News:

• April 17, 2024, 06:13:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DARMA SILK SAGGY  (Read 2252 times)

Online doug coursey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
DARMA SILK SAGGY
« on: May 25, 2022, 08:05:11 AM »
i  got some colored silk HABOTAI 8MM ..put in wet  after drying 2 coats of 50-50 brodak clear and it wrinkled real bad.. put on a coat of full strenght and its still wrinked
AMA 21449

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: DARMA SILK SAGGY
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2022, 08:20:14 AM »
Was it tautening or non-tautening clear?  I haven't covered with silk, but my understanding is that you need to use the tautening clear for the first few coats.  Like silkspan but -- apparently -- worse.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online doug coursey

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 09:18:11 AM »
Was it tautening or non-tautening clear?  I haven't covered with silk, but my understanding is that you need to use the tautening clear for the first few coats.  Like silkspan but -- apparently -- worse.
Yes it was
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 10:01:08 AM by doug coursey »
AMA 21449

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2022, 11:29:20 AM »
This seems to be typical today. after 5 coats or so it will tighten back up. I've silked at least 6 planes in the last 10 years and have experienced this on all. Keep doping!!

Best of luck,
Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2022, 12:21:56 PM »
Agree with Tom, keep going with the 50/50 clear (full strength slows down the tightening) and around coat 8 it will tighten. BTW Brodak crystal clear does not shrink as much as SIG Super Coat Clear (done use SIG Lite-coat it is non-shrink). I had the same thing happen on my El Diablo. I hadn't done a silk covering open bay for 20 years and I thought it would be like riding a bike. Well, it was except the dope has changed. I put it on and it was tight and really nice. Then I started with the clear and got just what happen to you - saggy loose silk. After the 4th coat I was considering ripping it off but I posted on here and they said just keep going and they were right.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2022, 01:43:39 PM »
Brodak is nontautening or close to it.  I had the same problem with silk.  Windy advised me to put some Sig Supercoat over it.  It tightened right up.  Randolph tautenting will tighten it, too.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online doug coursey

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2022, 03:35:07 PM »
Agree with Tom, keep going with the 50/50 clear (full strength slows down the tightening) and around coat 8 it will tighten. BTW Brodak crystal clear does not shrink as much as SIG Super Coat Clear (done use SIG Lite-coat it is non-shrink). I had the same thing happen on my El Diablo. I hadn't done a silk covering open bay for 20 years and I thought it would be like riding a bike. Well, it was except the dope has changed. I put it on and it was tight and really nice. Then I started with the clear and got just what happen to you - saggy loose silk. After the 4th coat I was considering ripping it off but I posted on here and they said just keep going and they were right.

Best,    DennisT

I used the regular brodak clear not the crystal clear...i has 4 coats of which 2 were full strength and it real loose...i think i read somewhere you had to get the sizing out of the silk before putting it on... its the 8mm silk and not even close to being filled
AMA 21449

Online doug coursey

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2022, 09:28:36 AM »
Brodak is nontautening or close to it.  I had the same problem with silk.  Windy advised me to put some Sig Supercoat over it.  It tightened right up.  Randolph tautenting will tighten it, too.
Im going to try the sig super coat,i put 6 coats of the brodak clear ( not the crystal clear) and its  still really bad this is the 8mm silk. tried the 5mm silk and it was better but still not completely tight. i do believe its a dope problem..back in the day we used silk and dope from the airport and it worked real good.
AMA 21449

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2022, 03:49:41 PM »
Doug,
If you use the SIG clear use the Super Coat Clear not the Lite Coat. Do 50/50 with either SIG thinner or Brodak/Randoph thinner, don't use hardware store thinner. Keep going it will tighten may need several more coats cause it is thicker.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2022, 12:03:02 AM »
I used darma red 8mm and it was saggy until I used sig super coat. Tightened it right up after a couple thinned coats. Unfortunately not very fuel proof.

Online doug coursey

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2022, 06:26:54 AM »
Doug,
If you use the SIG clear use the Super Coat Clear not the Lite Coat. Do 50/50 with either SIG thinner or Brodak/Randoph thinner, don't use hardware store thinner. Keep going it will tighten may need several more coats cause it is thicker.

