News:

• September 26, 2022, 04:09:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Endgame III Build  (Read 5006 times)

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Endgame III Build
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2022, 08:20:18 AM »
It's a prince of a wing.  Wonder who built it?  H^^

Ken

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! A prince couldn’t come up with the ideas in that wing
Matt Colan

Online Ken Culbertson

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2022, 08:34:25 AM »
Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! A prince couldn’t come up with the ideas in that wing
I do love to tinker!  FYI, I found the boost problem with Trifacta.  You were right, it was flat.

Ken 
AMA 15382
If it is not broke, don't fix it.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2022, 11:16:18 AM »
Slow progress.  I have boxed in the Canards and Monokoted them.  Stab is next then the wing gets fitted and installed.  Installed a Hatch Latch to supplement the small magnets and built a new Cam for the rudder.  One of our elder statesmen posted that the rudder should move on both outboard and inboard about the same amount.  I have always done that but not at differing rates.  The one I just made will give me 1/8" travel at the rudder TE but it will get there faster on an outside.  My next task, after the tail feathers is to design an adjustable fitting for the Canard.  Pitch is simple and already there with set screws.  I am after rate and I think I have an idea how to do it.  With the top deck on my only access will be through the bottom with an Allen driver.  Does CF take heat?  I may have to solder a washer next to the tube.  Maybe I should use JB Weld instead.   My current specifications call for 45 degrees on the elevator, 25 degrees on the flaps and 10 degrees on the Canard at full deflection with logarithmic deflection on the flaps. Both the Elevator and Canard will have field rate adjustments of about 5 degrees either way.  Flaps will require shop time but everything in the flap control unit is removable.

I have absolutely no Idea what to expect on a first flight with the Canard.  I hope some of you that have flown them can chime in.

Ken

PS The cell phone camera I use distorts things a lot.  The Nose is larger, and the tail is smaller than what appears in the picture.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 07:53:46 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2022, 07:49:09 PM »
I have a problem with finishing.  I cannot use any spray equipment where I am building.  Would it violate the BOM rule if I gave the plane to a friend to have it clear coated?   

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2022, 11:30:20 AM »
I am getting close to the point that many of the features of the plane are going to be enclosed and therefore very difficult to adjust.  The major one being the throw on the Canard.  Right now it is set at 10 degrees both directions with an adjustment capability of 5 degrees either way.  The 5 degrees adjustable is fixed by the design of the control horn but the 10 degrees base movement will be set.  So I have an effective range of 5 - 15.  If anybody has any thoughts on how much movement I should have for the Canard I would really like to hear from you.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline john e. holliday

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2022, 08:46:58 PM »
Ken, if you check th finishing sectin you will see several top notch pilots/builders have had their planes clear coated in paint booths by the person who has the booth or facilities.    D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2022, 09:08:52 PM »
Ken, if you check th finishing sectin you will see several top notch pilots/builders have had their planes clear coated in paint booths by the person who has the booth or facilities.    D>K

I think you should probably apply the clear yourself, although using other people's facilities is A-OK. Uncle Jimby got 20 points with a plane painted in his garage, replete with dog hair, so you don't necessarily need a booth. Might take some elbow grease later.

I also painted a 17 and 18 pointer in the same garage. So, it is not the facilities!

Brett

Offline Wolfgang Nieuwkamp

• Commander
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2022, 10:46:57 AM »
I am getting close to the point that many of the features of the plane are going to be enclosed and therefore very difficult to adjust.  The major one being the throw on the Canard.  Right now it is set at 10 degrees both directions with an adjustment capability of 5 degrees either way.  The 5 degrees adjustable is fixed by the design of the control horn but the 10 degrees base movement will be set.  So I have an effective range of 5 - 15.  If anybody has any thoughts on how much movement I should have for the Canard I would really like to hear from you.

Ken
Hello Ken,

since your canard is on the small side, you could use  a lot more travel. On my plane I use +/- 45 ° for the canard, +/- 20 for the flaps, and +/- 30° for the elevator.
Regards,

Wolfgang

Online Ken Culbertson

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2022, 10:57:47 AM »
Hello Ken,

since your canard is on the small side, you could use  a lot more travel. On my plane I use +/- 45 ° for the canard, +/- 20 for the flaps, and +/- 30° for the elevator.
Regards,

Wolfgang
If I remember correctly, yours is of the conventional "stab/elevator" design.  Mine is full "floating".  Would that make a difference.  My experience with sailplanes was that a floating stab needed about half the movement of a conventional elevator.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Wolfgang Nieuwkamp

• Commander
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2022, 09:24:11 AM »
Hello Ken,

Your memory is correct. I have no experience with floating elevators, so trial and error is the way to go...
Regards,

Wolfgang

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here