News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:25:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spinners  (Read 1256 times)

Offline Tom Schwartz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Spinners
« on: September 21, 2023, 09:01:28 AM »
Not actually a build question, I was wondering if anyone had a source for quality spinners with metal back plates? Dubros used to make them, but no longer. The plastic back plates just don't keep the prop nut tight enough, and they work loose,,, Yes I use an electric starter.
Thanks

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
  • Are we having fun yet??
Re: Spinners
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2023, 10:57:59 AM »
Try RC Dude Hobbies. They make plastic spinners with flush aluminum backplate in a few common colors. The pic is a 2" spinner on a Vector 40 with OS 46LA engine.

But a word of caution. These spinners are normally for use on electric models. If used on a glow engine model do not use an electric starter. Hand flip only to start. Reason, the spinner does not have pins (like on Dubro spinners) to transfer the force (torque) from the electric starter to the prop/engine).

They have been fine for me as I normally hand-flip start my engines.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2023, 06:19:47 PM »
RC Dude stocks spinners that have slots cut in the cone.  These are probably the spinners intended for electric.  I see solid cone spinners on the website and these appear to be clones of what was available from Great Planes.  The only difference is that the spinners from RC Dude come with backplate bushings of different diameters to fit a variety of shafts.

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2023, 10:56:22 AM »
Hobby King sells them, but I don't have any experience to confirm the quality :)

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/nylon-spinner-with-alloy-backplate-70mm-white.html

You can also find them on Banggood and Aliexpress
MAAC 8177

Offline Tom Schwartz

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2023, 09:50:39 AM »
Thanks for everyones input, it sounds like the only way to find the real deal is swap meets or fleabay... that's too bad.

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2023, 09:57:01 AM »
RC Dude stocks spinners that have slots cut in the cone.  These are probably the spinners intended for electric.  I see solid cone spinners on the website and these appear to be clones of what was available from Great Planes.  The only difference is that the spinners from RC Dude come with backplate bushings of different diameters to fit a variety of shafts.

The RC Dude plastic spinners (both slotted for air flow type and the solid type) are both intended for electric models. But can be used on glow engines if hand-flip started. Not recommended to use an electric starter as there are no pins to transfer the starter torque to the prop/engine. Only 2 small screws secure the spinner to the back plate. I have a number of these RC Dude spinners on my models, but I hand-flip start all of them.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2023, 01:08:29 PM »
The spinners from Great Planes had no pins, either.  Only the two screws attaching the cone to the backplate.  Yet, I see guys starting the engines with electric starters with no issues.

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2023, 02:59:27 PM »
The spinners from Great Planes had no pins, either.  Only the two screws attaching the cone to the backplate.  Yet, I see guys starting the engines with electric starters with no issues.

Just a recommendation. But as always pilots can do that they want and what suits them.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2023, 09:53:15 AM »
  Since no one makes metal spinners available here in our country any longer, I decided to try one of the eBay vendors from China. They are cheap enough and some include mounting hardware that can be used or discarded. I was looking for three blade spinners in 1 3/4" diameter, and picked the cheapest that came up in the search, which was a seller called "hxstartingline."  The spinners showed up in about 2 weeks, by way of Louisville, KY. Total cost was in the $25 range for both spinners and shipping. The quality was pretty good, and they are very light. One spinner has the center hole in the cone just a bit off center, but  the spinner turns true. They came with a smallish brass prop nut that might be too small for anything bigger than a .40. The hex isn't that large, so not a lot of contact area with the prop washer. I really prefer a steel prop nut. The threaded hole for the screw that holds the cone on was only 3mm, and the threads were very sloppy, but I was able to run a 6-32 tap in the hole and cut better threads, then ground down the OD of the head to fit in the cavity.. That felt secure enough to let me run it. I eventually made a threaded insert reduce the threads of a Great Planes adapter nut from 10-32 to the 6-32 and that works out better all around. The end of the GP spinner nut needs to be ground down a bit for some clearance. Now that i have that all figured out, if I need any more spinners in the future, I'll probably give them a try again. It's coming up on swap meet season, and I usually keep my eyes peeled for both 2" spinners and the mounting hardware. SIG used to make a pretty good plastic spinner that had a flat back plate but was all plastic, and I watch for those also. Think how many of these others are just sitting in work bench drawers and junk boxes across the country!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here