News:

• April 23, 2024, 01:10:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dissolving CA glue  (Read 1802 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Dissolving CA glue
« on: August 03, 2018, 06:46:42 PM »
Dissolving CA glue.

I made mess with a bottle of CA that spilled.  Acetone & xylene don't do anything.  I made some progress with 25 nitro fuel, but don't want the oil residue either. 

What (if anything) is the official solvent for CA? 

I have learned that over time fuel weakens CA, but I'm not that patient in this case.
Paul Smith

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Dissolving CA glue
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 06:55:27 PM »
Dissolving CA glue.

I made mess with a bottle of CA that spilled.  Acetone & xylene don't do anything.  I made some progress with 25 nitro fuel, but don't want the oil residue either. 

What (if anything) is the official solvent for CA? 

I have learned that over time fuel weakens CA, but I'm not that patient in this case.

Straight nitromethane, or CA remover from the hobby shop. Either takes a while to work on any sort of puddle, you sort of wear it away from the outside a layer at a time. Still, with patience, it works - I got it on a cloth couch in a couple of big, thick, lumps, and it was really no problem and it eventually went away completely.

Brett

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 07:58:54 PM »
Oh boy, now I need to reorganize my CA emergency stock.  I've always kept acetone on hand for that purpose "just in case", but now that you say that doesn't do the job I need to stock something else.
I'm not glad you had the problem, Paul, but I am glad you posted it here as information for the rest of us. Thanks.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 07:54:13 AM »
I got nowhere with both acetone & xylene.  I'll take a look at "debonder' at The Prop Shop today.  I expect that it will work, but at a very high price.  Maybe it's just pure nitro.
Paul Smith

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 08:24:53 AM »
Acetone works in most cases with hobby shop quality (Zap etc.), but I recently found out that it does not work with better Loctite stuff. Nitro is slightly faster. L

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 11:15:08 AM »
MEK works fine.  I know, I know, environmentally a bad idea but it works.
Mike

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 09:19:05 AM »
I tried both MEK and xylene without success.  I was trying to save a spool of lines that got CA spilled on it.  I just managed to dissolve the plastic spool.

It was something of an expensive waste of time, but I have good supply of strong solvents for future use, like paint brush cleaning and thinning epoxy.
Paul Smith

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 04:01:11 PM »
I tried both MEK and xylene without success.  I was trying to save a spool of lines that got CA spilled on it.  I just managed to dissolve the plastic spool.

It was something of an expensive waste of time, but I have good supply of strong solvents for future use, like paint brush cleaning and thinning epoxy.

Was there some reason that you didn't use CA remover intended for that purposes?

Brett

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 04:33:14 PM »
Mainly because it was priced at $4 per half-ounce. 

These products are generally repackaged bulk chemicals that can be obtained for something like $15 per gallon.

I had a problem that a half ounce was not going to solve.

Paul Smith

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 09:58:18 PM »
     You never mentioned what you spilled it on. If it was a spool of lines, just soak it in water, or antifreeze. Maybe even crock pot it. CA is not water proof over the long haul. If it was spilled in a blob on a work bench or something, take a length or maple motor mount stock and a small hammer and chip it off like a chisel. Or a hard piece of plastic. I will usually pop off in pieces and may take some of the surface with it, I had read in safety bulletins about kids swallowing some and it started to clog up their throat, but by the time they got the kid to the emergency room, his saliva had started to dissolve it already. So you could probably just spit on it a lot!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 10:27:27 PM »
Hello I am a messy builder so seem to spill it every where especially when the bottle clogs and I squeeze it as usual. When you are glued to your model no de-solver or acetone works fast enough and I often just cut away the model out of frustration. I can only conclude I am best using other instant solutions like a hot glue gun to tack assemblies together, then apply PVA or polyurethane (like Gorilla Glue). Problem as well is I have ruined too many cloths with CA (and now polyurethane) just trying to remove the stuff. Lack of patience = CA = instant problems.  ::)
Regards Gerald  #^

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 12:20:00 PM »
NOT to dis any one who spills or need help...BUT way back first time I got a bottle of Hot Stuff and it immediately heated up and bound my body parts to inanimate objects I developed strict protocols to prevent further loss of digits, limbs, or jeans to leg skin.....

Three quick and large Thin Zapp Hot stuff drops...missing the part and landing on your crotch   near important parts ---will get your attention real fast

I personally NOW wear a work Bib/Apron my wife made out of my old blue jeans

FWIIW No de-bounder ever freed my stuck fingers....BUT peanut butter did work to get some oil into or under the hardened glue and give me an area to peel back....slowly
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here