Best,   DennisT

i have 5 coats of brodak clear ( the last coat was full strength ) and its not even close to being filled or tight. the 5mm filled much faster and tightend up pretty well but you can only get  it in white which is ok if your painting the whole plane.... gonna order some sig super coat clear,from what i understand its compatable with brodak color so i can paint over the sig clear,i have a bunch of brodak colors i want to use..
AMA 21449

Online doug coursey

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2022, 06:48:22 AM »
I got the Sig Supercoat and its much better.tightened up the silk pretty good...its really thick you have to thin it a lot
AMA 21449

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2022, 09:42:15 AM »
I got the Sig Supercoat and its much better.tightened up the silk pretty good...its really thick you have to thin it a lot

That's Sig -- lots of cover per can, bring your own thinner.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online doug coursey

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2022, 06:18:31 AM »
Im going to need to use retarder,its drying way to fast..looks like its compatable with brodak dope,i bought a bunch of colored brodak dope i want to use..
AMA 21449

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2022, 11:35:44 AM »
Im going to need to use retarder,its drying way to fast..looks like its compatable with brodak dope,i bought a bunch of colored brodak dope i want to use..

What kind of thinner are you using? If a touch of retarder doesn't work for you, you may want to consult an automotive paint supply shop and see what he has in slower acting thinners. I can't remember the old DuPont numbers and everything else ahs changed so might as well start fresh and tell them what you are doing, and what your problem is, and they can guide you to the correct product. It will probably be pricey, so just save it for those special projects and use the cheaper stuff for everything else and cleaning your gun.

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online doug coursey

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2022, 02:17:05 PM »
Im using brodak thinner...i live in florida...i have the brodak retarder...
AMA 21449

Online doug coursey

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2022, 02:40:23 PM »
    What kind of thinner are you using? If a touch of retarder doesn't work for you, you may want to consult an automotive paint supply shop and see what he has in slower acting thinners. I can't remember the old DuPont numbers and everything else ahs changed so might as well start fresh and tell them what you are doing, and what your problem is, and they can guide you to the correct product. It will probably be pricey, so just save it for those special projects and use the cheaper stuff for everything else and cleaning your gun.

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee 
problem is i bought a bunch of brodak paint to use one brand of paint..the brodak clear might work with silkspan but not silk
AMA 21449

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2022, 03:59:09 PM »
   Well, I don't think you will have any problem using the SIG as a base under the Brodak colors. Look into Brodak dope and ask if they use a non tautening dope as the base for it. All of SIG's color dope is based on their Lite Coat low shrink dope. If the Brodak are not low or non shrink dope, just order in some Dave Brown Flex-All to add to the thinned colors when ready to spray. It is a plasticizer and will keep the dope from continuously shrinking. In the old days they just added some castor oil to thinned dope to do the same thing, and IO think that is what Flex-All is, going from a simple taste test with medicinal castor. Make up a few test panels and let each coat dry thoroughly and give adequate time to gas off a bit. Light sanding in between coats too held adhesion. This may take some extra time but at least you will know what you have and what will work. Keep the list posted on what you find out.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online doug coursey

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2022, 06:46:05 AM »
   Well, I don't think you will have any problem using the SIG as a base under the Brodak colors. Look into Brodak dope and ask if they use a non tautening dope as the base for it. All of SIG's color dope is based on their Lite Coat low shrink dope. If the Brodak are not low or non shrink dope, just order in some Dave Brown Flex-All to add to the thinned colors when ready to spray. It is a plasticizer and will keep the dope from continuously shrinking. In the old days they just added some castor oil to thinned dope to do the same thing, and IO think that is what Flex-All is, going from a simple taste test with medicinal castor. Make up a few test panels and let each coat dry thoroughly and give adequate time to gas off a bit. Light sanding in between coats too held adhesion. This may take some extra time but at least you will know what you have and what will work. Keep the list posted on what you find out.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

I will ck with brodak but im pretty sure all their dope is low shrink..at least their clear butyrate is... I asked about their Nitrate and it is non tautening
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 09:57:26 AM by doug coursey »
AMA 21449

Online doug coursey

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2022, 02:43:29 PM »
Used the sig supercoat and it tightened up real good.the 7mm silk takes a lot more dope to fill the weave than the 5mm..I have at least 10 coats on the 7mm silk and its still not  filled...I put 2 coats of brodak crystal clear over sig dope and it worked ok with no problems...
AMA 21449

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here