News:

• April 19, 2024, 12:00:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Deconstructing models  (Read 1248 times)

Online Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Deconstructing models
« on: July 29, 2021, 10:07:31 PM »
I tried doing a search, but nothing popped up.  I’m trying to figure out the best way to deconstruct some models.  My wife’s pretty set on moving out of the area and finding a good place for retirement, and I’m about ready, too.  We’re going to just downsize and do a minimal move, getting rid of almost everything.  I’m good with that, but I still want to take a bunch of planes with me, mostly profile.   The question is how.  I don’t have room to take them as built, so I figured I’d deconstruct them to the ARF stage.  The tail surfaces are easy, a couple of minutes with a Zona saw and they’re free.  I’m just trying to figure out the best way to get the wings out without doing major damage.  The best that I can think of is drilling a small hole in the fuse at the wing leading and trailing edge, and using a flexible saw blade to cut the wing out.  Then re-gluing them in place should be pretty easy.

Does anyone have experience with deconstructing their planes purposely?

Mark

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
Re: Deconstructing models
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 10:28:24 PM »
If going across the wing , cutting it free , best to put say plastic sheet or tinplate both sides of the fuse , so it aint going to foul up the top sheeting / covering .

Ive cut straight over the wing , with say 30 degree to vertical - razor saw cuts fore & aft ( at the hinge line . Deep fuse ( on twins ) shallowest under .
Alternative is just cutting off the rear , say at the hinge . A angled cut or two .

Reglueing , a good few straight edges , some masking bar the cuts . Id think epoxy with a little micro ballons or suchlike would be best .

Rubber bands so its pulled in taut , unless you used a standard hack saw . Slow glue & having so you can see if its shifted . The olde ' Its gotta sit straight unaided ' helps .

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 02:19:23 AM »
"The horror! The Horror!" --Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 07:08:36 AM »
I have had to do that a couple of times while in the military.  I learned to make wings removable since they fit in the PCS move crates.  Personally I would cut the fuselage just aft of the wing highpoint halfway above the wing, same on bottom back to about 1" behind the wing.  Makes it like a plug in.  You can use cf tubes as dowels to pin it back later and imbed them in the top and bottom to join.  I have never tried this intentionally but it should work.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline mccoy40

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2021, 09:21:31 AM »
I've used an oscillating saw. it will cut threw the fuse around the wing pretty accurately and pretty quickly.

I use the most narrow blade I can find to do the job.

At the leading edge I use a coping saw to finish it off.

Otherwise I just take the plane to the field and fly it. That typically will separate the fuse from the wing in short order.   :)!  ~^
Joseph Meyer
Philadelphia, PA

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2021, 12:49:13 PM »
 LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Otherwise I just take the plane to the field and fly it. That typically will separate the fuse from the wing in short order.   :)!  ~^
[/quote]
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here