally forgot to tell you that I am totally digging on the Genesis idea. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #229 on: March 09, 2013, 09:57:32 PM »
Randy:  You mean the trike gear?  I hope so.  Dirty Dan thinks I'm going to be disappointed.  He may be right -- but if I'm gonna waste time on a trike gear plane, better now than when I'm flying Advanced or Expert, no?

Hi Tim;
    Tricycle gear won't be a waste of time. Once you get used to the way the model flies and handles when the engine quits, you'll have a slight advantage to sticking the landing and eliminating bouncing. The mains just need to be in the correct location in relation to the balance point so lift off is predictable. The Jecto Shark .45 has been my main airplane for both PAMPA and classic for a lot of years and I kind of prefer three wheel gear now. The best compliment I ever got was from Bill Zimmer at VSC the year I first flew my first Shark ('92,94?).  I was about in the middle of the flight order,Bill was one of the judges, and I grooved a near text book take off, and completed the flight with an almost as good landing. I don't remember what the rest of the flight was like, but as I was carrying the airplane off the circle and walked by him, and he said, "way to go McEntee, we've been looking for a take off and landing like that all day."  If you don't know or have never met Bill Zimmer, he was a top judge for a lot of years, and pretty much held fast to the rule book. If you got a good score from Bill, that was what you flew that day and could take it to the bank, and the comment still means a lot to me. Three wheels might not get you 35 point or higher take offs and landings every time, but it can help you get some consistency while you are working on the rest of the pattern, and the rest of the details for take offs and landings.
    Nice looking model. The answer to the power plant question is simple. If the initial test flights go well, and the model is close to being in trim, put your best engine in it, what ever it is.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 03:04:45 PM by Bill Little »
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #230 on: March 12, 2013, 03:32:28 AM »
I like that!!!!
When it has the engine/spinner on it'll look even cooler!!
Don't forget to make that video....

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #231 on: March 14, 2013, 03:25:21 PM »
I built a tank, uniflow, from a peach can (some fruit and juice cans are galvanized on the inside; with the tin on the outside it makes for very easy soldering).  It's a bit ugly because of the metal used -- real tin plate would have come out nicer, because the sheets would have started out flat.

This is my first metal tank in a while; I've been using Hayes tanks with my FP-20 and LA-25 after having trouble with my hand-built tanks flowing fuel correctly.  The Tower 40 that's on this plane speeds up toward the end of the run and it's not just heat, and I'd like to improve on that.  So I'll see if a uniflow tank will work, and hold out through a whole flight.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #232 on: March 14, 2013, 03:30:44 PM »
Here's the tank mounted on the plane -- just some tubing and some tip weight, and it's ready to go!

The last time I made a screw-on tank I neglected to fuel-proof the screw holes, and I just let the tank slide around on the paint.  The result was scratched-up paint that's showing signs of fuel ingress (the primer coat on this plane is Minwax Polycrylic, which is not fuel proof).  So I made pads for the tank feet from the top of a yogurt container, then I dipped each screw in 5-minute epoxy and screwed it in.  This should result in a nice tight fit to the screw, and a fuel-proof hole.

And I can fly it this weekend!!
AMA 64232

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #233 on: March 14, 2013, 03:40:02 PM »
Looking good Tim. As an alternative to the epoxy in the hole method consider thin CA in the hole. Run the screw in and out a few times then remove. Drop some thin CA in the hole and let it sink in. It will harden the thread pattern you just made in the wood as well as fuel-proofing the hole. Just another way of doin' things.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #234 on: March 14, 2013, 04:48:35 PM »
Also, if you want some cheap tin for making tanks, go to your local autobody shop and ask for a few empty thinner tins.  They work great.  Just make sure you (do this outside!) take the caps off and turn them upside down for a few days to make sure the thinner is gone as well as the vapours. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #235 on: March 14, 2013, 10:47:52 PM »
I have plenty of empty thinner cans. And they are lighter than soup cans.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Justin Benham

