Building Tips and technical articles. > Building techniques

Endgame III Build

(1/19) > >>

Ken Culbertson:
This will be my first shot at a build thread.  I have followed others and was amazed at all  of the useful advice.  I like useful advice.  I am starting it at the design stage for a couple of reasons.  First and foremost, this will be a radical design.  I have been fascinated by canards since I was a kid.  Watching a video of Wolfgang Newcamp's Canard equipped plane in slow motion has me wanting to give it a try.  I am one of those fliers willing to try anything that might improve what i am flying and I always design my own.  Not because I think I am better at it but simply because I want to. 

So I will kick it off with a concept drawing.  When I get working plans done I will post them.  I really want anyone interested to "riip me a new one" if hey see something they don't like or have a better idea.  Intended power will be a Cobra 3520/12 or maybe a 3515/10 on a 2800 5 or 6s battery.

This will be a long build since I cannot actually start on it till the Fall.  Doing comprehensive plans and getting all the pieces ordered is therapy while my house and shop are rebuild from the fire we had in January.

The picture of Endgame II was taken two days before the fire.  I was 1 day from tricking Mike Scott into keeping it at his place and shooting some clear on it.

Ken

Randy Powell:
Sounds fun to me.

Ken Culbertson:

--- Quote from: Randy Powell on June 05, 2020, 10:00:48 AM ---Sounds fun to me.

--- End quote ---
I am enjoying working out all of the controls and goodies that I plan to add.  My theory is that if you don't try something you will never learn what to never do again! LL~

Wolfgang Nieuwkamp:
Hello Ken,

It feels very good somebody is interested in my design.
One comment:
The CG will be more forward as usual, so you will have to move forward the leadouts and the undercarriage.
This is the analysis I did for my Triala, the small black line is the calculated range (and it did work...)
If you would like, I can do the same analysis for your layout, which has even more leading edge sweepback.

Regards,

Wolfgang

Ken Culbertson:
You have some drawings on here somewhere so I should check to see how far forward the CG is.  The Canardless version has a CG that is way back due to the 30% stab.  I drew the leadouts an inch forward of where they are now and they cound go another inch forward.  I hesitate changing the LE sweep.  I have been using 1 1/2" for over 50 years.  The gear can move forward some without much of an issue.  From watching your video, it looks like the plane responds to the pilot about the same as a two surface ship.  You mentioned earlier that the plane was not fully trimmed when you shot that video.  I would love to see it trimmed.

Ken

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version