News:

• May 02, 2024, 12:35:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Removing Iron on Covering for a Glue Joint  (Read 1696 times)

Offline John Craig

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Removing Iron on Covering for a Glue Joint
« on: August 11, 2014, 07:11:09 AM »
Finally! at the assembly stage of the CoreHouse RST (Rugged Stunt Trainer).  Phil's instructions suggested covering the Stab with a heat shrink material & removing it with a soldering iron in the area of the glue joint, Stab to Fuselage.  In the past I had always left the area uncovered or covered the Stab after it was glued.  If you try to cover & remove the covering with a blade you may weaken the wood.  Back in the dark days a friend lost a nice performing & good looking R/C ship when he did that.  Structural failure!  ~^

I have a 50 watt pencil iron with a pointed tip.  It could not have worked better.   :D  Melted a 1/16 or narrower line in the covering & the heat shrink lifted right up.  It is now my way of removing small areas of heat shrink.  #^
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 06:36:09 PM by John Craig »

Offline Chris Belcher

• Commander
Re: Removing Iron on Covering for a Glue Joint
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 11:36:35 AM »
I learned this trick on an ARF Nobler. It does work great. When I read it in the instruction book I was skeptical but be damned if it deosn't work and way better than trying to be so careful not to get in to the wood with the knife...in fact that's probably impossible...

James_Mynes

Re: Removing Iron on Covering for a Glue Joint
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 07:55:52 AM »
Good tip! And timely! I'm about to cover the wing of my Magician, after which it gets installed in the profile fuselage. I've always hated cutting the Monocote away with a knife.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here