• New Pilot
« Reply #236 on: March 14, 2013, 11:41:40 PM »
OK, maybe I'm a little slow, but aren't the tanks I get from Brodak good enough? I applaud anyone who can cut bend and solder a tank, but I'm a newbie werkin on my first kitbash Twister. I didn't like the initial "noodle shaped" trailing edge before I steamed it straight and engine selection would have been rough before I read a hint to a different thread for that here, but I'm just trying to get a grip on a plane that I can build and enter at the beginner level...so would a 4 oz Brodak uniflow work with a OS 40.LA with the rear needle valve? BTW, I'm a 57 YO returning to the fold, so have patience?
AMA 491035

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #237 on: March 15, 2013, 02:05:04 AM »
  Hi Justin;
    Yes, that Brodak tank and engine will work just fine to get you started. If the needle settings get to be finicky with the LA.40, try changing out the O-ring on the needle. They tend to leak air. The typical up grade is to replace the plastic back plate (if it has one) with a metal back plate, and install a through the venturi needle valve assembly in place of the rear needle set up. To me, there is nothing wrong with the rear needle concept, and the needle valve assembly they used on the FP series when that first started worked quite well, but OS keeps going back to that O-ring sealed needle for some reason. Just keep changing them until you find one that seals better. Search around the vender corner for Randy Smith, Jim Lee, and several other venders that sell after market needle valves and venturis. Pick up an extra head shim or two, Glow devil R/C Long or Thunderbolt or other known hot glow plug, some 11-4 props ( I like the APC 11.5-4) and some fuel that is 5 to 10% nitro and at least 18% total oil that you can add castor oil to to get to around 22% total oil. Types of fuel and availability varies in different parts of the country, and if you can only get typical R/C fuel like Morgen's Omega, get that and some castor oil to add to it. Around 4 ounces to a gallon of fuel gets you in the ball park. You'll probably going to use muffler pressure also. Do a search on the list here and in the engine section on the LA.40 and you'll find lots of variations on the set up, but for beginner, this should get you going with some consistency. Since you are what I like to call a "retread" you'll find out through research and experience that some things haven't changed much, but some things have. Tanks are one of those things that you can stay up late into the night and drink a lot of beer talking and arguing about, but experience is the best teacher. Once you get a good foot hold back into the hobby, making your own tanks can be a quite beneficial skill to have. Fred Krueger, up in the Chicago area, has a design for a profile tank that is easy to make, and I think works better and more consistent than off the shelf tanks. it's a taller, but lower profile uniflow/chicken hopper style tank, and a search here may turn up a drawing, or maybe some one can send you a file for one. The Twister will serve you well, and I advise sticking with it and refining your building and trimming techniques with one type of airplane. If this number one airplane comes out nice and flies well, start in on number two as soon as possible and try to duplicate it, and add any other little changes you might decide on. You can make a Twister look different each time you build one, but by keeping the same basic design will make each new model fly like the last one did.
   Well, that's more than the short answer you were probably looking for, but I tend to do that at this hour of the night! Just watch the little details, and the big details tend to take care of themselves.
   Good Luck and Have Fun,
    Dan McEntee
  (I'm 57 years old also, just never quit since I was 12 years old!)
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Justin Benham

• New Pilot
« Reply #238 on: March 15, 2013, 06:54:05 AM »
Thanks for the info, Dan! I actually got back into C/L a few years back for awhile when one of the "Circle Burners" near Chicago sold me a used Ringmaster for $5 that I flew a few times with a Fox .35! Now I'm back with a vengeance (and more time, planes and more accepting mate).
AMA 491035

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #239 on: March 15, 2013, 08:53:42 AM »
OK, maybe I'm a little slow, but aren't the tanks I get from Brodak good enough?

Justin, I just like building my own tanks.  A Brodak tank should be plenty good enough, and better looking to boot.

Do make sure that you have enough room between the wing LE and the engine -- the Brodak tank that pops up first in their search is four inches long, which is almost exactly the measurement between the rear of the cylinder and the wing LE.  The tank I made was 3-1/2 inches long, and when I actually set it in place and thought about feet I wished it were 3-1/4.  Brodak has tanks that should fit, if you dig a bit.

While you're thinking about fit, make sure that the tubes coming out of the tank will fit, too.

And finally, the motor run I get from that Tower 40 with a Hayes 4 ounce plastic tank is acceptable, I just want to try a uniflow to see if I can do better.
AMA 64232

Offline Justin Benham

• New Pilot
« Reply #240 on: March 15, 2013, 09:07:02 AM »
Tim, your plane looks great and really got me going on my own build. I can't wait to read the flight reports!
AMA 491035

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #241 on: March 15, 2013, 09:19:19 AM »
Tim, your tank looks great and I think the corogations give it character.    Setting up uni-flo tanks is not that big of a black art.  You have to really set the needle by how the engine behaves in the air.   Also setting up the tubes on a hard tank you have to remember to have the vent ahead of the pick up in the tank.   I set mine at about 1/4 to 3/8 inch.   When set up right the tank will tell you when to level off as the last three or four laps on mine the engine leans out.

Hope I got this clear enough as my brain runs faster than my fingers and the key board.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #242 on: March 15, 2013, 09:30:18 AM »
I have my tank set up the way you describe, Doc.  In case anyone is wondering, if you get the vent too close to the pick-up then you pick up the bubbles from the vent and get a terrible engine run.  Getting the feed mixed up with the vent is even worse.

With a Hayes tank I can get fairly consistent lap times from one end of the run to the other, but the engine run goes from mostly 4-stroke to mostly 2-stroke over the course of the flight.  Setting the needle valve is fairly critical.  I'm hoping that I can get a dead-steady run with the uniflow, which should give me much more leeway on the needle.
AMA 64232

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #243 on: March 15, 2013, 12:56:52 PM »
Tim
also keep in mind that the oil content will affect the run potentially towards the end,, on my FP 40s,, I ended up adding a splash of castor , a couple ounces, to a gallon of 10/22 to get it to be happy after mid point in the pattern,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #244 on: March 15, 2013, 01:01:59 PM »
Tim
also keep in mind that the oil content will affect the run potentially towards the end,, on my FP 40s,, I ended up adding a splash of castor , a couple ounces, to a gallon of 10/22 to get it to be happy after mid point in the pattern,,

I'm using fuel that's 20% castor, and about 3% synthetic.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #245 on: March 16, 2013, 07:20:24 PM »
Graphics on!  These are from a member of my local RC club who has a vinyl cutter.  I emailed him a drawing, then I went over today and we made labels.

So, it's all done but the trimming.  Hopefully that won't take too long, although with spring weather it's hard to know for sure.

I had planned on the maiden flight for today, but we got rained out -- maybe Monday.
AMA 64232

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #246 on: March 16, 2013, 07:40:51 PM »
On the question of OTS legal profiles, there are not very many.  The Sterling Mustang and Yak, the Flying Clown and a similar one that I can't recall the name of.  The Frank Ehling Easy has a built up fuselage, too thick for modern definition.  There was the Schulman Invader, and perhaps a Navion. There was a British airplane called the Panther.  Both the Invader and the Panther have cheek cowls and outboard faring which doesn't look right for a profile.  The Trixy profiles just came to mind.  Actually more profiles that I had thought there were.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #247 on: March 17, 2013, 08:06:20 AM »
Tim, the graphics look great and really sets that plane apart from the rest. #^ #^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #248 on: March 18, 2013, 02:30:47 PM »
It flies!  It's still in one piece!  There was some question about this latter in the second half of the reverse wingover of flight #3 -- flight #2 was way too lean, and I richened it up way to much for flight #3 expecting it to lean out after the first couple of laps, which it never did.  It did speed up through the first half of the reverse wingover, but on the second half it went slack on the lines to the accompaniment of some short words and fast backpedaling (and I flew the rest of the flight level).

I'm still learning the right way to adjust this tank/engine combination, but I'm getting there.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #249 on: March 18, 2013, 02:31:52 PM »
On the question of OTS legal profiles, there are not very many.  The Sterling Mustang and Yak, the Flying Clown and a similar one that I can't recall the name of.  The Frank Ehling Easy has a built up fuselage, too thick for modern definition.  There was the Schulman Invader, and perhaps a Navion. There was a British airplane called the Panther.  Both the Invader and the Panther have cheek cowls and outboard faring which doesn't look right for a profile.  The Trixy profiles just came to mind.  Actually more profiles that I had thought there were.

And don't forget the Ringmaster.

So, what thread did you think you were responding to?
AMA 64232

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here