News:

• May 17, 2024, 01:26:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What fabric for cloth hinges?  (Read 3945 times)

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
What fabric for cloth hinges?
« on: January 05, 2010, 07:05:53 AM »
I'm putting a Magician together with movable flaps. These will be hard 1/8". My thought is to hinge these straight across with fabric over under hinges. No gap. No hassle trying to fit pin hinges in thin wood. What kind of fabric is optimum?

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
Re: What fabric for cloth hinges?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 08:06:27 AM »
Try polyester taffeta dress lining from a fabric store.  Look for the thinnest they have.  Pizza Thursday?  Tom

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 08:55:04 AM »
Yes! O I'll eat my usual weird salad (with anchovies) and steal (on the sly) some of the Cheney Freedom fries. (Gag.)

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 10:49:07 AM »
I think most cloth hinges that were offered in kits and by manufacturers were simple cotton percale cloth, same as you would find in cotton bed sheets.
For a $1.39, Brodak has what you need: http://www.brodak.com/shop_productdetail.php?ProductID=6508

Myself I would prefer cotton but I bet it really doesn't make a big whoopie what type material you use, so long as it is not something like thick plush terry cloth from a towel or washcloth. Common sense should prevail.

Better yet just use sewn thread hinges. They actually function better and are easier to apply.

On a related note I wonder how the cloth hinges were made that were supplied with the old Scientific kits? It was made of thin muslin cotton but had a water based glue so that you just wet it and stuck it in place... Can anyone clear that up for me???

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 12:03:37 PM »
If you like the old timey look, this is easy to do.  Glue spruce sticks (1/16" thick by whatever you need to match thickness of your surface) to the edges of the stab and elevator to be hinged, sand them to a smooth half round.   Punch starter holes with a pin every .25" then sew with dacron thread.  I call it a figure 8 stitch, same as on a baseball, only 1 thread instead of two.  Pretty much closes the gap and nearly zero friction..
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 12:26:12 PM by Allan Perret »
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 12:14:32 PM »
Taffeta or Rayon work the best. Another option is Gortex.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 04:31:11 PM »
An old bedsheet will give you a lifetime supply. I've been cutting hinges out of the same pillowcase for years.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Bob Furr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 02:16:30 PM »
Hinges made with cotton cloth will eventually break.   I have a racer or two that used the nylon tape that Goldberg used to sell that are 20 or so years old and they are holding up fine (but used as trainers anymore)...
Bob

Offline wmiii

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 03:24:44 PM »
 Bill Werage turn me onto ripstop nylon, found at any kiteshop, I got 60"x60" for 6.00, enough for a life time.

Walter  H^^
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 05:59:11 PM by wmiii »
walter menges

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 10:58:38 AM »
I have been using the hinges from Tom Morris. They are very thin, and work well. I apply about three or four coats of dope to the area where the hinges go, and then stick the hinges down with very thin dope. When covered they are almost invisible.
Jim Kraft

Mike Griffin

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 08:46:30 PM »
The cloth hinges you buy from Tom Morris are Dacron.  You can buy the dacron from Aircraft Spruce.  What I use is the super think dacron that you cover ultra light aircraft with and is shown in the middle of the page of this link I am posting.  You can buy a lifetime supply for very little money. They send it to you folded and you can cut your hinges from it.  I attach them with nitrate dope and after a few coats and some sanding you cant even feel the surface of them and they virtually disappear when you prime and paint the plane.  These are the only hinges I use.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/cs/dacron.html

Mike

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 05:28:23 AM »
       Dennis, I'm surprised I didn't see this earlier. Myself and other here have used Sig Koverall with very good success. Use the Testor's quick dry cement and it doesn't get any easier. Its a bit difficult initially to cut them without fraying so I cut more than I need. I believe pinking shears are the answer though. This would more than likely explain why the manufacturers of cloth hinges have the zig zag cut. I just use single edge razor blades to cut them. Paint doesn't seem to affect them either as in cloth hinges. I've installed them on many planes ranging from .020 to .35 size. I tried it one day when the plane I was building called for silk hinges. I find they hide very well using this method as they're very thin with a fine mesh which fills when using the above cement to install. I have a lot of scrap so let me know if you would like some. Ken

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 07:59:29 AM »
I just went to the fabric store last week to look for the ribbon like material my Mother used to use in sewing.  It had the zig zag edges and felt like a gauze material.  Made great hinges in that time period.  Could not find it, but found a ribbon like material that was 1/2 inch wide.  The edges are straight and finished.  No raveling.  There is over 15 yards of it on the spool/reel.  Have just did the flaps on the "Thunderbolt" full span.  Pictures later as they are still in the camera.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 08:44:32 AM »
       Dennis, I'm surprised I didn't see this earlier. Myself and other here have used Sig Koverall with very good success. Use the Testor's quick dry cement and it doesn't get any easier. Its a bit difficult initially to cut them without fraying so I cut more than I need. I believe pinking shears are the answer though. This would more than likely explain why the manufacturers of cloth hinges have the zig zag cut. I just use single edge razor blades to cut them. Paint doesn't seem to affect them either as in cloth hinges. I've installed them on many planes ranging from .020 to .35 size. I tried it one day when the plane I was building called for silk hinges. I find they hide very well using this method as they're very thin with a fine mesh which fills when using the above cement to install. I have a lot of scrap so let me know if you would like some. Ken

I like the Koverall explanation but since I have never used it before, I was wondering if I could try some of your scraps?

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 07:16:23 AM »
Beautiful job Allan, thanks for posting picture.  :)
AMA 59633

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 09:26:41 AM »
Well, I am a day late and a dollar short, but nylon taffeta from the fabric store is awesome, get the thinnest like Tom Hampshire says.   I think rayon would be the same type of material (??) which I like because neither will deteriorate in our (or our Grand children's) life times. 

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dave Heinzman

• 24 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 10:57:02 AM »
Just my opinion, the sig koveral looks exactly like the one's Tom Morris supplied. The Koveral will flex better one direction than the other. Cut a small piece and see which way is best and go from there.
I use nitrate dope to hold them on.

Dave Heinzman

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here