Building Tips and technical articles. > Building techniques

Endgame IV Build

<< < (8/9) > >>

Ken Culbertson:
Controls tested and set aside till I get the wing installed.  The 5" bellcrank worked perfectly.  I have it set to give me full elevator with 1 3/4" of leadout travel which matches my other planes.  Flaps and Canard max out at 20 degrees, elevator at 35. All are adjustable.  Finished covering the stab and roughed in the recessed flap insert.  Normally it would be a 1/32" molded insert but I found that smoothie straws are the perfect size and lighter that the balsa. 

Ken

Don Jenkins:

--- Quote from: Ken Culbertson on April 15, 2024, 04:41:14 PM ---  Normally it would be a 1/32" molded insert but I found that smoothie straws are the perfect size and lighter that the balsa. 

Ken

--- End quote ---

...and much more colorful!  Nicely done.

Don

Ken Culbertson:
One more subassembly nearing ready for the fuselage.  The 5" bellcrank saves a complete full rib of shear web over the 4".  I will be able to run CF out to the Nacelles and not hit the controls.  I am using .3mm Carbon Fiber over the 1/16" balsa for the webbing.  The Geo-XL wing center section was not designed to handle the weight of the motors and wing gear so I am reinforcing it using a lot of thin CF.

Ken

Ken Culbertson:
 Finally got he wing framed.  Bellcrank and landing gear Monday.  Thought it was time to put it together for a test fit.  Pretty close, needs some work on the nacelles.  Right about now I am cursing Bob for getting me into this but seeing it together has rejuvenated me!

Ken Culbertson:
After reading a lot and listening to a lot of recommendations I have decided, and installed, a DPST switch to turn on both ESC's from one switch.  I got some telling me to wire both switches to on and just use the Arming Plug, powering one from the switch and leaving the other one open, to having a switch for both.  I liked the last one so it now has both ESC powered and the power lead on the 2nd BEC cut.  I don't like the idea of the arming plug powering up the ESCs.  I always insert it with the switches off.

Ken

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version