Building Tips and technical articles. > Building techniques

Fancherized Twister Build Chronicle for Jr. NATs

(1/16) > >>

Brendan Eberenz:
My son, Angstrom (age 11), and I (Brendan) are going to build a Fancherized Twister. I've built multiple foam wing trainer planes and one kit (a Lightning Streak). I've also done a lot of repairs on planes we have crashed as we try to get up to speed on Stunt. I'm a novice builder, at best, but it's time to get my hands dirty and see if we can crank out a Fancherized Twister. Angstrom has entered the Beginner competition at the NATs the last couple of years and we are hopeful that this plane can be his entry for the Junior event. That event has a BOM component, so this is essentially Angstrom's build. The other thing to keep in mind is that we want to keep the plane within expectations for a Nostalgia entry. Angstrom has some other planes he will use for other events, but we would like to have this Twister available for events  (after NATs) where Nostalgia is an option.

I have read some of the Fancherized building threads and have some sense of what to do, but we don't have a local veteran builder looking over our shoulder. That's why I want to start this thread chronicling our build and giving people an opportunity to weigh in (hopefully before we screw something up). I will provide as many pictures as I can and try to keep people updated as we progress or gameplan. I also regularly attend the Monday/Friday online hangout sessions. Angstrom and I plan to try to attend the Friday calls for on the spot help and advice from those in attendance.

Let me update you on where we are going into the build tomorrow night...

I have attached a picture of what we got lined up. We have a Brodak Wing jig. It is short for the whole Twister wing, so we are prepared to build a half at a time and then jig the middles halves together to finalize it. Angstrom spent tonight putting the spars together and lightly sanding them to equal size and shape. He also used a drill press to create 5/16 holes for the jig rods. Should be ready to mount on the rod and glue tommorrow night. In the picture I also include some pieces from a wooden jig assembly I recently bought. Without knowing for sure, I assume the slotted rectangles go on the bottom of the ribs to keep them square with the table as you go to glue. Let me know if there are other ways the laser cut jig assembly pieces might help me. Finally, in case you couldn't tell, I have a piece of glass from an old coffee table over the plans. Figure that will keep the plans nice but visable. For anyone on the call tomorrow night, feel free to remind me to rub down the rods with soap to prevent accidentally glueing the rods to the ribs.

To be continued...

john e. holliday:
Tell him and yourself to take it slow and double check everything.  I still have one hanging in the shop that was built when Ted first did the article.   Flies much better than I do.  LA 40 for power. H^^ 

Craig Beswick:
If you are going to build on that glass please check that it is flat. It doesn't have to be level, better if it is but doesn't have to be. But it does need to be flat, left to right, front to back and diagonal.

You need a good quality straight edge.

Great project, good for you dad!!!

Best of luck
Craig

Ken Culbertson:
After a 30+ year layoff, I returned to Stunt.  On the recommendation of many here I built a Fancherized Twister as a practice plane.  Flew it about 5-10 flights a week for 2 years while I built my PA and Classic.   You cannot find a better work horse stunter.  Build it straight with a stiff fuselage and you can't go wrong.  What is so nice is that the kit is so easy to modify into whatever profile shape you want and it still has those great flight characteristics.  Take a lot of pictures, there are a lot of Twister alumni here eager to help.  You didn't mention power.  It is a great fit for electric and not too small for something like an LA46.  Please don't under power it.

Ken

Brendan Eberenz:

--- Quote from: Craig Beswick on January 27, 2022, 10:12:53 PM ---If you are going to build on that glass please check that it is flat. It doesn't have to be level, better if it is but doesn't have to be. But it does need to be flat, left to right, front to back and diagonal.

--- End quote ---

I will take a look. I assumed "flat," but it is worth checking for reassurance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version