News:

• September 20, 2024, 07:33:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pizzaz with sliced ribs  (Read 460 times)

Offline Mike Quinn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Pizzaz with sliced ribs
« on: September 14, 2024, 02:58:07 PM »
Hello

Started building a Pizzaz to replace the ‘hand me down 3rd hand’ one I acquired.  The original plan has a foam wing and slightly more taper but I’m following the basic layout of the one I had.

Not built a full depth, sliced rib model before so feel free to comment.  OS 46LA powered. 

Cheers

Mike

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
Re: Pizzaz with sliced ribs
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2024, 06:56:26 PM »
Nice sturdy push rod you got there. Looks like the bellcrank travel is limited.

Offline Mike Quinn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2024, 11:39:02 PM »
Hi

Yeah, I robbed some of the parts from the original.  The pushrod is an arrow shaft.  Lighter than it looks 😀.  The travel is way more than it will need.  Probably 60 degrees or more.  Just looks tight in photo.

Lol, had more photos but lost the will to live trying to add them due to size restrictions,

Will have another look later.

I’ll put some weights as I go as not sure if I’m going too heavy here or there.  I’m making this one out of largely ‘odds and sods’ balsa … some of which came from the ‘waste’ off a 1/5 Slingsbury Petrel RC laser cut glider kit as you can see from the STB TE piece.  Balsa is too expensive to waste these days 😕

Cheers

PS this is what the finished model looks like before the ground got in the way.  Not pretty but good enough for learning on.  Had been messing with 2K base/clear finishing on Oracover film.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2024, 12:08:52 AM by Mike Quinn »

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2024, 12:08:01 AM »
Interesting. The wing construction pictured seems to be a hybrid of Detroiter and Egg Crate. And the plans appear to show foam D-tube. Lots of variety and ideas here....

Offline Mike Quinn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2024, 12:15:00 AM »
Hi Dave.

It seemed pretty strong, the wing was probably salvageable after the crash but I decided to cut it up into pieces to see how the guy had put it together.  It will be sheeted on the LE so kind of a D box of sorts, with cap strips and some TE sheeting.

I’ve built many RC and Freeflight models but not too many CL models and only one 46 sized model so some of this is slightly unfamiliar territory.  Lol, I used to be able to predict how much one of my FF comp models would come out to within 10 or 15g but this is virgin territory so to speak.

And I suck at flying CL too 😂

Offline Mike Quinn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2024, 08:02:41 AM »
Hi

Basic structure done.  Flipped it over in the jig half way through.

Mike

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2024, 03:02:58 PM »
Looking good.   Nothing like good construction phoios. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2024, 03:20:22 PM »
Nice jig and building table.  They are necessary items for a straight wing.  Good work there.

I have gone to fully sheeted foam wings now.  I will take a bit of weight penalty since I can get a wing done in far less time, and less worry about it coming out straight. 

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2024, 03:30:23 PM »
From what I can see on those plans, the stab looks to be "flat" (no airfoil shape), with the leading edge simply rounded off.  I built planes with such stabs and they flew well enough.  But when I went to giving the stab some airfoil, tracking was much better.  The plane was more stable around neutral, and corners were more precise.  Less bounce (overshooting).  Anyone else with the same experience regarding airfoiled stabs?

None of that might matter to you but it is something to consider if you have not gone that far in construction yet.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2024, 06:00:53 PM »
From what I can see on those plans, the stab looks to be "flat" (no airfoil shape), with the leading edge simply rounded off.  I built planes with such stabs and they flew well enough.  But when I went to giving the stab some airfoil, tracking was much better.  The plane was more stable around neutral, and corners were more precise.  Less bounce (overshooting).  Anyone else with the same experience regarding airfoiled stabs?

None of that might matter to you but it is something to consider if you have not gone that far in construction yet.

With a sharp LE! I use a piece of .025 wire glued to the centerline then sand down to it.  IMHO airfoiled is best.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Tags: