News:

• April 19, 2024, 03:43:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dixon sheeted foam wing help  (Read 1733 times)

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Dixon sheeted foam wing help
« on: May 09, 2019, 08:49:18 AM »
Have Tom Dixons Profile Vector 40 with sheeted foam wings and have a couple questions.

How do I mount a suspended bellcrank in this?

From what I can tell there isnt any visible spars so I just glue halves together n fiberglass the joint and thats it?

First time dealing with foam wing halves and  really dont want to mess this up.

Pics would be extremely helpful.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Tom Vieira

Offline Kevin Muckleroy

• Lieutenant
Re: Dixon sheeted foam wing help
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 02:18:14 PM »
If its a sparless core that is like what Windy would use. Check this video may help:

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 02:19:15 PM »
Thanks yall!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 07:50:19 PM »
Have Tom Dixons Profile Vector 40 with sheeted foam wings and have a couple questions.

How do I mount a suspended bellcrank in this?

Run the pivot rod out each side of the wing about 1/8", then use 1 3/4 x 1" bits of 1/16" aircraft ply with a hole through the middle on each side. Insert the pivot rod into each plywood brace, and then glue the braces on the outside of the inboard wing, and the rod to the braces. Obviously, sand the ends of the rod with medium sandpaper to rough them up, then clean them with acetone before gluing. Hold the braces to the wing with masking tape, and leave it sitting upright with the center section "up", so the epoxy doesn't run down the pivot rod into the bearing. When fully cured, make sure everything still moves and is not obstructed by the outer wing panel, then glue the outboard panel to the inboard, using tape to flex the plywood into contact with the sheeting, and then put the wing in the cradles to hold it straight. Then pull full "up" or "down" so the leadouts are not directly under the wing joint, to be dripped upon. Make sure it is straight, then leave it to cure. When done, use 1" or 1.5" fiberglass tape and epoxy over the entire joint top and bottom to reinforce it.

The load is then taken by the plywood plates, and transferred over the area of the plates to the sheeting. The biggest risk is locking up the pivot when glue runs down. I used to put a piece of paper with a hole through it and a slit on the rod to protect the pivot from glue, with strings running out the outer wing to pull them out later, but I have spars and a different arrangement now.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here