Building Tips and technical articles. > Building techniques

Does a Nobler really need?

(1/2) > >>

Dwayne Donnelly:
Brodak plans show 45 degrees of flap deflection, seems like an awful lot.  ???

doug coursey:

--- Quote from: Dwayne Donnelly on February 08, 2024, 12:20:48 PM ---Brodak plans show 45 degrees of flap deflection, seems like an awful lot.  ???

--- End quote ---
GO HERE THERES A LOT OF INFO ABOUT FLAPS ON THE NOBLER     https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/flap-area-differential/

wwwarbird:

--- Quote from: Dwayne Donnelly on February 08, 2024, 12:20:48 PM ---Brodak plans show 45 degrees of flap deflection, seems like an awful lot.  ???

--- End quote ---

Short answer is no.

Dan McEntee:
It kind of depends how fast your controls are and how the handle is set op.they can move that much but doesn't ne essarily mean you will actually move them that far. Bell crank line spacing, handle line spacing, horn lengths all play a part in that.

Ken Culbertson:
I have had perhaps a half dozen Noblers over the years and they all had one thing in common stock.  They have too much flap.  They want to turn around the aft fuselage.  Having less flap movement to elevator makes them fly the way I like them.  45 degrees is way too much control, except when it is not.   Some people make the full range of control through the handle to about 20 degrees.  It is plenty to fly a respectable pattern, even with a plane that really doesn't want to turn, like a Nobler but when you need it to save the plane after an unforeseen engine failure at the wrong spot, it isn't there.  The ratio of flap to elevator is far more important than the range.  "The Wall" will take care of that for you.  My advice on the Nobler is to set it up so that you have 30 degrees of flap and 45 degrees of elevator and hope that you never need it.  As a side, it will rotate in a corner more towards the front with this ratio and corner with less pressure.

Just me, others will have their favorite setup for this classic - Ken 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version