News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:34:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Detachable wings  (Read 3201 times)

Offline robertino619

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Detachable wings
« on: August 11, 2017, 04:01:00 AM »
Looking for construction article on detachable wings.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Detachable wings
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 10:43:09 AM »
Have you tried the search function of this forum. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 10:48:21 AM »
Have you tried the search function of this forum. D>K

I was going to suggest that, but I started by doing an example search and didn't find all that much.  Which is frustrating, because I'm pretty sure that there have been build threads featuring take-apart systems.  I'm hoping the authors of one or more of those threads will jump in and post a link.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 10:56:38 AM »
May have to go to construction section and just start reading.   When I first joined another forum as well as this I spent many an hour just reading.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 12:14:12 PM »
Search takeapart, single word and you will find more.
Fred

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 12:23:22 PM »
I think some of the search problems these days is related to the new software update

I have gone looking for things I searched for (and found) a few years back, and the current results are a lot different

I am also finds photo links from some of those older searches are now dead

I know there are several real good take apart threads with good photos and construction hints that I can not find right now
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 12:32:30 PM »
When I first searched takeapart using the upper right box, I got a whole list.  Now I find only my post using the upper right box.  If I use the search function from the header line and use takeapart, I still find several.
Fred

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 01:33:07 PM »
This should be of some help.  https://stunthanger.com/smf/building-techniques/building-a-take-apart/msg326522/#msg326522 I use a different bell crank now and better hardware, everything else works fine.
Mike

Offline Kim Doherty

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 01:26:01 PM »

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 01:36:36 PM »
Robert,
You may want to look for the construction article for Paul Walker's original Impact. His system worked very well and I have used it on two ships with great results. Just remember to build/install you bolt together components as a unit so they will stay in alignment fit correctly.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 06:09:31 PM »
Robert,
You may want to look for the construction article for Paul Walker's original Impact. His system worked very well and I have used it on two ships with great results. Just remember to build/install you bolt together components as a unit so they will stay in alignment fit correctly.

Best,    DennisT

If you speak of the 1991 FM article, that leaves the wing in one piece, which makes for a package (as far as I know) that's too big for checked baggage these days.

Current practice is to remove each wing panel, the tail feathers, and the rudder from the stab, then pack all the pieces into the smallest possible box.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 08:43:57 PM »
Paul now makes them pretty much the same as in my thread, I know because I made the hardware for him.  Like Tim referenced, checked baggage needs be no bigger than 62 inches, length, width, and height.  The controlling dimension is usually the length of the fuselage, the wings are only about 29 or so inches done this way.  It still requires a lot of planning to get things to fit. 
Mike

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 08:54:41 AM »
Robert,
You did not indicate what type of power plant you are going to use. Airline checking of IC ships seems almost impossible, you might be able to due air cargo. If you go electric the question is the battery packs, not sure what you can bring with you under current TSA guidelines. If you are doing a smaller Classic size ship the simple one piece wing method works fine. You can do it with normal hand tools and its cheap. Even if you do a larger ship you can ship via Greyhound bus with no problems. For a shipping container some have used a snowboard shipping box called a Sportube.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 11:58:29 AM »
You can do it with normal hand tools and its cheap.

Sorry for sort of sidetracking this discussion:

"Cheap" depends on your definitions.  I'm not sure how much Tom Morris charges for his hardware (if I do it I'll make the stuff, because I want to), so I can't even tell you if it's less than an engine (I suspect that yes, it is cheaper, and if it isn't then it's a fairly easy machining job so you may be able to sweet-talk a set out of a machinist friend).

But if you buy the hardware, then none of the systems that I've seen should require any tools more advanced than what you usually use to build a plane.

If you are doing a smaller Classic size ship the simple one piece wing method works fine.

I absolutely positively can't disagree here.

Shipping slimers internationally must be a solved problem, at least for now -- Dave Fitzgerald flies slime, and flies internationally.  Unless he gets a special pass for being an airline pilot, he has to know.
AMA 64232

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2017, 12:24:58 PM »
And Tim has an excellent observation I will add to

IMO two reasons exist for a take apart plane...

Fit an existing "to the field" transport Bike/car/truck/suv
Travel on Commercial aircraft

IN each case, these few forums have members who have already solved the problem

including how to deal with international flight for glow or electric powered craft

Remember Speed, Combat, Stunt, as well as all the other disciplines must occasionally fly commercial to distant or international contests

Each of the special interest groups has a history of how to do it

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2017, 02:05:55 PM »
Each of the special interest groups has a history of how to do it

Thanks for that perspective.  I kinda sorta forget that anything exists outside of stunt -- which is only to my discredit.

The last time I priced it out, in purely economic terms, if you don't work a job that requires you to use up your vacation days, at some point you start making enough an hour that it's cheaper to fly to the Nats from the west coast than to use up four to six extra days of your life driving each way.  I think I checked back when gas was $4 a gallon, and just the gas money in a reasonably efficient car was within 10% of the airfare.
AMA 64232

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2017, 06:23:03 PM »
Tim at the risk of hijacking this good thread

I have done the Math many different ways to decide on some distant travel venue/event

Cross country car is mostly (not always) more expensive 

IN fact a simple 5 hour trip for me ( Dallas, Houston, or Lubbock) with a good MPG car, one night in a motel, would be cheaper to fly to ( and a lot quicker)  IF I had a --out there --car ride-- to schlep me around

I am a big combat and stunt fan but do not have, or ever will have, the skills to compete---- much of my fun and travel is as an observer/helper

I would actually volunteer to be a judge but the costs of getting to most semi local events make that not very smart on my part

MY several trips to My roots--- Greater Seattle area for the Bladder Grabber... once driving and twice flying....were each in their own right very expensive... BUT I know for certain the BG #40 next year,  I will fly, motel, and rent car....

IMO  3 days on the road ....especially that route from Cen Texas, is BORING AND LONG

I guess one could note, I do not compete so there is no cost of equipment expenses....the real topic of this thread....

SO to get back on track

Except the WC over seas guys....I tend to think domestic USA Model transport (Bodak, NATs Muncie, Joe Nall, King Orange, VSC, GSCB, PAC events, California events)  is actually relatively inexpensive for ANY full sized model airplane

I mean --for a fair price Eric Rule, Mike Griffin , Randy Smith, John Brodak, and Dane martin can get to me a LARGE ARF or FULL BUILT model for each under $40~$50 .....

MY wife and I ship USPS large packages all the time and the costs are NOT unreasonable....and a few times the size was too large and UPS or FEDX priced way out of reason---- so the Grey Hound (BUS) Express cargo option was explored...yes a PITA for the sender and receiver... BUT is is a viable lower cost option

I recently inherited a bunch of hand made furniture from a family member ----over the phone, I was able to get a May Flower type Household Mover to pickup the cargo, properly prevent damage, and transport to a Texas close by warehouse for a very reasonable fee and estimated time line

Many years ago I learned of the Mayflower (TYPE) space Available shipping when I needed to get a motor cycle from Virginia to Texas

I think what I a saying is---- for some west coast guy who wants to attend Brodak 2018 with a LOT of planes... can be done and with proper planning not that intimidating

BUT to fly the WC in 2020 in east Soblvania...get yer collective stuff together  cuz yer battery packs are liable to NOT make it

Fred von Gortler IV

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here