News:

• March 29, 2024, 05:27:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Elevator joiner substitute  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Elevator joiner substitute
« on: May 30, 2022, 07:19:09 PM »
I'm building a plane roughly the size of a Magician with elevator only (no flaps). The problem is I don't have a reliable elevator joiner wire right now. I do have a spruce or basswood spar, and a birch dowel, that could use instead. All I would need to do is cut a notch into each elevator,  epoxy in the joiner, and shape the whole thing (round the leading edge,  etc), as well as lengthen the notch for the stab in the fuselage to account for the wooden joiner.
I can also use some fiberglass to wrap the joint to reinforce it.

Before I actually do it, is this just a bad idea? I don't have any 3/32" wire handy, and would have to get a wire bender anyways, and all of that would take time (I'm being impatient about this stage).

Steve

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Elevator joiner substitute
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 07:25:28 PM »
Steve I have done that many times with no problem.

Mike

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 08:14:56 PM »
Steve I have done that many times with no problem.

Mike
That was how we did it "back in the day" of cloth hinges and plywood horns. So, have at it.  I would probably go with the birch dowel IF it is straight grained.  Bass splits easily and spruce will twist.  Got an old CF pushrod laying around?  Not as pretty but it will actually be stiffer than the wire.  Don't plan on tweaking though!

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 08:50:59 PM »
   Depending on how thick the elevator is, use something round. There are all sorts of bamboo products available in various sizes that are cheap useful for other things. Carbon fiber rod or tubing, aluminum tubing, even just plain old wooden dowels from the hardware store and you suggestion of using epoxy and glass to re-enforce the joint should give you some confidence that it will last as long as the rest of the model. Countless numbers of models have been design with elevator joiners like this through the years.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Miotch

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 07:34:04 AM »
Really late answer, but I've recently grown fond of bamboo chopsticks I pick up for free at eating establishments.  They make great cabane struts and "N" struts, and I wouldn't hesitate to use one form joining elevators.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 10:12:10 AM »
I myself haad a couple of planes break with wood joiners.   Just go get a good plier and some music wire from your local hard ware store.  Drillor slot your elevators for the wire and reenforce with cloth or fibre glass.  Makes for smaller opening in the rudder and/or fuselage. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 12:08:33 PM »
Really late answer, but I've recently grown fond of bamboo chopsticks I pick up for free at eating establishments.  They make great cabane struts and "N" struts, and I wouldn't hesitate to use one form joining elevators.

I had the same idea, but it didn't work out.  I was at a local Italian restaurant and asked for a chopstick. The waiter gave me a snotty look and handed me a fork.  I thought OK, I guess.  Looks a bit heavy, but I'll just cut a piece off the handle and file it down.  Things went downhill when I walked out of the restaurant with the fork.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 01:31:53 PM »
Go to your welding supply and ask for aluminum  welding rod.
Make sure you pick an alloy that can tolerate being bent 90 degrees [with your round nose pliers] without cracking
For a .40 sized plane with a 1/4 inch thick elevator I think 3/16" dia. wire would be plenty.
For a center bearing I've used several winds of thread or else K&S tubing.
File the "fangs" of your joiner to a point.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 02:19:24 PM by Chuck Matheny »

Offline John Skukalek

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2023, 02:53:47 PM »
You're killing me Howard

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2023, 03:15:44 PM »
I had the same idea, but it didn't work out.  I was at a local Italian restaurant and asked for a chopstick. The waiter gave me a snotty look and handed me a fork.  I thought OK, I guess.  Looks a bit heavy, but I'll just cut a piece off the handle and file it down.  Things went downhill when I walked out of the restaurant with the fork.

Good one Howard,
Full of Jive like normal, but it was very funny.

Mikey

Offline Miotch

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2023, 04:23:29 AM »

You are awe inspiring !!  Ban from my local restaurant is a small price to pay for a good strut.  Gonna move this one to the inboard wing and find a restaurant with heavier silverware for the outboard strut, so I can avoid adding tip weight.  And I can use the tines for leadouts !!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here